Jimmyzr1

Delaying Paying for Green Card or Not?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to delay paying for GC or not until after Wife and step-son enter the US or not? After they arrive in the US, we have to move and change address because I'm not able to stay with them in my Senior Apts. Also, I would have to make sure the USCiS has my new address before paying the GC fees.

Are there any negatives to delaying or would it be better to just pay after interview approval?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I would wait: any upside to paying now is dwarfed by USCIS sending GCs to the wrong address.

17 minutes ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, 

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to delay paying for GC or not until after Wife and step-son enter the US or not? After they arrive in the US, we have to move and change address because I'm not able to stay with them in my Senior Apts. Also, I would have to make sure the USCiS has my new address before paying the GC fees.

Are there any negatives to delaying or would it be better to just pay after interview approval?

In my memory, they asked where to send the green card on the ds260 and when i entered the US… I don’t recall entering the address when I paid the fee…someone might correct me if I’m wrong. will you have moved when they arrive to the US because they can correct the address then. 

9 minutes ago, Redro said:

In my memory, they asked where to send the green card on the ds260 and when i entered the US… I don’t recall entering the address when I paid the fee…someone might correct me if I’m wrong. will you have moved when they arrive to the US because they can correct the address then. 

Most likely will have not moved by that time. I think my Apartments will maybe allow us to stay here between 2-4 weeks after they arrive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 hours ago, Redro said:

In my memory, they asked where to send the green card on the ds260 and when i entered the US… I don’t recall entering the address when I paid the fee…someone might correct me if I’m wrong. 

Logically, given the number of people who have no idea they need to pay this fee to get a GC (some figuring this out years after the fact after living in the shadows of society), to pay the fee requires a U.S. mailing address, 

Sure enough:

https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/enter-data

Confirm Your U.S. Mailing Address To Receive Your Green Card

Now that you have paid your USCIS Immigrant Fee, USCIS will prepare to mail your Green Card to the U.S. mailing address you gave the Department of State (DOS) at your visa interview. To ensure that we send your Green Card to your correct address, create a USCIS Online Account to verify or update your U.S. mailing address.”

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.