heynow

$400 to review i130 form and evidence docs- fair?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Did the i130 form and all supporting docs ourself in one well organized pdf, wanted to get someone to look over for any red flags, mistakes before submitting it online. A visa coach offers that for $400, worth it?  Any other cheaper options?

Thanks for thoughts!

btw how long after filing i130 online will they ask for the i864?

Edited by heynow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Completely up to you if you want to spend the money.  I know we did it all ourselves, but if you feel the need for peace of mind to have someone review it, that is your choice.

As to the I864, that will come in about 12 months or so when the I130 is approved by USCIS and it is sent to NVC.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, heynow said:

Hi all,

Did the i130 form and all supporting docs ourself in one well organized pdf, wanted to get someone to look over for any red flags, mistakes before submitting it online. A visa coach offers that for $400, worth it?  Any other cheaper options?

Thanks for thoughts!

btw how long after filing i130 online will they ask for the i864?

$400 to review paperwork seems excessive.
For I130- reviewer doesn’t know all your details (SSN, correct addresses, work history etc) so I would be worried they wouldn’t catch an error. I would have a family member double check the form. 
Then you could always write down the list of the documents you plan to submit on a post here on VisaJourney and we can tell you what’s necessary/ unnecessary or a red flag… free! 
Others have done it before. 

Here is an example of a post like that…

Edited by Redro

I suppose anyone can charge whatever they want for reviewing documents. $50, $1,500. At least they're calling themselves a visa coach and not misrepresenting as an attorney. ☺️

You see organizations warn of excessive delays, denials, and so on for errors in paperwork. While it's true if you don't fill out a form correctly or submit enough credible and reliable (or required) evidence, then it certainly could result in a delay or refusal. This is partially why USCIS has pretty detailed and lengthy instructions for every document.

I like Dashinka's answer: Peace of mind for some folks is a big deal. As for fairness of fee, short of looking at market trends, it's really anyone's guess or opinion. And even if there were market trends to look at it, it still comes down to: they can charge whatever they want.

At the end of the day, as many others, we have so far done this ourselves. As another person mentioned, the forms are kind of the easier part. And if you have any questions and you ask, you will get answers from knowledgeable and experienced VJ members. No one here has ever let me down when I've had a question. 

Good luck with whatever you choose. 🤙🏾

If it's a fair price, that's for you to decide. I did all the paperwork myself, asked questions here if I wasn't sure. No problems for me.

What makes you feel you need to pay someone to do so? And particularly that outrageous amount! -IMO-.

The instructions from USCIS and the guides here in the forum are so easy to follow.

And if you have a specific question, you can ask and the members will be happy to help.

I think all these visa services are a waste of time and money and based on what people have shared around the forum, they create problems rather than solve/avoid them.

2 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

.I think all these visa services are a waste of time and money and based on what people have shared around the forum, they create problems rather than solve/avoid them.

Especially when people don’t realize some consulting services are very country specific. What’s completely fine for one country is a red flag for the other. 

@heynow VJ has a fairly large user base of Filipina/US couples and they are a great resource. I suggest using a lawyer if you want a handhold during the process (but be aware that might not guard against an RFE) but questions regarding culture, civil documents, and nuances of medical through St Luke’s? VJ is the place to be… and it’s free! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.