blaze203

Almaty, US passport photos

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Are their photo printing services?

Assuming they print 4x6 inch in photos, take a selfie, crop to a 2x2 ratio, arrange in 6 copies in 2x3 grid and print them at the photo printer service.

Then make 3 scissor cuts: 6 photos.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

BLPRINT SAMAL-2, фотосалон, ТЦ Life Town, бульвар Мендикулова, 98, Алматы — 2ГИС (2gis.kz)

I've never been to Almaty but 2gis is a helplful website.

I think it goes without saying that taking a selfie is not a good idea.

1 hour ago, BenNomad said:

BLPRINT SAMAL-2, фотосалон, ТЦ Life Town, бульвар Мендикулова, 98, Алматы — 2ГИС (2gis.kz)

I've never been to Almaty but 2gis is a helplful website.

I think it goes without saying that taking a selfie is not a good idea.

Thank you! That is a helpful website, I have added it to my list. Yes, was not going to attempt a selfie, last thing we need is added stress because a photo is not right. Even though that can still happen when you use foreign services is my experience. It already took forever to get my father in law's picture for his Russian passport years ago because he is blind and one eye doesn't quite open, poor guy.

Isn't your interview coming up @BenNomad? Good luck!!!

Timeline
3 hours ago, BenNomad said:

I think it goes without saying that taking a selfie is not a good idea

Do tell. America is not Canada, even though granted its accent sounds like the 11th province

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Do tell. America is not Canada, even though granted its accent sounds like the 11th province

I'll give my experience in lieu of Ben's - I have dual citizenship, Dutch and American (husband is Russian). Every country has very specific passport photo requirements. I have tried the passport selfie applications and have had no success - it's hard to get the right background, lighting, and head size. In renewing Dutch and US passports I've had passport photos rejected even from professional photo places. When I renewed an ID last year in Holland, the photography place was was next to the office that renews IDs, so it does a ton of them. Even the photographer there even said sometimes they reject the photos, even though he believes they conform to the passport standards.

Secondarily to that is that the consular interview is incredibly stressful. People are on edge because there is so much at stake. People get denied visas because they can't produce the documents the office deems they need, and from what I've read here on the forum, it is not inconceivable they may ask for something you don't expect or have on you. So it is important to reduce any potential issue and get the things right that you CAN get right, such as passport photos. Last thing I would want is to be in a foreign country paying for expensive lodgings and being on a travel deadline and then have your application denied because of your passport photos and then somehow hope you can get a new appointment. To me it's a simple thing to avoid, just go to a reputable photo place and verify they do US passport photos and have experience.

Timeline

Canada explicitly rejects selfies. Aside from that I have never had a selfie rejected by any country, including the U.S. My results are always better. There are a multiple free apps and websites that crop the photo and insert the background.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:01 AM, blaze203 said:

Does anyone know a good address for US passport photos in Almaty? Trying to prepare as much as possible in advance of the consular interview. Thank you!

The place below took the best passport photo of me so far in my life, no joke. The people who work there know what they’re doing! It’s a small place, a bit hidden (you have to go up the stairs to get to it) but don’t let that fool you. Also, I think they’re cash only as far as I can remember.

Елена
https://2gis.kz/almaty/geo/9429940000795314

2GIS is a life saver, all the locals (including me) use it. Download the app, it’s like google maps 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Mike E said:

Canada explicitly rejects selfies. Aside from that I have never had a selfie rejected by any country, including the U.S. My results are always better. There are a multiple free apps and websites that crop the photo and insert the background.

The U.S. also explicity does not accept selfies, but I suppose if you have a good phone, good lighting and are good at taking selfies, they reviewer may never know it was a selfie. It just seems a lot easier and less stressful to pay the five or ten bucks for a professional photo.

no_selfies.thumb.jpg.ec1186d55d495dc6c4e1e7cba7c61dff.jpg

5 hours ago, powerpuff said:

The place below took the best passport photo of me so far in my life, no joke. The people who work there know what they’re doing! It’s a small place, a bit hidden (you have to go up the stairs to get to it) but don’t let that fool you. Also, I think they’re cash only as far as I can remember.

Елена
https://2gis.kz/almaty/geo/9429940000795314

2GIS is a life saver, all the locals (including me) use it. Download the app, it’s like google maps 

Thank you so very much!! I was hoping someone would have a recommendation with a personal experience. Really appreciate it. This forum has just been a lifesaver!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, powerpuff said:

the best passport photo of me so far in my life

General observation:  If we awaken in the morning, look in the mirror, and what we see resembles our passport or driver's license photo, we know we're hung over.  :P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

25 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

General observation:  If we awaken in the morning, look in the mirror, and what we see resembles our passport or driver's license photo, we know we're hung over.  :P 

Hahahaha so very true. I have a picture from walmart that I've kept because it is just the absolute worst picture of me ever taken. From Holland I have one with mask indents on my face and my hair looking like I'd been in gale-force winds on a bike. Delightful.

Timeline
11 hours ago, BenNomad said:

The U.S. also explicity does not accept selfies, but I suppose if you have a good phone, good lighting and are good at taking selfies, they reviewer may never know it was a selfie. It just seems a lot easier and less stressful to pay the five or ten bucks for a professional photo.

no_selfies.thumb.jpg.ec1186d55d495dc6c4e1e7cba7c61dff.jpg

That is a “photo tip” not a command.

My results are always superior.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.