AKteacher

Visitors Medical Insurance for In-Laws

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good news - my wife's parents and brother miraculously received 10-year multiple entry tourist visas, so they're coming from Philippines to the USA to visit!

My concern is medical insurance for them while visiting, due to the obscene cost of medical care in the USA.  I have been exploring different companies, quotes, etc. and there are a plethora of different plans covering (and excluding) things I never thought of and some things I never even knew existed.

Does anybody out there have any experience with travelers' medical insurance for visiting the US, particularly with claims. Many of these policies offer "reimbursement" for medical expenses (evacuation. etc.) and I would not want to pay six figures for some expense and then the company denies it, or other problems like that. Also, many hospitals mark up the bill by a tremendous amount if you're not in an insurance network. Denials due to anything deemed "preexisting," and so on, and so on... the possibilities are endless for being financially trapped and/or ruined by the US medical system. My wife's parents are elderly (late 60s/early 70s) and are relatively healthy but who knows, anything could happen.

I am willing and able to pay for good insurance, and I'm looking for a company that pays claims directly and doesn't unreasonably stall or deny claims. Can anybody recommend which companies are good, and/or which ones to stay away from?

I realize this topic has been addressed before but I am hoping to get information on specific companies, what to look for and what to watch out for. Thanks in advance!

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I haven't used travel insurance, but I can tell you that there are no perfect insurance plans for travelers.  There will always be high deductibles, exclusions, claim issues.  You probably just have to find one you can tolerate.  Good luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can not say I am that familiar with the Philippines Insurance market, I know quite a few of the major Internationals operate there.

With the amount of people travelling I am sure there are lots of options.

They are looking for Travel Insurance, Medical and Emergency Travel costs is a significant element but by no means the only thing.

Just like you would buy Travel Insurance in the US if you are going on vacation overseas then they would buy it in PI.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I used to work in a foreign embassy's Manila office. We processed a LOT of Schengen visas (tourist visas for Europe). One of the major requirements was travel insurance to cover their entire trip. No travel insurance, instant visa denial.

Applicants typically submitted Malayan, Axa, or Pacific Cross travel insurance. All three can be purchased locally by PH citizens. Ask your in-laws to look into that.

Edited by Adventine

Timeline

When my mother in law came to visit some time ago, I looked into various travel insurance policies. Most were, to be frank, useless. Remember, US hospitals by law must "stabilize" anyone that walks in the ER - that means putting a cast on a broken bone or stent for a heart attack. Research all the cash-based options for primary or urgent care near you, you may be surprised at what you find. There is a family practice doctor near us that is cash-only and charges $120 for a 30 minute visit. There are several urgent cares that charge a $400 flat fee for cash-paying patients. Most standard medications like antibiotics or inhalers are dirt cheap if paying cash. So for 95% of run of the mill issues (infections, broken bones), you'll probably come out ahead by self-insuring.

I'm not familiar with the Philippines at all, but do any health care plans there cover medical care abroad?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.