clericbeast

Question about UK benefits and public charge correlation.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted here and thankfully, for anyone who remembers me, I am doing so much better in general.

My soon-to-be USC husband (getting married next month, with a trip a week after to “consummate” the marriage as USCIS puts it lol) and I have sped up our timeline considerably and will be filing the initial form in November, so I want to be as prepared as possible and quell this last lingering worry that I have, as I have struggled to find information online that I can make sense of.

So, I am in the UK, and for years I have been receiving Universal Credit, which is financial assistance from the government whilst searching for jobs or if you are unable to work. I fit the latter category, but recently my health has improved a lot and I now have a part-time job. I still receive UC, which is only £300 a month, which helps to top up my wages as I don’t work many hours.

What I wanted to ask is if being in receipt of Universal Credit will impact the decision regarding the spouse visa to move to the US. My (future) husband meets the financial requirements for the visa, and, should he lose his job or take a pay-cut, we have multiple options for potential co-sponsors.

Are we likely to face issues for me receiving UK government benefits whilst I still live here? I only ever see information about US benefits, so I wasn’t sure if international benefits counted.

Hope to see some familiar names in the replies! You all helped me a lot when I was really anxious about this process, and I am pleased to announce I am so much better and excited (and nervous, of course) to start the process!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The equivalent benefits are not public charge in the U.S.  per https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/public-charge-resources 

I see no issue.

Thank you for asking this. I have been wondering this myself, as my husband (UK citizen) receives universal credit in the UK. Our petition was approved and subsequently DQ’d at NVC. His medical is Oct 2 and our interview is Oct 25 —so if you can send me a reminder after the 25th (I’ll try to remember on my own!) I can let you know how everything goes and if it was even brought up at the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Apart from its relevance how would it even come up?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Apart from its relevance how would it even come up?

That’s partially what I’m asking. Hopefully people from the UK who got their visa approved while in receipt of Universal Credit can offer some answer.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, clericbeast said:

That’s partially what I’m asking. Hopefully people from the UK who got their visa approved while in receipt of Universal Credit can offer some answer.

It is similar to asking about the experience of people who are left handed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, BLC said:

Thank you for asking this. I have been wondering this myself, as my husband (UK citizen) receives universal credit in the UK. Our petition was approved and subsequently DQ’d at NVC. His medical is Oct 2 and our interview is Oct 25 —so if you can send me a reminder after the 25th (I’ll try to remember on my own!) I can let you know how everything goes and if it was even brought up at the interview. 

Ahhh, thank you so much! I really hope all goes well for you and your husband. Has he filled out his DS-260 already? Did that ask anything about government benefits in his home country?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It is similar to asking about the experience of people who are left handed.

How so? Public charge is a factor to consider, and I have only ever seen information about US benefits, so I wanted to know if any other person in the UK went through the interview and had their Universal Credit brought up. That’s all!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, clericbeast said:

How so? Public charge is a factor to consider, and I have only ever seen information about US benefits, so I wanted to know if any other person in the UK went through the interview and had their Universal Credit brought up. That’s all!

I was not asked about Benefits.

17 minutes ago, clericbeast said:

This is of no issue whatsoever. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

34 minutes ago, clericbeast said:

Ahhh, thank you so much! I really hope all goes well for you and your husband. Has he filled out his DS-260 already? Did that ask anything about government benefits in his home country?

Np!

Yes, he has completed ds-260 and it was accepted at NVC. They ask things about work and education history, family info, address history, etc., but nothing at all about having used public benefits outside of the US. 

Will your husband earn enough financially to sponsor you, or will you need a joint sponsor? Luckily, I earn enough and we did not need a joint sponsor, so I am hoping  that will be the main thing they want to see for public charge, along with a clean bill of health and no criminal history. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Consular Officers are not concerned with how you support yourself in the UK.  Their concern is how you will be supported in the USA.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 9/6/2023 at 2:59 AM, clericbeast said:

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted here and thankfully, for anyone who remembers me, I am doing so much better in general.

My soon-to-be USC husband (getting married next month, with a trip a week after to “consummate” the marriage as USCIS puts it lol) and I have sped up our timeline considerably and will be filing the initial form in November, so I want to be as prepared as possible and quell this last lingering worry that I have, as I have struggled to find information online that I can make sense of.

So, I am in the UK, and for years I have been receiving Universal Credit, which is financial assistance from the government whilst searching for jobs or if you are unable to work. I fit the latter category, but recently my health has improved a lot and I now have a part-time job. I still receive UC, which is only £300 a month, which helps to top up my wages as I don’t work many hours.

What I wanted to ask is if being in receipt of Universal Credit will impact the decision regarding the spouse visa to move to the US. My (future) husband meets the financial requirements for the visa, and, should he lose his job or take a pay-cut, we have multiple options for potential co-sponsors.

Are we likely to face issues for me receiving UK government benefits whilst I still live here? I only ever see information about US benefits, so I wasn’t sure if international benefits counted.

Hope to see some familiar names in the replies! You all helped me a lot when I was really anxious about this process, and I am pleased to announce I am so much better and excited (and nervous, of course) to start the process!

The only thing that will matter in this process for you is your medical and your police record. Any government benefits will not matter because the U.S. government is not going to use resources to verify that information lol. Financially they will only care to see if your partner is able to be financially responsible for you, as they do not want to you become a public charge in the US. 

On 9/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, pushbrk said:

Consular Officers are not concerned with how you support yourself in the UK.  Their concern is how you will be supported in the USA.

I have been assuming that in order to judge how someone would support themselves in the US (or if at risk of becoming public charge) the officer would look at the totality of factors such as work history and government benefit receipt while in the home country…of course, in addition to medical & criminal history and whether the spouse/joint sponsor could also financially support this person. Good to know that is not the case. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.