Mickey + Roseni

Case approved and interview scheduled, but haven’t met in person in 15 months

19 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

Another concern was safety in Bogotá. Did you take taxis to get around? Or use some kind of app?

I have been to Colombia more than a dozen times--primarily Bogota but also Medellin, Cartagena, Santa Marta and Cali-- over the past few years to visit with my (now) fiancé who has lived in Bogota over 10 years. Except for Cali I have never felt threatened after following normal safe travel procedures.  Avoid known dangerous areas, especially at night; don't be ostentatious, especially with phones or other things easily grabbed. We do take local taxis a lot because the fares are incredibly cheap compared to NY or other  major cities. Uber also works there , as do local rideshare apps.  Have your fiancé deal with the taxis as in my experience even if you speak Spanish, as a Murican, taxis will try to cheat you on the fare.  And always have pesos to pay.

My advice is for the interview stay at a hotel within walking distance of the US embassy. There are several; the Wyndham Tryp is nice and reasonably priced.

55 minutes ago, PhatCat said:

I have been to Colombia more than a dozen times--primarily Bogota but also Medellin, Cartagena, Santa Marta and Cali-- over the past few years to visit with my (now) fiancé who has lived in Bogota over 10 years. Except for Cali I have never felt threatened after following normal safe travel procedures.  Avoid known dangerous areas, especially at night; don't be ostentatious, especially with phones or other things easily grabbed. We do take local taxis a lot because the fares are incredibly cheap compared to NY or other  major cities. Uber also works there , as do local rideshare apps.  Have your fiancé deal with the taxis as in my experience even if you speak Spanish, as a Murican, taxis will try to cheat you on the fare.  And always have pesos to pay.

My advice is for the interview stay at a hotel within walking distance of the US embassy. There are several; the Wyndham Tryp is nice and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately I’ve only been to Colombia twice, both in Cartagena. I never felt in danger and we did a ton of exploring and took at least twenty taxis. 
We almost went a third time to Medellin but there was a change of plans. After this process we hope to return to Colombia many times in the future. 
As far as taxis I completely agree. Outside of our hotel my fiancé was essentially my handler. She took charge of all taxis, restaurants and most interactions with locals. 

Thank you for the recommendation. We plan to stay as close to the embassy as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I want to chime in here with what Me and My Fiancé have been doing, and MAYBE someone can comment on it and give you a SOLUTION.

My fiancé’ is in Brazil, and I saw her Last year.  While there I contracted COVID, and had a really hard time with NO MEDICAL ABILITY available to me as they are on Socialized Medical… (just referencing).   So, when I got to the USA, we use “WHATSAPP” video calling almost EVERYDAY.  We have an ACTIVE VISUAL, and a INTERACTIVE personal Relationship. I was in the Military, and deployed overseas for several years and thats how I remained in CONTACT with MY FAMILY during that time period of hardship.  Me and My Fiancé talk about bills that need to be paid, and at times,…I have sent her money through the money sending app “WISE”, to pay for her bills, or for birthday gifts… etc… (I dont recommend that you send MONEY, but me and my Finance’ are COMMITTED and have progressed to our comfortable level of give and receive”).  Anyway….. it costs WAY TOO MUCH for me to try and fly and see her often, because I cant just leave and fly across the World,… I have medical complications (disabled Veteran) that makes traveling very ‘difficult’.  So,…

by Video calling and speaking everyday which is documented in both my and her phone records, WE have maintained ALMOST CONSTANT CONTACT VISUALLY, and PERSONALLY without daily lives and THAT should show for SOMETHING to the IO at the Embassy I would hope.  If you all reading this have input on this, as to whether or not this method of “KEEPING FACE TO FACE in this MODERN WORLD, to a point it should be CONSIDERED “just as good” to be having a personal relationship VISUALLY by VIDEO….. this COULD BE the help and ANSWER to the Original Posters Question.  Thank you 😇

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I want to chime in here with what Me and My Fiancé have been doing, and MAYBE someone can comment on it and give you a SOLUTION.

My fiancé’ is in Brazil, and I saw her Last year.  While there I contracted COVID, and had a really hard time with NO MEDICAL ABILITY available to me as they are on Socialized Medical… (just referencing).   So, when I got to the USA, we use “WHATSAPP” video calling almost EVERYDAY.  We have an ACTIVE VISUAL, and a INTERACTIVE personal Relationship. I was in the Military, and deployed overseas for several years and thats how I remained in CONTACT with MY FAMILY during that time period of hardship.  Me and My Fiancé talk about bills that need to be paid, and at times,…I have sent her money through the money sending app “WISE”, to pay for her bills, or for birthday gifts… etc… (I dont recommend that you send MONEY, but me and my Finance’ are COMMITTED and have progressed to our comfortable level of give and receive”).  Anyway….. it costs WAY TOO MUCH for me to try and fly and see her often, because I cant just leave and fly across the World,… I have medical complications (disabled Veteran) that makes traveling very ‘difficult’.  So,…

by Video calling and speaking everyday which is documented in both my and her phone records, WE have maintained ALMOST CONSTANT CONTACT VISUALLY, and PERSONALLY without daily lives and THAT should show for SOMETHING to the IO at the Embassy I would hope.  If you all reading this have input on this, as to whether or not this method of “KEEPING FACE TO FACE in this MODERN WORLD, to a point it should be CONSIDERED “just as good” to be having a personal relationship VISUALLY by VIDEO….. this COULD BE the help and ANSWER to the Original Posters Question.  Thank you 😇

Minimal contact works for some consulates and doesn’t work for others. 
It is a country by country and case by case situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.