Cookie88

i-485 and DS260

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

From my understanding i-485 is filing for adjustment of status within the US after you've had your i-130 approved. And DS260 is applying for the marriage visa/green card application from outside the US after having i-130 approved.

My question is, let's say someone applies for the i-130 from outside the US, and has it approved. Is there any legal route to then proceed with the i-485 from within the US instead of the DS260? 

In the i-130 application it's stated that I'd be applying for the next step from Islamabad. I know Islamabad has a 2 year wait time just for getting interview appointments alone. Our i-130 was applied for very recently and judging by the timeline it seems it's a 4 year process at best for us to be able to finally immigrate. Just trying to weigh up options here after the i-130 part is done. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Where are you right now?  If you are outside the US, the I-485 does not apply to your case.  In addition, a person cannot enter the US via a non-immigrant route with the intent to stay and adjust status.  The exception is a fiance entering the US via a K-1.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I'm outside the US. I was wondering if there was a way to enter the US and be able to switch from having to do the DS260 to doing the i-485? I am guessing not... I would have to enter the US on an ESTA. 

I hope magically the situation in Islamabad improves by the time our I-130 is approved so I can be less nervous about this process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

I'm outside the US. I was wondering if there was a way to enter the US and be able to switch from having to do the DS260 to doing the i-485? I am guessing not... I would have to enter the US on an ESTA. 

I hope magically the situation in Islamabad improves by the time our I-130 is approved so I can be less nervous about this process. 

Sadly, there are no real short cuts. However, submitting an I-129F as a K3 will sometimes speed up the I-130 approval.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the chances of even getting a tourist visa with a I 130  in the system would be slim 

and if granted,  u would more than likely be turned back by CBP  as your I 130 shows immigrant intent 

It is best to have the USC visit as much as possible to strengthen your spouse visa request

If this was legal and possible,  we would all have done it, but its not

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Cookie88 said:

ESTA does not apply to Pakistanis.  Are you the US Citizen or the Pakistani spouse?  Anyway, it's visa fraud to enter on ESTA or any non-immigrant visa, with the intention to adjust status.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I am the Pakistani spouse but am a British citizen. So I can apply for ESTA but yes, as you said, it's not legal to apply for the adjustment by travelling there on an ESTA. 

Also, I asked a question previously about travelling on the ESTA while the I-130 is pending and I've been told few people are questioned, if at all, and if you are questioned just have documents at hand that show your ties to your resident country to support your return. I will most probably try a trip at some point on the ESTA. My children are little and I would like to ease them into moving to a whole new country by making at least 1-2 visits so they're mentally prepared as to where they're headed to. 

Etihad offers clearance in Abu Dhabi and then no checks at the POE in the US after that. Worst comes to worse, if I get turned away, Abu Dhabi is just 3 hours away. I can turn back 😔

Interesting what Crazy Cat has said. Will read into that.

Edited by Cookie88
reviewed

31 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

but am a British citizen.

If I were you, I’d request transfer of the case to UK when it gets to NVC. Then you don’t have to worry about them backlog at Islamabad.

Powerpuff - would I not have to be living in the UK to be able to request that? It had crossed my mind, but from what I had read online I had the impression I could only request that if I were currently residing in the UK, and that I'd have to remain in the UK until the DS260 process cleared? 

It's a little restrictive and complicated for me as my children's biological father is a Pakistani citizen. With our custody and parental agreement I would not be able to relocate to the UK for the duration of the DS260. I only have permission to relocate to the US with them after immigration stuff is finalized and granted. And I know he will not allow us wait out the immigration process anywhere other than Pakistan.   

Edited by Cookie88

2 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

would I not have to be living in the UK to be able to request that?

Usually not when you’re a citizen of the country. I was not living in my home country during the process but requested a transfer with a scan of my passport and it was granted. I have seen similar cases over the years on VJ.

4 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

And I know he will not allow us wait out the immigration process anywhere other than Pakistan.   

Ah, I see, that’s unfortunate!

If I can request the NVC transfer to the UK and get away with just travelling over there once the interview is granted for a short trip merely to attend the interview - that is very doable on my end. I can take the kids for short trips abroad during the immigration wait.

Edited by Cookie88

1 minute ago, Cookie88 said:

If I can request the NVC transfer to the UK and get away with just travelling over there once the interview is granted for a short trip merely to attend the interview - that is very doable on my end. I can take the kids for a short trip, just not months on end. 

I would definitely consider it, it is a possibility and I’ve seen it happen (well it has happened to me personally!). The only concern is if your case is put into Administrative processing after the interview, sometimes it can be lengthy. But no way of knowing, definitely something to think about in order to avoid that hellish wait at Islamabad consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.