Family

Politics of Petulance (title renamed to match original post)

1,098 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

She says it all

What does 'woke' mean and why are some conservatives using it?

The definition of "woke" changes depending on who you ask.

The term has recently been used by some conservatives as an umbrella term for progressive values, often using it with negative connotations.

However, the term was originally coined by progressive Black Americans and used in racial justice movements in the early to mid-1900s. To be "woke" politically in the Black community means that someone is informed, educated and conscious of social injustice and racial inequality, Merriam-Webster Dictionary states.

A historical recording of the protest song "Scottsboro Boys" by Lead Belly in the 1930s -- as captured by Smithsonian Folkways, the non-profit record label of the National Museum -- is often cited as one of the earliest uses of the term. The Scottsboro Boys were nine Black teenagers falsely accused of raping two white women aboard a Southern Railroad freight train in northern Alabama in 1931 in a case that lasted decades, according to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/woke-conservatives/story?id=93051138

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can think of no end of words that have significantly changed their meaning just in my time, gay for example.

Unless I state otherwise I use words in their current normally accepted definition, and I hardly think it is necessary to explain woke, wokey etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I can think of no end of words that have significantly changed their meaning just in my time, gay for example.

Unless I state otherwise I use words in their current normally accepted definition, and I hardly think it is necessary to explain woke, wokey etc.

To be honest . I did not know woke was a bad thing ..until I saw a fellow target shooting at a case of beer😂

I thought it means something akin to enlightenment..so more like a spiritual awakening…. 

Timeline

They vote...

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Seems more appropriate here since it is an example of KK being a very petulant boss.  I have worked for petulant bosses before, it is usually a crutch they use for their own lack of skill and intelligence.  I would say this describes KK very well.

Kamala Harris's staff offer unique insights regarding her leadership skills.

Some women make great bosses. Kamala Harris is not one of them.

According to numerous victim reports, Harris is a workplace abuser and a living nightmare to work for. A walking, babbling mediocrity in a flared-leg pantsuit. Arrogant, bitchy, vindictive, and smug, she has fired or driven away 92 percent of her staff. The survivors who remain are either too battle-scarred or too scared to leave. Kids, blink twice if you need rescuing.

https://americanmind.org/salvo/the-final-girlboss/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

They vote...

Good question..let’s see

Gender wage gap persists in 2023Women are paid roughly 22% less than men on average

March 12 is Equal Pay Day, a reminder that there is still a significant pay gap between men and women in our country. The date represents how far into 2024 women would have to work on top of the hours they worked in 2023 simply to match what men were paid in 2023. Women were paid 21.8% less on average than men in 2023, after controlling for race and ethnicity, education, age, and geographic division. 

There has been little progress in narrowing this gender wage gap over the past three decades, as shown in Figure A. While the pay gap declined between 1979 and 1994—due to men’s stagnant wages, not a tremendous increase in women’s wages—it has remained mostly flat since then.

https://www.epi.org/blog/gender-wage-gap-persists-in-2023-women-are-paid-roughly-22-less-than-men-on-average/

Representation of women in senior leadership

LinkedIn data indicates that the share of women in senior leadership positions – where “senior leadership” is defined as Director,13 Vice-President (VP)14 or C-suite15 – is at 32.2% in 2023 nearly 10 percentage points lower than women’s overall 2023 workforce representation of 41.9%. Women continue to be outnumbered by men in senior leadership positions across all industries, especially so in fields like Manufacturing (24.6% women); Agriculture (23.3%); Supply Chain and Transportation (23.0%); Oil, Gas and Mining (18.6%); and Infrastructure (16.1%).

https://www.weforum.org/publications/global-gender-gap-report-2023/in-full/gender-gaps-in-the-workforce/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If DEI is so good, why are liberals complaining that some think Harris is a DEI pick?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

A Virginia man was charged with threatening to kill Kamala Harris.

According to an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint, 66-year-old Frank Carillo, of Winchester, made 19 threatening comments about the vice-president and Democratic presidential nominee, using the rightwing platform Gettr.

