mugatu300

Information about Beneficiary in their Native Language- Chinese

15 posts in this topic

Hello All, I am a bit confused about what to submit for this section. My wife is a Chinese citizen, Canadian permanent resident applying for a US CR1. Her name in Chinese characters (i.e. 李敏杰) can be directly translated to english (i.e. minjie li). 

Her Chinese passport has both Chinese characters and english translation

Her Chinese birth certificate has both Chinese characters and official english translation

Her Canadian documents are all in english (i.e. PR card)

Her US B1/B2 vistor visa is in english

Our marriage certificate is in english

Her current address is in Canada

We do not have police certificates yet but I know the Canadian certificate will be in English and the Chinese one will likely be in Chinese characters and require an official translation

Do I need to upload any type of document for this section? If so, do I just upload a document with her name in chinese characters along with her current Canadian address in English? Do I use her parent's address back home in China instead of the Canadian address? Do I need to have the document translated to English by an official translator?

Thank you kindly in advance.

image (4).png

I submitted my I130 docs online in June so I can't speak to whether mine worked, but I followed Kseniya International's youtube guide on how to fill out the I130, specifically her section on the Native Language doc. All I did was write up a google doc with the name of my spouse in chinese characters, then in parentheses the English translation). Same with her address in China. I assume if the address is already in English then no need to include it. I think the youtube video is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6W5eJxMKyQ&t=1765s&pp=ygUba3Nlbml5YSBpbnRlcm5hdGlvbmFsIGktMTMw

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 7/7/2023 at 1:49 AM, mugatu300 said:

Hello All, I am a bit confused about what to submit for this section. My wife is a Chinese citizen, Canadian permanent resident applying for a US CR1. Her name in Chinese characters (i.e. 李敏杰) can be directly translated to english (i.e. minjie li). 

Her Chinese passport has both Chinese characters and english translation

Her Chinese birth certificate has both Chinese characters and official english translation

Her Canadian documents are all in english (i.e. PR card)

Her US B1/B2 vistor visa is in english

Our marriage certificate is in english

Her current address is in Canada

We do not have police certificates yet but I know the Canadian certificate will be in English and the Chinese one will likely be in Chinese characters and require an official translation

Do I need to upload any type of document for this section? If so, do I just upload a document with her name in chinese characters along with her current Canadian address in English? Do I use her parent's address back home in China instead of the Canadian address? Do I need to have the document translated to English by an official translator?

Thank you kindly in advance.

image (4).png

If you can enter the characters for her name only, do that.  Otherwise I would consider it not applicable.

Note that those Chinese characters DO NOT directly translate to English.  This is called transliteration.  They get translated to Pinyin, not English.  The Pinyin LI, Haoyang is the pinyin for at least four sets of 3 Chinese characters.  That's why they need the actual characters.  We used to have to provide the actual telegraphic codes at NVC stage too.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

8 hours ago, gtrplayr said:

I submitted my I130 docs online in June so I can't speak to whether mine worked, but I followed Kseniya International's youtube guide on how to fill out the I130, specifically her section on the Native Language doc. All I did was write up a google doc with the name of my spouse in chinese characters, then in parentheses the English translation). Same with her address in China. I assume if the address is already in English then no need to include it. I think the youtube video is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6W5eJxMKyQ&t=1765s&pp=ygUba3Nlbml5YSBpbnRlcm5hdGlvbmFsIGktMTMw

If she currently resides in Canada, should I use her Canadian address for this section? Her parents live in China but she hasn't lived at that address for close to 10 years now.

Regarding the english translation of her name in chinese, do I have to have an official certified translation? All her chinese documents already have an official translation. To be honest, dont really understand the point of this section on the I130

3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

If you can enter the characters for her name only, do that.  Otherwise I would consider it not applicable.

Note that those Chinese characters DO NOT directly translate to English.  This is called transliteration.  They get translated to Pinyin, not English.  The Pinyin LI, Haoyang is the pinyin for at least four sets of 3 Chinese characters.  That's why they need the actual characters.  We used to have to provide the actual telegraphic codes at NVC stage too.

I mean, do I just upload a .pdf document of her name in Chinese characters? To be honest, I dont understand whats the point of this section. All her other information we enter throughout the I130 application is in English and then all her supporting documents that we will need to submit later that are in Chinese have certified translations. So yeah, not sure what this section is all about...

Timeline
1 hour ago, mugatu300 said:

I mean, do I just upload a .pdf document of her name in Chinese characters? To be honest, I dont understand whats the point of this section. All her other information we enter throughout the I130 application is in English and then all her supporting documents that we will need to submit later that are in Chinese have certified translations. So yeah, not sure what this section is all about...

It's about seeing her information in Chinese characters, not just Pinyin. I explained you do not have a "direct translation".  There is no such thing for many Chinese words and definitely names.  Upload a document with her name in Chinese, and here Canadian address in English and get on with your life.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 7/7/2023 at 10:36 PM, pushbrk said:

It's about seeing her information in Chinese characters, not just Pinyin. I explained you do not have a "direct translation".  There is no such thing for many Chinese words and definitely names.  Upload a document with her name in Chinese, and here Canadian address in English and get on with your life.  

Should I put her english name in parenthesis after her name in Chinese on this document? If so, do I need to have an official translator sign off on that translation or is that not necessary? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, mugatu300 said:

Should I put her english name in parenthesis after her name in Chinese on this document? If so, do I need to have an official translator sign off on that translation or is that not necessary? 

She doesn't have an "English name".  Words mean things.  If you mean her Chinese name, in Pinyin, sure.  I'm not getting through to you.  What you see in Roman letters, such as Li Haoyang, is not "English".  It's an imprecise way of expressing Chinese words using the Roman Alphabet.  China developed this a few decades ago.  It's how we know it's Beijing instead of Peking, and Mao Zedeng instead of Mao Tse Tung.  But "Haoyang" is a "transliteration" not a translation.  You get the same "Pinyin" for up to 4 DIFFERENT pairs of Chinese Characters.

So, they need to see her NAME in the proper (Simplified not Traditional) Chinese characters.

You "translate" German or French, to English, but for Russian, Chinese, and Arabic (some examples) you transliterate.  But, I'm much more familiar with the inaccuracy of transliteration of Chinese than the other "alphabets".  The difference is in the "alphabet" the written language uses.

I'm no typing this just to exercise my fingers.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
On 7/7/2023 at 1:49 AM, mugatu300 said:

As an example, that is not a direct translation of her name in Chinese.  The closest transliteration to PINYIN (not English) would be Li, Minjie.  That first character is Li, not Min.  But that's incomplete because if you reverse the translation without knowing the true characters, you may get different characters.  Pinyin is imprecise because it does not include the TONE that goes with the syllables.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

As an example, that is not a direct translation of her name in Chinese.  The closest transliteration to PINYIN (not English) would be Li, Minjie.  That first character is Li, not Min.  But that's incomplete because if you reverse the translation without knowing the true characters, you may get different characters.  Pinyin is imprecise because it does not include the TONE that goes with the syllables.  

OK, since Chinese always have last name first I am just going to do this:

李敏杰 (Li, Minjie)

Canadian Address to follow

That sound good to you???

Timeline

OK, since Chinese always have last name first I am just going to do this:

李敏杰 (Li, Minjie)

Canadian Address to follow

That sound good to you???

Perfect

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Last question (and thank you very much for your patience and help with this) should I do:

(A) 李敏杰 (Li, Minjie)

OR 

(B) 敏杰李 (Minjie Li)

A, but I already made that clear.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.