Jason and May

Manila Embassy K3 Interview Question(s)

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

My wife and I are preparing the last few pushes for her visa, and we're getting documents in order for her embassy interview. She says she is required to bring an original copy of my divorce decree from my previous marriage. In Wisconsin, we don't get original copies. The original copy stays with the clerk of courts, and we get a copy, which is what my wife has in her possession. 

My understanding from reading through the forums is that with the exception of the original AoS documents I submit through CEAC, only the beneficiary's original civil documents are required...? But I could be mistaken. 

Any VJ members who were previously married and their current spouse had their interview at the Manila embassy? What original documents pertaining to you was your wife required to present? 

Thank you, 

Jason and May

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jason and May said:

The original copy stays with the clerk of courts

Does the clerk of the courts also have the original?

25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Does the clerk of the courts also have the original?

The clerk of court's office is the only entity who has an original. The original civil document is the property of the court. Copies are distributed to the parties. 

Edited by Jason and May
Grammar

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jason and May said:

The clerk of court's office is the only entity who has an original. The original civil document is the property of the court. Copies are distributed to the parties. 

Then the copies provided to parties are original copies aka copies of the original from the clerk of the courts. Any wet and/or raised and/or embossed seal on the copy you got from the clerk of the courts?

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Then the copies provided to parties are original copies aka copies of the original from the clerk of the courts. Any wet and/or raised and/or embossed seal on the copy you got from the clerk of the courts?

It’s funny you mention that about the seal. My wife said the same thing. There could have been, and maybe I misplaced that copy along the way. This was 13 years ago. The copy I have now has no watermark, embossment, or stamp. 

I work in the county building. I’ll step over tomorrow and ask about this. Maybe they can provide a new official copy, if they do in some manner mark it. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jason and May said:

I work in the county building. I’ll step over tomorrow and ask about this. Maybe they can provide a new official copy, if they do in some manner mark it. 

I think that is a good idea.

In my case i did not have  of working in building where the county clerk works.

So after vitachek cheated me, I played hooky from work: book a same day round trip airline ticket to the county seat, flew in, got 3 copies of the decree with wet seal, and flew back. 

We have one VJ member right at this moment with a 221g from US Embassy Manila requiring a certified copy of a divorce decree rather than the photocopy that was brought to the interview.  It is best to assume the embassy is quite serious about that requirement.  Generally it would be a photocopy that is certified by the court clerk with a stamp or embossed seal and signature.  Any court has a records department that can supply certified copies of their records.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

20 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think that is a good idea.

In my case i did not have  of working in building where the county clerk works.

So after vitachek cheated me, I played hooky from work: book a same day round trip airline ticket to the county seat, flew in, got 3 copies of the decree with wet seal, and flew back. 

I’m glad you suggested that. I went over today, and they provided me a copy with a seal and signature.

Man…. I thought the $32 bucks was a lot today for a certified copy…I’m glad I didn’t have to catch a flight to go get it! 😬

Timeline
6 hours ago, Jason and May said:

I’m glad you suggested that. I went over today, and they provided me a copy with a seal and signature.

Man…. I thought the $32 bucks was a lot today for a certified copy…I’m glad I didn’t have to catch a flight to go get it! 😬

Vitachek cheated me for $100, and all it delivered was a FedEx’d letter saying the State of Colorado did not have a divorce decree on record. You got off cheaply and you got results. You have just one copy, for a divorce that was 13 years ago.  That is amazing.

I have read horror stories of people divorced for decades whose county clerk of the court no longer had a record of divorce. You were fortunate.

Protect that $32 document with extreme measures. Better yet skip lunch at work or any other discretionary expenditure for a while, and get more copies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.