stephbd

N-400 August 2023 Filers

279 posts in this topic

@Cal&So can you please provide your timeline for N-400 at the Newark office? I was looking online and just saw the interview for July filers in the Newark office. Just saw that you are an August filer and have an interview in the Newark office. Can you please provide a timeline as to when in August you receive the interview letter, when you have the interview etc?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 11/16/2023 at 4:34 PM, naturelover0305 said:

Hi all.

I have been a silent reader for a while now but was wondering to share my timeline as I applied for N-400 on 08/15/2023 with pending I751(applied in August 2022, 3 yr. rule). So far, the only update until today is case received and bio reuse on my N-400. Also, "Case Received" on my I751 until today 11/16/2023. Below is my timeline.

I130, AOS and I756 Applied: August 08th, 2020.

Interview: October 7th, 2020

Case approved for I130, I485 and I756: November 1st, 2020.

Green Card and Employment Card Received:  November 4th, 2020.

I751 Applied: August 15th, 2022.

NOA 48 months Ext received: September 25th, 2022.

Case Received Update only until today. 

N-400 applied online: August 15th, 2023.

Receipt and Bio Reused Under doc Tab: August 15th, 2023.

NOA and Bio reused letter received in the mail. August 30th, 2023.

No updates yet!!!!

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED for Feb 29th, 2024.... Finally

Hi everyone! Great to see so many of you getting your interviews and oaths scheduled - Congrats!

I'm looking for people on this thread who are yet to hear good news. I believe it's just me an a couple of other folks. My FO is Boston, and I've heard that it's very slow and even stumbled upon a thread from 2022 where people with this FO waited 1,5 years in general to get naturalized... It's a little disheartning to see people who applied in November already got their interviews, while we're still here waiting. Just wanted to check in and support other August fillers who are still waiting for an interview! Let's keep in touch and update each other on our progress :)

I applied on Aug 24, 2023, have a pending I-751. San Fernando Valley FO. My case is still "actively being reviewed." Trying my best not to stress/think about this N400 process but I can't help it lol. Hoping and praying we all get our good news soon! 🙏

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya'll I'm freaking out! LOL

I checked online today and on January 11th they finally posted INTERVIEW SCHEDULED notice. My interview is February 22, 2024 in Albany, NY.

I wanna thank whoever was watching when I was booking a cruise that I chose the week earlier from my husbands week off of school! PHEW!

Nervous but happy! I'll keep ya'll posted hopefully it is a combo interview, to that end do you think it is a good idea to upload a letter kind of "reminding" them I have a pending I-751? Or should I not? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
On 12/24/2023 at 8:09 PM, aneeth said:

Hello All, 

N400 Filing : August 31 2023 ( Marriage based) 

Interview date : December 20 2023 Seattle field office. 

Security let me in at 8 AM, waited for 1 hr and Office called my number. 

Civic questions. 

1. When is the last day to file federal taxes
2. There were 13 original states , name 3
3. Name one state that borders Canada
4. What did Martin Luther Jr do
5. What are 2 parts of us congress
6. In which month we vote for president 

Reading : how many senators are there 
Writing : there are 100 senators.

Asked yes or no question’s from N400, adjusted few travel dates. I have 3 speeding tickets officer added them to my N400. 

Signed iPad with changed made and oath of allegiance. 

Printed paper and informed that she can not make a decision and have to send it to her supervisor. 

Walked out everything completed in 40 min. 

Happy Holidays everyone & good luck for who ever is attending interviews.

Hey! Did you get approved? 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

At 25 days until decision mark my status changed to “Your case is taking longer than expected to process. You will be notified if you need to take any action.” 😭 No updates on I-751 either… I feel like I will be the only one left waiting in this thread.. So much to thinking this step will be easier than all others before

14 minutes ago, Natasha Cota said:

At 25 days until decision mark my status changed to “Your case is taking longer than expected to process. You will be notified if you need to take any action.” 😭 No updates on I-751 either… I feel like I will be the only one left waiting in this thread.. So much to thinking this step will be easier than all others before

If you filed in August 2023, it only been 5-6 months. It's perfectly normal wait time. Whenever I read N-400 is the fastest and easiest step, I scratch my head. It is the most serious part of immigration journey, with USCIS granting the ultimate immigration benefit that's very hard to revoke. No wonder they take time. They have go go through entire immigration file to see if everything was done correctly at visa, AOS (if applicable) and I-751 stage (if applicable). As one lawyer says, it's their last chance to deport somebody. No that they would deport anybody who's case taking longer. They just examine everything very closely. Plus the usual backlogs.

