Nacafagno

Just Married, about to start the CR-1 Visa process [merged threads]

10 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I recently just got married overseas to my fiancé in the Philippines. We are about to start the CR-1 process and just wanted some insight on how the process is like. One question I have was if we have to wait for the PSA marriage certificate before we can file the I-130? Also what should be included in proof of relationship? Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Sam Burns said:

If you read the CR1 process guide here everything is answered there including docs, examples of proof etc

Perfect place to start, plus become an A-Student of the I-130 instructions.  The PSA marriage certificate is needed for the I-130 to be approved.  You can wait now, or have a delay when they send a request for it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Perfect place to start, plus become an A-Student of the I-130 instructions.  The PSA marriage certificate is needed for the I-130 to be approved.  You can wait now, or have a delay when they send a request for it.

So we already have Certified True Copy of the marriage certificate. Am I able to use that? Or should I wait for the official copy of the PSA

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Nacafagno said:

So we already have Certified True Copy of the marriage certificate. Am I able to use that? Or should I wait for the official copy of the PSA

I just answered that.  I'll expand.  What you have is not from PSA. It's from the local marriage authority.  The source is the issue. So....The PSA marriage certificate is needed for the I-130 to be approved.  You can wait now, or have a delay when they send a request for it.  Delay now or delay later.  Your choice.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Hijack comment split to new Thread****

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 9/8/2023 at 6:26 PM, Nacafagno said:

One question I have was if we have to wait for the PSA marriage certificate before we can file the I-130?

If you got married with a Philippine marriage license, then yes, you need to wait for the PSA marriage certificate before filing the I-130.  The LCR copy is not enough for US immigration purposes.

You did not get married through Utah zoom wedding, did you?  If you actually married via Utah county, then you will NOT get a PSA marriage certificate.  Instead, you could get a PSA ROM.  As mentioned in your other thread, PSA ROM is not required for the I-130, but may be required later for CFO and PH passport renewal.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends,

I'm working on filing a I-130 petition for my wife in the Philippines. We just got our PSA marriage certificate but we are stuck on the part where they require Additional Proof of Marriage. They state acceptable proof is: 

• Documents showing joint ownership of property
  • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together
  • Documents showing that you and your spouse have combined financial resources
  • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together
  • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit, dates and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of you marriage.
  • Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

Me and my wife do not have any of the first 3 options as we are recently married and don't share any leases, children, or joint ownership of property. Are the affidavits enough evidence? We can obtain many from family and friends. But just want to make sure I'm providing enough evidence. Also, what other relevant documentation could be used to establish an ongoing marital union? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

• Chancy changed the title to Just Married, about to start the CR-1 Visa process [merged threads]

*** Merged related threads.  Please post your questions/updates related to this topic in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

On 10/9/2023 at 5:23 PM, Nacafagno said:

Me and my wife do not have any of the first 3 options as we are recently married and don't share any leases, children, or joint ownership of property. Are the affidavits enough evidence?

No, affidavits are considered weak evidence.  Focus on stronger evidence of time spent together in person, such as passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts indicating you were together at the same location.  Support with some photos of the two of you together at different events, along with photos of you two with friends and family.

Our bona fide relationship evidence was just 12 pages, mostly consisting of passport stamps from our vacations and our photos together.  We had no joint property, no leases, no children together.  We didn't submit any 3rd-party affidavits.  Our petition was approved without RFE.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Timeline
On 10/10/2023 at 6:23 AM, Nacafagno said:

Hello friends,

I'm working on filing a I-130 petition for my wife in the Philippines. We just got our PSA marriage certificate but we are stuck on the part where they require Additional Proof of Marriage. They state acceptable proof is: 

• Documents showing joint ownership of property
  • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together
  • Documents showing that you and your spouse have combined financial resources
  • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together
  • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit, dates and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of you marriage.
  • Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

Me and my wife do not have any of the first 3 options as we are recently married and don't share any leases, children, or joint ownership of property. Are the affidavits enough evidence? We can obtain many from family and friends. But just want to make sure I'm providing enough evidence. Also, what other relevant documentation could be used to establish an ongoing marital union? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Note that you have misstated the purpose of that list.  First, it follows the words, "In addition to the required....." and then continues "suggesting" that you should submit "one or more....".  In cases like yours it will mostly be the last one, "any other....".  Concentrate on evidence of time together in person, like passport stamps, and/or boarding passes and some photos.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.