Vegamanx7

Co-sponsor questions

15 posts in this topic

So I got an email late last night from NVC saying I had insufficient income even though I provided proof that my annual income is just shy of 40,000 a year. I work for the local county in a government job. With either net or gross I make in excess of the requirements for a household of 2. The only thing I can think of that hurt my affidavit of support was that during part of Covid I was unemployed after undergoing a major surgery and needing recovery time, which also didn’t matter since very few places were hiring during Covid. 
Anyways, I now need a co-sponsor and the only one I can ask is either my mom or dad. I don’t think I can use my mom because she’s medically retired and only received about 29000 on her retirement last year. She does own a house but I don’t know how assets are counted and what is enough to qualify. My dad (they’re divorced btw, sorry I didn’t mention sooner), recently retired so I don’t know what his annual is yet with his social security and pension but while he was working his annual was about 80k a year. 

please , any advice would be helpful or any info about cosponsors and how their income and assets are used. Are they counted along with my own income? Also which parent would be the better choice? Mom is remarried and husband has no income, and dad is single but doesn’t own a house. 

this is the message I received:

“The income reported as stated on form I-864 is insufficient to overcome the public charge grounds of inadmissibility for visa issuance. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos and https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. A consular officer will decide if you meet these requirements at the time of the interview. Note: You, as the sponsor, and any other sponsors household members and joint sponsors, must provide updated or additional evidence for the applicant to present at the time of their interview such as: * Other income * Assets * Proof of current employment Note: You submitted documentation to the National Visa Center through the Consular Electronic Application Center CEAC. You can continue to upload documents to CEAC up until the date of your visa interview.”

also it says documents were accepted, so does that mean they won’t answer my questions now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

This odd. In I-864, for “current income” did you list your expected income for the next 12 months, or something else?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-8-scan-collected-documents/step-9-upload-and-submit-scanned-documents.html

If NVC determines you have paid the necessary fees, submitted the required immigrant visa application, Affidavit of Support, and supporting documents to NVC, you will receive an email that your case is documentarily complete and NVC will work with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate to schedule an appointment for you. NVC cannot predict when your case will be scheduled for an interview.”

So you never got one of those emails?

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Vegamanx7 said:

“The income reported as stated on form I-864 is insufficient to overcome the public charge grounds of inadmissibility for visa issuance. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos and https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. A consular officer will decide if you meet these requirements at the time of the interview. Note: You, as the sponsor, and any other sponsors household members and joint sponsors, must provide updated or additional evidence for the applicant to present at the time of their interview such as: * Other income * Assets * Proof of current employment Note: You submitted documentation to the National Visa Center through the Consular Electronic Application Center CEAC. You can continue to upload documents to CEAC up until the date of your visa interview.”

also it says documents were accepted, so does that mean they won’t answer my questions now?

That income note is a standard FE note NVC is fond of annotating.  Was there anything like "NVC will work with the consulate...."? 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

That income note is a standard FE note NVC is fond of annotating.  Was there anything like "NVC will work with the consulate...."? 

What I pasted was exactly as the message was in my ceac account. I haven’t received any emails at all other than the one telling me I have a message on my case and how to check it. Literally nothing else so far

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

This odd. In I-864, for “current income” did you list your expected income for the next 12 months, or something else?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-8-scan-collected-documents/step-9-upload-and-submit-scanned-documents.html

If NVC determines you have paid the necessary fees, submitted the required immigrant visa application, Affidavit of Support, and supporting documents to NVC, you will receive an email that your case is documentarily complete and NVC will work with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate to schedule an appointment for you. NVC cannot predict when your case will be scheduled for an interview.”

So you never got one of those emails?

No I haven’t received any email except the one last night telling me I have a message on my account and how to check it. Nothing since. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, Vegamanx7 said:

Key words in the message are "may" and "Consular officer will decide".  This is a stock message anybody gets if the last tax return didn't show enough income.  Millionaires get it, as do people like you who now have a good job but had lower income last year.  If you have a good job with enough income now, just ignore the message.  Yes really.  Yes, I'm sure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Key words in the message are "may" and "Consular officer will decide".  This is a stock message anybody gets if the last tax return didn't show enough income.  Millionaires get it, as do people like you who now have a good job but had lower income last year.  If you have a good job with enough income now, just ignore the message.  Yes really.  Yes, I'm sure.

I ended up requesting more documentation from Human Resources in order to show even more evidence of income and job status. I hope you’re right and it will be enough. These “stock messages” really get people worked up with how vague they sound

17 hours ago, Vegamanx7 said:

I ended up requesting more documentation from Human Resources in order to show even more evidence of income and job status. I hope you’re right and it will be enough. These “stock messages” really get people worked up with how vague they sound

Trust the pushbrk, he knows his stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 2:44 PM, pushbrk said:

So I just got the DQ email. I’m super excited, but they did also send me the same message again that I posted above. I don’t think I should worry because I also got a 7% raise that goes into effect on my next paycheck, which will bring my gross annual salary to around 41,000. Do you still think I will be okay and to not worry about a co sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, Vegamanx7 said:

So I just got the DQ email. I’m super excited, but they did also send me the same message again that I posted above. I don’t think I should worry because I also got a 7% raise that goes into effect on my next paycheck, which will bring my gross annual salary to around 41,000. Do you still think I will be okay and to not worry about a co sponsor?

Congrats on DQ and the raise.

The beneficiary should bring a new I-864 from you and new pay stubs showing the new rate of pay. The new I-864 should list current income as the what you expect to earn in the next 12 months.

The beneficiary should have an I-864 from  a joint sponsor ready to show if your old and new I-864 is rejected.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Mike E said:

Congrats on DQ and the raise.

The beneficiary should bring a new I-864 from you and new pay stubs showing the new rate of pay. The new I-864 should list current income as the what you expect to earn in the next 12 months.

The beneficiary should have an I-864 from  a joint sponsor ready to show if your old and new I-864 is rejected.

I would not bother a joint sponsor, or have them sign such a contract. The OP has a secure government job with plenty of current income.  It's Manila.  Not a problem.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

39 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I would not bother a joint sponsor, or have them sign such a contract. The OP has a secure government job with plenty of current income.  It's Manila.  Not a problem.

Should I err on the side of caution and at least send my wife with more current paystubs to her interview?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Vegamanx7 said:

Should I err on the side of caution and at least send my wife with more current paystubs to her interview?

On most current pay stubs.  More is silly.  Your pay stub shows Year to Date income anyway.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.