SmPP

Brussels Embassy - Interview time

93 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi all - one final crazy question before tomorrow. 🫠 The Embassy website says no electronic devices allowed, which a phone technically is. I see in one earlier message, Thomas took his phone in. Can anyone confirm if phones are allowed into the Embassy/interview? Thank you!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Schsoe said:

Hi all - one final crazy question before tomorrow. 🫠 The Embassy website says no electronic devices allowed, which a phone technically is. I see in one earlier message, Thomas took his phone in. Can anyone confirm if phones are allowed into the Embassy/interview? Thank you!

I was allowed to take my phone with me, I only had to leave my car key behind at the security check.

I assume laptops and tablets won't be allowed in though.

Let us know how it goes! :)

Timeline

Thanks, @Benny1337

Unfortunately, because my husband did aid work in an African nation, which is now highly unstable, they require a police certificate from there. There was no heads up from NVC - they accepted what we provided to become DQed after all.  The certificate can't be obtained - we tried multiple times. 

Anyway, all the rules of everything/processes are detailed in the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), and there are some workarounds that we are pursuing. 🥴

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Schsoe said:

Thanks, @Benny1337

Unfortunately, because my husband did aid work in an African nation, which is now highly unstable, they require a police certificate from there. There was no heads up from NVC - they accepted what we provided to become DQed after all.  The certificate can't be obtained - we tried multiple times. 

Anyway, all the rules of everything/processes are detailed in the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), and there are some workarounds that we are pursuing. 🥴

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

You can see what is available here.

What have you done so far?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

You can see what is available here.

What have you done so far?

Thank you! We've seen that. But they (local government) claim they only provide the police certificate to citizens of that country who present themselves in person..despite what it says on the State.gov website. (We've tried twice.) We could go to that country and try, but there is a Level 4 Do Not Travel in place. 

Timeline
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Schsoe said:

Thank you! We've seen that. But they (local government) claim they only provide the police certificate to citizens of that country who present themselves in person..despite what it says on the State.gov website. (We've tried twice.) We could go to that country and try, but there is a Level 4 Do Not Travel in place. 

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the final hurdle..

Perhaps the embassy will accept your correspondence with said government stating they will not issue it, and waive the required document.. won't hurt to ask, I guess?

I do hope things work out for you two soon.

Edited by Benny1337

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Could you employ a local Lawyer to act on your behalf.

Obviously guessing as I do not know the details.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey everyone. Today my husband got this passport with Visa inside (YAY!) but not we are a little confused on two things, hoping someone here and help.

In all the documentation, it said we should get the visa in the passport AND a sealed envelope that we need to give to the immigration officer on entering the US. Nothing like that was provided at the embassy after the appointment, or along with the visa in the passport. Did anyone else receive it?

Hey everyone. Today my husband got this passport with Visa inside (YAY!) but not we are a little confused on two things, hoping someone here and help.

In all the documentation, it said we should get the visa in the passport AND a sealed envelope that we need to give to the immigration officer on entering the US. Nothing like that was provided at the embassy after the appointment, or along with the visa in the passport. Did anyone else receive it?

Timeline

Congratulations! I'm happy for you both!

11 minutes ago, homebound_24 said:

Check at the bottom of the visa, it should have the annotation"IV docs in CCD" indicating the sealed package is sent electronically and you don't need a physical version, so you're good to go with just the visa, the rest will be handled upon arrival in whichever US airport, by CBP!

If you don't have that annotation, I'd contact the embassy.

Congrats again!

Timeline
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, homebound_24 said:

Congratulations! 

Brussels embassy doesn’t provide sealed envelopes anymore as it’s all electronic. You should see a little annotation in the visa that states “IV docs in CCD” that’s basically stating all the info is available to them digitally. 

Edited by SmPP

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

I had my interview yesterday and it went well so I wanted to explain my experience. 

I arrived at the embassy at 7:55 (my apppointment was at 8am). I got through the gates after showing my passport and then went through security. I had to leave behind my apple watch. When I got in I got told to register at the cashier but it was not open yet so we had to wait a little. We were 6 people waiting. After giving my passport to the cashier he gave me a number and told me to go seat down and wait. I was number 4 in line. After an hour wait I got called at window seven. I was greeted by an older guy who was very funny.

Here's what he asked for:

- my passport

- my birth certificate

- my police clearance 

- my marriage certificate

He then checked everything and told me I was very organized and it was nice for him as it made it easier. He made some jokes too. Very nice man. This probably took 20 minutes. I saw some people be at that window for an hour so make sure to have everyhting ready and have all the docs with you. When I was done he told me to go seat down again and that they would call my number again to have the actual interview with the consular officer. 

After an hour and thirty minutes of waiting I finally got called to window three and was greeted by a woman. She was very nice. She explained that first I needed to take an oath so that's what I did. Then she asked me when we got married. Because it will only be a year in July, she gave me a paper to sign that explains that I will have a conditional GC. She asked if i had any questions and I got a copy to keep. Then she started asking questions. It felt like a normal conversation you would have with someone you just met. 

Here's what she asked me:

- What's your wife's job?

- What do you do ?

- When did you meet? 

She knew I had a J1 visa before and asked me if I met my wife during it which was the case.

- Explain to me the first time you met, where was it and how did it happen ? (So I explained it was my first day of senior year in the US.)

I'm pretty sure those were the only questions but I don't remember well because of the stress lol. She told me I didn't need the sponsor as my wife made enough.

She then told me I should get approved by the end of the day or on Monday and she gave me a QR code about domestic violence. 

I then just left and voila! Since my interview my visa has been showing "administrative processing" 

I was in that building for more than two hours. I am now waiting to hear back from the embassy

Edited by xleaass

Timeline

@xleaass Congratulations! You should probably hear something early next week from the courier and embassy.

Have fun packing your stuff, and enjoy neighboring Minnesota!

Hit me up for some Belgian beer :)

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, NiJOS7 said:

Hello Everyone. Sorry for posting this again. Any idea about timeline at brussels embassy? I got DQ in Jan 2024 and till date no response for interview. 

Is it normal? My PD is current. Category EB1A. 

Any news on your case? I hope you finally got invited as my EB2 case was recently got DQed.

On 6/6/2024 at 1:44 PM, SmPP said:

Brussels embassy doesn’t provide sealed envelopes anymore as it’s all electronic. 

I know this is an old post but just wanted to say that's only the case for family based IV's - employment based do still get the packet.

🙂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.