Gdhusa18

Filing under 3 year rule- Questions (Merged)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Gdhusa18 said:

Hi,

I have been married since 2016 and got my GC in 2019. My husband got his citizenship in  Dec 2020. Can I apply in Sept using the 90 day early filing, or do I have to wait for the 3 year mark in Dec. 

Thanks

I agree with @Mike E

I am Married to a U.S. Citizen | USCIS

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for naturalization under section 319(a) of the INA, you must:

• Be at least 18 when you submit Form N-400, Application for Naturalization;
  • Be a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States for at least three years immediately before the date you file Form N-400;
  • Have been living in marital union with your U.S. citizen spouse during the three years immediately before the date you file your application and while we adjudicate your application;
  • Have lived for at least three months in a state or USCIS district having jurisdiction over your place of residence;
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least three years immediately before the date you file your application;
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date you filed your application until the date you naturalize;
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the three years immediately before the date you file your application;
  • Be able to read, write and speak English and have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States (also known as civics); and
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States for at least three years immediately before the date you file Form N-400 and until you take the Oath of Allegiance.

For more information, see the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 12, Citizenship and Naturalization.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Gdhusa18 said:

Hi,

I have been married since 2016 and got my GC in 2019. My husband got his citizenship in  Dec 2020. Can I apply in Sept using the 90 day early filing, or do I have to wait for the 3 year mark in Dec. 

Thanks

I believe one of the questions when you will are filing goes as "has your spouse been a USA citizen for at least 3 years? So I am guessing it is safer to be patient and wait till his full 3 years of citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Gdhusa18 said:

coz two of the lawyers I spoke to told me I can apply 90 days early

Lol

I guess they have not handled cases like this before.

Experience does matter with complex cases. A lawyer wiith decades of experience either blew it on such a case, had  DIY client who blew it, or heard of a colleague who blew it.

Was your spouse your petitioner for your GC?

I will play it safe and apply in Dec. 

Visit this tool:  https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/learn-about-citizenship/naturalization-eligibility any time you think you are eligible to verify if you are eligible. 

In addition of your “resident since date” on your GC was incorrect, use the correct date when using the above tool.

Finally, if on or before the date of your N-400 interview, you reach your 5 year anniversary as an LPR, request to amend your N-400 to the 5 year rule so that your case uses simpler adjudication. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Gdhusa18 said:

Yes, my spouse was the petitioner for my GC. 

Good. Less chance an inexperienced ISO denies your case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

How did your spouse get his green card?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

I just had a consultation with a lawyer in my area and he said I don't qualify for applying using the 3 year rule. He said since I got my green card through my spouse, and he was not a citizen at that time, so the green card I have doesn't qualify for 3 year spouse based application. Was I reading the instructions incorrectly? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Gdhusa18 said:

I just had a consultation with a lawyer in my area and he said I don't qualify for applying using the 3 year rule.

Report him to the state bar.

He said since I got my green card through my spouse, and he was not a citizen at that time, so the green card I have doesn't qualify for 3 year spouse based application.

He is wrong. He is in good company, so many lawyers are. 

Was I reading the instructions incorrectly? 

You have been instructed correctly by each contributor.

It is truly sad that so many lawyers get basic issues of immigration law wrong. One wonders what use they would be when an N-400 interview goes off the rails.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Report him to the state bar.

He is wrong. He is in good company, so many lawyers are. 

You have been instructed correctly by each contributor.

It is truly sad that so many lawyers get basic issues of immigration law wrong. One wonders what use they would be when an N-400 interview goes off the rails.

Yep.  I don't that attorney interpreted this correctly.  Seems to me the OP will qualify to file in December.

To be eligible for naturalization under section 319(a) of the INA, you must:

• Be at least 18 when you submit Form N-400, Application for Naturalization;
  • Be a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States for at least three years immediately before the date you file Form N-400;
  • Have been living in marital union with your U.S. citizen spouse during the three years immediately before the date you file your application and while we adjudicate your application;
  • Have lived for at least three months in a state or USCIS district having jurisdiction over your place of residence;
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least three years immediately before the date you file your application;
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date you filed your application until the date you naturalize;
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the three years immediately before the date you file your application;
  • Be able to read, write and speak English and have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States (also known as civics); and
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States for at least three years immediately before the date you file Form N-400 and until you take the Oath of Allegiance.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hi,

I got my PR in June 2019, and my husband has been a US citizen since Dec 2020. I am planning on applying for marriage based naturalization in Dec this year. In the last 5 years I have 338 days outside the US, and in the last 3 years I have 294 days outside the US. During the pandemic we took a trip to help our aging parents from Oct 3rd to March 20th 2021 (167 days), and another trip from March 26 2021 to July 9th 2021 (104 days). One month prior to the first trip, we moved to our brother's house and continued to use that house until July 28th when we decided to move from the east coast to the west coast. My husband continued to work for his US based company during this time (we didn't intend to leave the US and was going to move when pandemic situation was ok and our parents were safe), and was on payroll with my brother's address. I was unemployed looking after our kids. 

Physical location:

2018-Aug 31 2021: East Coast

Aug 31 2021 - Sept 30 2021: Brother's place in east coast

Oct 1 2021 - March 20 2022: Parents place (outside of US)

March 20 2022 - March 26 2022: Brother's place

March 26 2022 - July 9th 2022: Parents place (outside of US)

July 9th 2022 - July 28th 2022: Brother's place

July 28th 2022 - present: West Coast

Should I put my east coast address for this whole duration, or should I put my parents address outside the US for those two trips? I have listed the options I have below:

"Information About Your Residence" Option 1:

Aug 31 2021 - July 28th 2022: Brother's place

"Information About Your Residence" Option 2:

Oct 1 2021 - March 20 2022: Parents place (outside of US)

March 20 2022 - March 26 2022: Brother's place

March 26 2022 - July 9th 2022: Parents place (outside of US)

"Information About Your Residence" Option 3:

Oct 1 2021 - July 9th 2022: Parents place (outside of US) --- This will be more than 6 months

Thanks

Edited by Gdhusa18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.