Thraff

K1 Visa Forms Question + Docs to bring to Consular Interview in Bogota Colombia

7 posts in this topic

Greetings,

My fiance and I are approaching the end of our K1 Visa Journey and I had a few questions about the steps leading up to the Consular Interview since I don’t want to mess anything up.

What we have so far…

> A completed and paid DS-160

> Paid our K1 Visa Fee ($265 USD)

> A Medical Appointment on the 16th of August at one of the approved doctors

> An ASC Appointment on the 21st of August

> Our Consular Appointment at the Embassy on the 23rd of August

> A Binder with the following documents that we will bring to all of the above appointments…

<> 6 Passport Photos of my Fiance (Beneficiary)

<> 6 Passport Photos of Myself (Petitioner)

<> Fiance’s Passport 

<> Fiance’s Certified Birth Certificate 

<> Fiance’s Vaccine Card 

<> Online consultation of Criminal Records and Judicial Requirements showing clean record for Fiance

<> DS-160 Confirmation Page

<> A Hard copy of Form I-134 Declaration of Financial Support Completed and Signed

<> 2022, 2021, and 2020 of Tax Returns and W2s for Petitioner 

<> 1 year’s worth of Paystubs for Petitioner

<> Official letter from Petitioner’s bank showing current balance and average balance for last 6 months

<> Original NOA2 Approval Letter

<> Copy of NOA1 Letter

<> Copy of I-129f Application

<> Evidence of Relationship spanning over 2 years which includes Photos with captions, Hotel receipts, Immigration Registration showing Petitioner visited Fiance in Colombia 10 times, and Airline tickets

Do I need…

Fill out an I-864 and upload/submit it digitally?

Complete a DS-260?

Upload Financial and Civil Documents to CEAC?

Submit my I-134 somewhere ahead of time (Digitally or by Mail)?

To gather and bring any additional documents not listed in the “What we have so far” section?

I am asking these questions because already have our 3 appointments for Medical, ASC/Biometrics, and Consular Interview at the Embassy which puts us at Step 10 (Interview Prep) on the Immigration Visa Flowchart from Travel.State.Gov, but I haven’t uploaded any documents or taken care of any of the items listed in my “Do I Need” section which are steps 4 to 9.  My gut is telling me that the flowchart on the Travel.State.Gov is just a generic flowchart and that the K1 Visa differs from this.  From the research I have done, I think I only need to complete the DS-160 vs the 260 and have a hard copy of form I-134 along with supporting financial documents vs digitally completing and submitting a I-864.

Any guidance or support would be greatly appreciated!  Our interview is at the US Embassy in Bogota Colombia if that is helpful.  I plan on updating my profile this weekend with our journey up to this point as well to add info to the database.  Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Thraff said:

Fill out an I-864 and upload/submit it digitally?

Complete a DS-260?

Upload Financial and Civil Documents to CEAC?

Submit my I-134 somewhere ahead of time (Digitally or by Mail)?

Items #1,2,3 are for immigrant visa cases.  Not applicable to K1.  Beneficiary typically bring the petitioner's I-134 to the visa interview.

3 hours ago, Thraff said:

Online consultation of Criminal Records and Judicial Requirements showing clean record for Fiance

Not sure what you mean by the above, but Colombian applicants need to present a Colombian police certificate "Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales" -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Colombia.html

My fiance and I attended the K1 interview in Bogota. on July 5 The process was remarkably well organized and smooth. You will wait outside until your visa type and appointment time are called over a loudspeaker. (Spanish only). You will go to a side entrance where they will check you in at a makeshift station. They did not asl for the appointment letter, the DS160 page or anything else. Instead they had notebook computers where they looked up his passport. and verified what they needed They only asked for his passport and his passport photos.

After passing through airport type security there is another makeshift station inside where they will hand you a laminated form with the documents and order you will present them. For us there were no divorces so this comprised the Police record (Yes, the one you can pull online), the sealed record from the medical exam and an original Birth Certificate. That's it!  From there you will go to a short line where you will present these documents at a bank teller style. window  We too had copies of everything up to that point in the process and nothing was required beyond the docs mentioned.

Then you sit in a covered outdoor waiting area and wait for your name to be called. For us the wait was about an hour and half. Our interview lasted less than five minutes and we were approved without even presenting the extensive documentation of our time together post the I129F submission.

Good Luck!.

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.