SRM02

I-130 for Father and parents marriage certificate

6 posts in this topic

I am filing form I-130 (consular processing) for my father.  As one of the evidence I need to submit my parents marriage certificate. My parents are from India and after they got married, the marriage was not registered as it was not mandatory to register.  They got their marriage registered in 2018.  So the registration date is many years after my 18th birthday.

Can I upload this marriage certificate as evidence and file my father's I-130?  Is any additional evidence needed to be provided?  If yes, could you please let me know what additional evidence can be provided?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SRM02 said:

Can I upload this marriage certificate as evidence and file my father's I-130? 

If it complies with, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html yes you can upload it.

3 minutes ago, SRM02 said:

any additional evidence needed to be provided?

You might be given an RFE for additional evidence, such as DNA collected by labs authorized by the department of state (that lab in India will direct you to lab in the U.S. to collect your sample), photos of your father and you together before you reached age 18, evidence he lived with you before age 18, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
Just now, SRM02 said:

Regarding additional evidence, can I get two affidavits from family elders who attended my parents marriage and upload these affidavits in addition to marriage certificate when I file I-130? 

I would not unless there is an RFE listing this as an option.

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, SRM02 said:

I am filing form I-130 (consular processing) for my father.  As one of the evidence I need to submit my parents marriage certificate. My parents are from India and after they got married, the marriage was not registered as it was not mandatory to register.  They got their marriage registered in 2018.  So the registration date is many years after my 18th birthday.

Can I upload this marriage certificate as evidence and file my father's I-130?  Is any additional evidence needed to be provided?  If yes, could you please let me know what additional evidence can be provided?

I just filed for my parents and they are from India too. I read in another forum someone got an RFE and they submitted their parents wedding card. I would also upload any pictures from the weddings you may have. I uploaded their wedding photos on a word document and wrote a sentence about who was in the picture. 

5 hours ago, SRM02 said:

Thanks Mike.  Yes it complies and registered in accordance with Hindu marriage act.  

Regarding additional evidence, can I get two affidavits from family elders who attended my parents marriage and upload these affidavits in addition to marriage certificate when I file I-130? 

I would 100% do this because the more data you send the better. If you are obviously in a rush, go ahead. But I made sure to send everything first, including the i693 because I don't want an RFE

Hope this helps. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.