Edited by OldUser

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

If you filed in August 2023, it only been 5-6 months. It's perfectly normal wait time. Whenever I read N-400 is the fastest and easiest step, I scratch my head. It is the most serious part of immigration journey, with USCIS granting the ultimate immigration benefit that's very hard to revoke. No wonder they take time. They have go go through entire immigration file to see if everything was done correctly at visa, AOS (if applicable) and I-751 stage (if applicable). As one lawyer says, it's their last chance to deport somebody. No that they would deport anybody who's case taking longer. They just examine everything very closely. Plus the usual backlogs.

You’re right. I just have to be patient. Especially with Boston FO having a history of taking awhile with n-400 submitted under 3 year rule.

USCIS listed Boston FO processing time at 7,5 months for N-400. My case would reach that at the end of March. Would you advise me to take some action then, or just give it time and kind of let it go. My GC is not expiring until 2026 so time is what I definitely have.

Thank you for your advice!

2 minutes ago, Natasha Cota said:

You’re right. I just have to be patient. Especially with Boston FO having a history of taking awhile with n-400 submitted under 3 year rule.

USCIS listed Boston FO processing time at 7,5 months for N-400. My case would reach that at the end of March. Would you advise me to take some action then, or just give it time and kind of let it go. My GC is not expiring until 2026 so time is what I definitely have.

Thank you for your advice!

You can start with inquiry into your case when it's outside of normal processing times. This can be filed electronically https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Then, you can involve a congressman.

Finally, if neither works, you can file Writ of Mandamus to get a decision. This can be done yourself for $402 or with a lawyer for ~$5000. This forces USCIS to take some action.

Or you can keep waiting.

My wife's immigration journey ended at the Washington, D.C. field office (Fairfax, VA) on January 6, 2024, oath ceremony! 😅 👏

Although, my wife and family arrived 30 minutes early for an 11:15 AM oath ceremony, the ceremony didn't take place until 12:20 PM.

USCIS scheduled oath ceremonies back to back, every 15 minutes for hundreds of N-400 applicants.  There was a very long line for 10:30, 10:45, 11:00 AM groups still waiting outside and before our 11:15 AM group. It was a cold, wet and windy day for an 1-1/2 hours wait outdoors. 🥶 

Thank you, Visa Journey for this platform and all the great information and ways that you've helped my family navigate the immigration process.  Thanks also to all the Visa Journey members that use this platform to exchange information, which I know to be  an excellent source of help!  We could not have done it with out the Visa Journey community. 👏👏👏

For those of you that are still waiting for your N-400 interviews and/or oath ceremonies, Congratulations!  You are so close to becoming  U.S. Citizens! 🎉👏

NOTES: 

Filed N-400 on 08/02/2023.  NOA dated 08/03/2023.

N-400 interview was scheduled on 09/28/2023

Attended/passed N-400 interview on 11/03/2023.  I-751 still indicated "finger prints reused."  The Immigration Officer (IO) said that the N-400 application thoroughly proved a bonafide marriage. The IO mentioned that because we had a child, that also reflected highly on my wife's case.  The officer said that she was satisfied with the quality of evidence provided, but she could not approve the N-400 until after the I-751 was approved. The IO did not review any of the long questions in the back of the N-400. 

Received letter from the Potomac Service Center on 11/06/2023, stating that the I-751 was being transferred to the National Benefits Center, "in order to speed up processing."  We didn't have a joint I-751/N-400 interview, although my wife requested a combination interview on her N-400 application.

I-751 and N-400 Approved on 11/15/2023.

Oath Ceremony Scheduled on 12/19/2023.  IO told my wife that she should expect to receive have her oath ceremony by the end of November or early in December. However, once that window for attending the oath ceremony letter passed, we inquired as to when my wife can expect to attend the oath ceremony. We were told "ceremony will be scheduled." It's possible that the ball was dropped between the NBC and Washington, D.C. field office for scheduling the oath ceremony. Based on what I've seen at the Fairfax, VA field office with other cases, attending the oath ceremony seven weeks after passing the N-400 interview is abnormally longer than usual.  However, we're happy to be finished with USCIS and this extensive immigration process.

