stevnim

Why can a large age difference be a problem?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I'm not sure this belongs in this Discussion; please feel free to move it to the correct one.

I'm a US citizen and petitioning for my 31-years younger Ugandan fiance thru the K-1 process. We met online in 2019 and have met for a couple weeks in Dubai and also a couple weeks in Uganda with her family. We are curious why age difference sometimes causes a denial for a visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 minutes ago, stevnim said:

We are curious why age difference sometimes causes a denial for a visa.

Age difference alone will not be a reason for denial.  Each situation is different and unique, and officers are supposed to use their best judgment and apply immigration laws and field manuals fairly, without discrimination.  I have seen cases here on VJ, both K-1 and CR-1, where a big age gap could have been one of many factors that led to a denial (you can search for "age gap" here on VJ to read some of those posts and experiences), but in those situations, there were other issues/problems such as very little time spent together in person, very fast timelines for engagement or marriage, recent divorce, previous relationship with the beneficiary prior to divorce, high-fraud country for the beneficiary, fraudulent documents, misrepresentation on past visa applications, cultural differences, etc.  Age gaps can cause some officers to look closer at a file, especially if there are other complicating factors, but in the end, if you meet all the requirements and file a solid application with lots of supporting documentation, you have as much chance for approval as anybody.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Gender matters.

IMO from posts on visa journey, all other things being equal, a female U.S. citizen petitioner who is 31 years older than a male beneficiary, from a non OECD country is more likely to have difficultly than a male U.S. citizen petitioner who is 31 years older than a female beneficiary, from a non OECD country.

My thoughts

also CO  will look at how many divorces there are

religious differences 

but income and quality time together are the important issues

(in our Morocco experience,  it isn't normal for a man to marry a widow-like me /there are a lot of widows in Moroc  that stay unmarried)

I have a 40 year difference with my spouse and my K 1 visa was approved without issue.  We made sure all our paper work was correct and I am sure the fact that I visited 8 times for a total of over 150 days helped to show our relationship is real.  I have heard that age difference is always a concern but I honestly believe that if you are in love it will not be an issue.  Certainly different Embassies may deal with that differently, so I can only speak for our experience and the US Embassy in Indonesia. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In Latin American countries, the man can easily be 15 to 20 years older; presuming that nothing else is amiss, it won't raise an eyebrow.

In some cultures -- from what I see here, Middle Eastern and African -- cultural "red flags" include a young male beneficiary seeking to marry an older female U.S. petitioner who may not be able to give him children.  That tends to raise questions in the minds of consular officers.

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My short answer is NO, age difference will not be a problem. The consulate do not decide on cases based on assumptions but rather, on facts tabled before them in documents and evaluating the totality of the case's circumstances. Will noticeable age difference make them shine the light on your case? Yes or maybe, but they have to look at other factors. All you need make sure is that you have good physical time together.

On as a side note, i see lots of folks here throw around *cultural norms* in cases related to Africa when it comes to age difference. It is important for people to understand that what is perceived as cultural norms are mostly old practices that deprived people of their fundamental human rights. The consulates are well grounded in this and they see a rising numbers in people now acting on their own, so age difference is not a cultural thing,at least, not anymore, its just an assumption.  No one should be deprived of love just because of the year their spouse was born and NO, not having a child is not a big deal in Africa...Lots of people are starting not to have one here. 

Edited by AfroKing
typo error

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Now my main knowledge about Uganda goes back to Idi Amin, but I have my doubts there are many instances of men marrying ladies 30 years older than them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am the petitioner for my spouse (previously K1 Fiance). I am 16 years older, a female, I have been married a couple times before AND previously sponsored one of my ex husbands. He was approved with no issues in Nairobi. The job of the officer is to determine if the relationship is real. Age isn't a reason to deny. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My wife is 37 years older than me. She’d previously been married twice, I was married once previously. Not once was age difference mentioned in either of my K1 or CR1 interviews. This is just for whatever it is worth. 
All you gotta do is prove that your relationship is genuine. 

• 2 weeks later...

As I have posted the details here recently I will just summarize that my Colombian same-sex fiance and I have a 45 year difference and were approved without any questions as to age. The approved I129F sent from the embassy had been notated in red pen "2nd approved I12fF" and "45 years apart", so they did take note.

As my lawyer explained, neither is reason for denial but they will look at the application closely, mostly to protect the US citizen.  Since we knew this was likely to warrant a closer review, we front loaded the I129F with evidence of having known each other for 6 years and had met 4 times in the months prior to the I129F submission.

I was permitted to accompany him to the interview window and the officer did ask if I was the fiance. I agree with the previous poster that my presence helped confirm that we had a serious relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.