finrazor

6 month travel after receiving K1 visa in home country

13 posts in this topic

We are deciding on whether or not to travel immediately to the US after hopefully receiving my fiancée's K1 visa after interview in Colombia OR travel to our second home in Honduras for a few months then go to the US from there. Are there any foreseen issues regarding this 2nd option? Can the beneficiary after receiving their K1 visa travel to another country then on to the petitioner's home country for marriage? Basically Colombia>Honduras>United States on K1 visa

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A few months?

1.  K-1 visa holder must enter US prior to visa expiration date.  The expiration date will be tied directly to the date of medical exam.

2.  Marriage MUST take place inside the US. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

K-1 visa holder must enter US prior to visa expiration.  Marriage MUST take place inside the US. 

Thank you my friend but I wasn't questioning where we get married. I already know we have to get married in the US and within 90 days of arrival. I'm asking about travel to another country PRIOR to arriving in the US to get married. Hope that clarifies better what we're thinking about doing. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, finrazor said:

another country PRIOR to arriving in the US to get married.

That will not be a problem providing the visa holder enters the US prior to the visa expiration date.  I specified that the marriage must take place in the US since a Naturalized citizen might not refer to the US as " petitioner's home country".  Good luck on your journey. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Marriage MUST take place inside the US. 

14 minutes ago, finrazor said:

on to the petitioner's home country for marriage?

Interesting phrase. What country is that?

The title suggests 6 months in another country. I believe that would invalidate the visa because of the requirement to get police certificates from any country where you have lived 6 months. Fortunately, DoS has a neat trick to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot:

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

K-1 visa holder must enter US prior to visa expiration date.  The expiration date will be tied directly to the date of medical exam

And the exam is 6 months or less before the visa expires. So 6 months in a third country is not possible.

I have seen on visajourney, visas get canceled weeks after they were issued. I advise  the beneficiary to book the next flight to the U.S. as soon as the visa is in hand.

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

I have seen on visajourney, visas get canceled weeks after they were issued. I advise  the beneficiary to book the next flight to the U.S. as soon as the visa is in hand.

Excellent point, @Mike E

Yeah... I was trying to word this question properly so excuse me for any confusion. I think you two get the idea though. She gets her K1 visa stamp in Colombia, we then immediately travel to Honduras for let's say 2-3 months (all within the 6 months required to travel to US after receiving K1 visa) then we go to the US to start the 90-day countdown to get married. 

We're trying to avoid not being able to visit our second home together for months and months waiting on green card or travel permitting. 

Edited by finrazor

Yes you can. I did this with my now-husband. He got his K1 and was given 5-6 months to enter. I went to his home country of Argentina and stayed for a month, then we backpacked Europe for a few months, and then we entered the US two days before his K1 was set to expire and got married 2 weeks later. No issue.

You just need to enter before the K1 expires. No one cares what you do before that.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

14 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

Yes you can. I did this with my now-husband. He got his K1 and was given 5-6 months to enter. I went to his home country of Argentina and stayed for a month, then we backpacked Europe for a few months, and then we entered the US two days before his K1 was set to expire and got married 2 weeks later. No issue.

You just need to enter before the K1 expires. No one cares what you do before that.

Thank you for answering!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

Just make sure you are taking the right expiration date when calculating the stay in Honduras. 
what I believe others tried to explain. K1 visa will have an expiration date but  the right date to start the countdown is the date on the medical. 
sometimes medical is done months before and that date trumps the visa date and shaves time of the K1 visa expiration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can travel before you enter the US. My wife now, after she got her K1, we traveled around to  at least 3 countries before entering the US. We only traveled around for a few weeks, not 2-3 months, but shouldn't be an issue. Just don't cut it too close, I would make sure you have a month a validity left when you enter to account for flight delays or unforeseen things.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

And, as stated, do NOT lose the passport with the visa in it!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.