Akin Michael

Visa refused and being sent to fraud office

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Akin Michael said:

She's 34yrs, am 32yrs

Has she sponsored other spouses in the past?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

USC spouse needs to join us here for this discussion....asap.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

I think you didn’t understand him. When West African immigrants say they are going home for a project, it means they are going home to review or supervise the house or property they are building in their home country. It is part of a legitimate vacation.

For us vacation doesn’t mean going back home to do nothing. Vacations are wrapped around projects. The vast majority of Africans, who return home for vacation include working on their project. 

@africanZealot..You're perfectly correct 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
37 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

If she has not previously petition for someone

OP said yes to the question has she sponsored one or more spouses in the past.  So that could be the reason for the increased scrutiny.  Plus, we still don't know the circumstances of the relationship, number of visits, time spent together before and since marriage, etc.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Just now, carmel34 said:

OP said yes to the question has she sponsored one or more spouses in the past.  So that could be the reason for the increased scrutiny.

Yes, and why a fraud investigation would be occurring instead of just rejecting the OP's visa application. The wife seems like more of a concern to the US gov't than the OP.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

To the OP if your spouse has previously sponsored someone, then your application is not clean (doesn’t mean it’s fraudulent) and retaining the services of a competent immigration attorney is prudent.

Don’t waste too much time on VJ, we will be conjecturing because we don’t know everything about the case. A competent immigration attorney who you/she can discuss the history honestly and openly with is the best bet.

At this stage, I’m out.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, African Zealot said:

I think you didn’t understand him. When West African immigrants say they are going home for a project, it means they are going home to review or supervise the house or property they are building in their home country. It is part of a legitimate vacation.

For us vacation doesn’t mean going back home to do nothing. Vacations are wrapped around projects. The vast majority of Africans, who return home for vacation include working on their project. 

Could it be that the interviewer also misunderstood this?

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Timeline
21 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

To the OP if your spouse has previously sponsored someone, then your application is not clean (doesn’t mean it’s fraudulent) and retaining the services of a competent immigration attorney is prudent.

Don’t waste too much time on VJ, we will be conjecturing because we don’t know everything about the case. A competent immigration attorney who you/she can discuss the history honestly and openly with is the best bet.

At this stage, I’m out.

She already divorced him and I went in for the interview with the divorce papers. CO checked the divorce papers. Our lawyer is already looking into the case,but trying to wait for Embassy's response. May be we should tell her to wade in swiftly. Thanks for your advice. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

OP said yes to the question has she sponsored one or more spouses in the past.  So that could be the reason for the increased scrutiny.  Plus, we still don't know the circumstances of the relationship, number of visits, time spent together before and since marriage, etc.

She visited Nigeria twice and spent 4 weeks each... Even got pregnant but she had miscarriage when she got to USA. 

1 hour ago, African Zealot said:

To the OP, don’t rush to go and pay an expensive immigration attorney over this if you know, your marriage is genuine, it might be much ado about nothing. If she has not previously petition for someone and the marriage is bona fide, I don’t see the need to go and pay an expensive immigration attorney.

The airfare from Sierra Leone to Nigeria is about $750 so perhaps the consular officer found it a little strange that she didn’t take the opportunity to pass by Nigeria to visit you while on her vacation to Freetown. I would also find it a little bit unusual if I was a Consular officer.

Thank you for clarifying @African Zealot! If she decided to visit her home country and the house she is building instead of seeing her husband perhaps that raised a few eyebrows… I will not conjecture any further. 
Best for @Akin Michael to see his wife as often as he can… the only thing they can do now (visa wise) is wait for more information from the consulate.

Timeline

She visited Nigeria twice and spent 4 weeks each... Even got pregnant but she had miscarriage when she got to USA. 

That a plus, normally, to visit for weeks.  

Nigeria has a very long queue before interview. What years did she visit? when was the last time you saw her? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.