We're so grateful for filing the N-400 online because one of the benefits was being able to download the oath ceremony letter two weeks early. The original oath ceremony letter was received a few days of the oath ceremony.

Received new U.S.A. passport on 01/22/2024. Once oath ceremony date confirmed, passport appointment scheduled at local USPS on 01/08/2024. We would have received the new passport in 12 days, but the winter storm caused a delay.

Registered to vote on 01/07/2024.

Timeline
8 hours ago, TGregorio said:

My wife's immigration journey ended at the Washington, D.C. field office (Fairfax, VA) on January 6, 2024, oath ceremony! 😅 👏

Although, my wife and family arrived 30 minutes early for an 11:15 AM oath ceremony, the ceremony didn't take place until 12:20 PM.

USCIS scheduled oath ceremonies back to back, every 15 minutes for hundreds of N-400 applicants.  There was a very long line for 10:30, 10:45, 11:00 AM groups still waiting outside and before our 11:15 AM group. It was a cold, wet and windy day for an 1-1/2 hours wait outdoors. 🥶 

Thank you, Visa Journey for this platform and all the great information and ways that you've helped my family navigate the immigration process.  Thanks also to all the Visa Journey members that use this platform to exchange information, which I know to be  an excellent source of help!  We could not have done it with out the Visa Journey community. 👏👏👏

For those of you that are still waiting for your N-400 interviews and/or oath ceremonies, Congratulations!  You are so close to becoming  U.S. Citizens! 🎉👏

NOTES: 

Filed N-400 on 08/02/2023.  NOA dated 08/03/2023.

N-400 interview was scheduled on 09/28/2023

Attended/passed N-400 interview on 11/03/2023.  I-751 still indicated "finger prints reused."  The Immigration Officer (IO) said that the N-400 application thoroughly proved a bonafide marriage. The IO mentioned that because we had a child, that also reflected highly on my wife's case.  The officer said that she was satisfied with the quality of evidence provided, but she could not approve the N-400 until after the I-751 was approved. The IO did not review any of the long questions in the back of the N-400. 

Received letter from the Potomac Service Center on 11/06/2023, stating that the I-751 was being transferred to the National Benefits Center, "in order to speed up processing."  We didn't have a joint I-751/N-400 interview, although my wife requested a combination interview on her N-400 application.

I-751 and N-400 Approved on 11/15/2023.

Oath Ceremony Scheduled on 12/19/2023.  IO told my wife that she should expect to receive have her oath ceremony by the end of November or early in December. However, once that window for attending the oath ceremony letter passed, we inquired as to when my wife can expect to attend the oath ceremony. We were told "ceremony will be scheduled." It's possible that the ball was dropped between the NBC and Washington, D.C. field office for scheduling the oath ceremony. Based on what I've seen at the Fairfax, VA field office with other cases, attending the oath ceremony seven weeks after passing the N-400 interview is abnormally longer than usual.  However, we're happy to be finished with USCIS and this extensive immigration process.

We're so grateful for filing the N-400 online because one of the benefits was being able to download the oath ceremony letter two weeks early. The original oath ceremony letter was received a few days of the oath ceremony.

Received new U.S.A. passport on 01/22/2024. Once oath ceremony date confirmed, passport appointment scheduled at local USPS on 01/08/2024. We would have received the new passport in 12 days, but the winter storm caused a delay.

Registered to vote on 01/07/2024.

Congratulations!!!! 🎉 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just finished by combo interview at the Newark office .. Officer said I passed .. gave me a white document to show I was there .. said he needs time to go through my documents and case and I should wait for something in the mail … is it normal ? as I’m worried 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Cal&So said:

Just finished by combo interview at the Newark office .. Officer said I passed .. gave me a white document to show I was there .. said he needs time to go through my documents and case and I should wait for something in the mail … is it normal ? as I’m worried 

Normal.  Watch for USCIS online notification that oath will be scheduled.  Congratulations!!!  You will be a citizen, and you have escaped the grasp of USCIS!!

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Normal.  Watch for USCIS online notification that oath will be scheduled.  Congratulations!!!  You will be a citizen, and you have escaped the grasp of USCIS!!

Fingers crossed .. thank you for this 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.