usaman1999

Advisability of taking a trip abroad with fiancé before she comes to the US on her K-1.

10 posts in this topic

My fiancé's K-1 visa application reads "Approved" on the CEAC website, subject to final review and issuance. She has always wanted to visit Cancun with me and suggested that we do so before she comes to the US, after which she should have to remain in country for a significant time. One concern is what the Mexican immigration would think about a visitor with an approved US visa stamped in her passport. We tried visiting Cancun together in 2021 but my fiancé was denied entry because the hotel reservation was not in her name. She had flown in from Colombia and me from the US. In addition to that, would she face some undue scrutiny or have a hard time entering the US with her K-1 visa if the official sees a trip to Mexico stamped in her passport after issuance of the K-1 and prior to entry to the US? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 minutes ago, usaman1999 said:

One concern is what the Mexican immigration would think about a visitor with an approved US visa stamped in her passport. We tried visiting Cancun together in 2021 but my fiancé was denied entry because the hotel reservation was not in her name.

Given the history, she should skip Cancun. She will be able to visit Cancun when she gets her green card.

28 minutes ago, usaman1999 said:

My fiancé's K-1 visa application reads "Approved" on the CEAC website, subject to final review and issuance. She has always wanted to visit Cancun with me and suggested that we do so before she comes to the US, after which she should have to remain in country for a significant time. One concern is what the Mexican immigration would think about a visitor with an approved US visa stamped in her passport. We tried visiting Cancun together in 2021 but my fiancé was denied entry because the hotel reservation was not in her name. She had flown in from Colombia and me from the US. In addition to that, would she face some undue scrutiny or have a hard time entering the US with her K-1 visa if the official sees a trip to Mexico stamped in her passport after issuance of the K-1 and prior to entry to the US? 

Visit after she receives the GC. It looks like some people are getting their GCs in about 6 months these days. So, she might not have to wait all that long to travel after she enters the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

make the hotel reservations in both names / make sure she has a copy 

her K1 visa says "fiancee of _______"

make the flights to the US for both to travel together to the US from Mexico

she'll be able to explain u are meeting  and flying to US together 

without reservations the last time and counting on u for expenses,  it would have appeared suspect especially if the stay was a short 2 or 3 day one

Timeline

I think the point being lost here is that of she is denied entry to Mexico, she likely will not be given the option of deportation to the U.S.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

mike  mexico deports to home country (or when no passport is found they send back to last country visited)

her K1 visa would not let them send her on to US

the 1st time she tried to enter ,  she had no reservation 

they check that and amount of money for the stay plus the # of days u plan to stay in mexico

she needs this as a Columbian

Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM), and you can apply for it when you are on the plane or when you arrive in Mexico

that is because people traveling alone are suspect in trafficing if there is not a reservation and the trip is a short one

taking drugs out of Columbia or taking illegal money back that's what border patrol and all  the check points along the highways look for

when we left a cruise ship to  snorkel in the waters surrounding our port city , we got stopped 3 times and searched

3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

mike  mexico deports to home country (or when no passport is found they send back to last country visited)

the 1st time she tried to enter ,  she had no reservation 

they check that and amount of money for the stay plus the # of days u plan to stay in mexico

she needs this as a Columbian

Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM), and you can apply for it when you are on the plane or when you arrive in Mexico

that is because people traveling alone are suspect in trafficing if there is not a reservation and the trip is a short one

taking drugs out of Columbia or taking illegal money back that's what border patrol and all  the check points along the highways look for

when we left a cruise ship to  snorkel in the waters surrounding our port city , we got stopped 3 times and searched

Thank your the information. Just for the sake of information, she arrived with a reservation (in my name) and enough cash for the trip. Her belongings were confiscated and the bandidos stole her cash. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Precisely. Thus given the history of being denied entry, relative to most other visitors, it is probable she will fly to Cancun and then be deported back to Columbia. 

*** Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration -- topic is about international travel prior to US entry with K1 visa ***

5 hours ago, usaman1999 said:

would she face some undue scrutiny or have a hard time entering the US with her K-1 visa if the official sees a trip to Mexico stamped in her passport after issuance of the K-1 and prior to entry to the US?

CBP would not care where she travels before US entry.

As of April 1 2022, Mexico has a Pre-registration process explicitly for Colombians wishing to visit,  Apparently this is to address many instances of Colombians being denied upon arrival.

My K1 fiance had been previously denied entry under circumstances similar to yours--they stole his cell phone and continued to use it until he cancelled it in Bogota upon return.  When i filled out the reregistration form to visit last year, towards the end, one question asked if he had ever been denied entry. Then it asked how long ago, giving various ranges, the shortest being 0-5 years. When i selected that, the application was almost immediately denied.  My conclusion is that he likely has a five year ban.

You might want to check this for your fiance before making any plans to visit Mexico, even after she gets the green card since she will still be traveling on her Colombian passport.

Edited by PhatCat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.