The affidavit cites 19 mentions of Harris on the platform by an email account associated with Carillo, including a vow to “cut your eyes out of your head while you’re alive ” and the statement: “Kamala Harris needs to be put on fire alive I will do it personally.”

Writing in late July, after Joe Biden withdrew from his presidential re-election campaign and Harris closed in on the Democratic nomination for November’s race, Carillo said: “Harris is going to regret ever trying to become president because if that ever happened I will personally pluck out her eyes with a pair of pliers but first I will shoot and kill everyone that gets in my way that is a ###### promise.”

The same document said federal agents “seized an RF-15 rifle and a 9mm handgun” from Carillo’s residence.

A woman with whom Carillo lived said he bought the guns in 2023 and 2024.

A comment from the account linked to Carillo, from February this year, said: “I HAVE MY AR-15 LOCKED AND LOADED.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/06/kamala-harris-threat

Timeline

Crazy is crazy....regardless of which political side a person is on.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

28 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Crazy is crazy....regardless of which political side a person is on.

True that.This fellow did not just shoot his mouth off on social media, he called it in

https://apnews.com/article/threats-guilty-plea-marjorie-taylor-greene-7e394b80ede02345c2f0880c77bac1dc

An Atlanta man pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday to threatening U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene in phone calls to the Georgia Republican’s Washington office.

Sean Patrick Cirillo, 34, pleaded guilty to a charge of transmitting interstate threats before a U.S. District Court judge in Atlanta, according to court records. He will be sentenced later

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

And the award for Dumb Democrat of the Day goes to …

… whichever Kamala campaign staffer thought it would be a good idea, after narrowing down the Democrat VP choice to the Governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro, and the Governor of Minnesota, Tim Walz, to announce that Tim Walz was the pick on the day she’s holding a rally in Philadelphia, PA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/08/06/tim-walz-kamala-harris-vice-president-running-mate/74512447007/

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline
8 hours ago, Family said:

Good question..let’s see

Gender wage gap persists in 2023Women are paid roughly 22% less than men on average

March 12 is Equal Pay Day, a reminder that there is still a significant pay gap between men and women in our country. The date represents how far into 2024 women would have to work on top of the hours they worked in 2023 simply to match what men were paid in 2023. Women were paid 21.8% less on average than men in 2023, after controlling for race and ethnicity, education, age, and geographic division. 

There has been little progress in narrowing this gender wage gap over the past three decades, as shown in Figure A. While the pay gap declined between 1979 and 1994—due to men’s stagnant wages, not a tremendous increase in women’s wages—it has remained mostly flat since then.

https://www.epi.org/blog/gender-wage-gap-persists-in-2023-women-are-paid-roughly-22-less-than-men-on-average/

Representation of women in senior leadership

LinkedIn data indicates that the share of women in senior leadership positions – where “senior leadership” is defined as Director,13 Vice-President (VP)14 or C-suite15 – is at 32.2% in 2023 nearly 10 percentage points lower than women’s overall 2023 workforce representation of 41.9%. Women continue to be outnumbered by men in senior leadership positions across all industries, especially so in fields like Manufacturing (24.6% women); Agriculture (23.3%); Supply Chain and Transportation (23.0%); Oil, Gas and Mining (18.6%); and Infrastructure (16.1%).

https://www.weforum.org/publications/global-gender-gap-report-2023/in-full/gender-gaps-in-the-workforce/

That old trope

You can do better

Timeline
6 hours ago, Pooky said:

And the award for Dumb Democrat of the Day goes to …

… whichever Kamala campaign staffer thought it would be a good idea, after narrowing down the Democrat VP choice to the Governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro, and the Governor of Minnesota, Tim Walz, to announce that Tim Walz was the pick on the day she’s holding a rally in Philadelphia, PA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/08/06/tim-walz-kamala-harris-vice-president-running-mate/74512447007/

Goodbye Pennsylvania electoral college votes.