Salma20

CR1 OR IR1? When does the counting start?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello members!

My question is simple,  say you get your visa sorted out and in hand before the 2-year wedding anniversary mark and you decide to wait until after the anniversary to enter the US. Does that make you illegible for the 10-year green card? Or will you still be given the 2-year conditional green card? Meaning, does the counting start when you get your visa in hand or when you enter American soil?

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to check this post. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Salma20 said:

and you decide to wait until after the anniversary to enter the US. Does that make you illegible for the 10-year green card?

Yes.  If the visa holder enters the US (becomes a legal resident)  after being married for 2 years, he/she should receive a 10 year Green Card.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Yes.  If the visa holder enters the US after being married for 2 years, he/she should receive a 10 year Green Card.

Regardless of when the visa was issued?

Meaning, say I get my visa stamped 4 months in advance, would waiting until the 2-year anniversary be worth it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Salma20 said:

Meaning, say I get my visa stamped 4 months in advance, would waiting until the 2-year anniversary be worth it?

Yes. 

Yes.  You will avoid Removal of Conditions.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yes. 

Yes.  You will avoid Removal of Conditions.  

@Salma20 

I dare say @Crazy Cat is understating things, perhaps because of the trauma his wife went through. So take a look at Crazy Cat’s timeline:

Marriage (if applicable): 2015-07-30

6/22/17- POE Dallas- Very smooth entry.....

Mrs Cat entered just 5 weeks shy of her 2 year marriage anniversary.

Lifting Conditions
Date Filed : 2019-03-28

Approval / Denial Date : 2022-12-14
Approved : Yes

That took over 3 years and 9 months.

Waiting 5 weeks to POE would have avoided it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Salma20 said:

Yes, even if the visa is issued before the 2nd wedding anniversary, and the visa IV Category shows CR1, if the immigrant enters the US after the two year wedding anniversary, they are entitled to a 10 yr GC as an IR1.

To echo @Crazy Cat, if you can avoid Removal of Conditions, it is a huge benefit.  No need to travel with an expired GC and piece of paper (I797 extension letter), no need to get ADIT stamps after the piece of paper expires, no need to wonder for 2-4 years what is happening with your I751 application that is most likely just collecting dust in a USCIS service center.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Salma20 said:

When I entered the US last year... there was another person activating their spousal visa, too. 

They had waited an extra few weeks/months to enter after 2 year anniversary and I overheard officers talking about changing CR1 to IR1. 

One officer was encountering it for the first time, while the other was explaining the rule to him. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Even if the officer writes CR1,   the US office doing  the green card should note the 2 year anniversary date and process a 10 year green card

just make sure u enter within the 6 month window of the medical exam so the visa is still valid 

timeline says case left NVC 6///2023 

when is the interview?

22 hours ago, Salma20 said:

Hello members!

My question is simple,  say you get your visa sorted out and in hand before the 2-year wedding anniversary mark and you decide to wait until after the anniversary to enter the US. Does that make you illegible for the 10-year green card? Or will you still be given the 2-year conditional green card? Meaning, does the counting start when you get your visa in hand or when you enter American soil?

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to check this post. 

Y0u get 10 yr 

Timeline
12 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Even if the officer writes CR1,   the US office doing  the green card should note the 2 year anniversary date and process a 10 year green card

just make sure u enter within the 6 month window of the medical exam so the visa is still valid 

timeline says case left NVC 6///2023 

when is the interview?

Next week June 20th but our anniversary is on October 25th!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, Salma20 said:

Next week June 20th but our anniversary is on October 25th!

the visa expires 6 months from day of medical exam 

October is only 4 months away

so,  wait , if u can

its worth it to get the 10 card and not have to deal with removal of conditions (ROC)  in 2 years

After waiting all this time make sure u arrive in  Hawaii a day after the 25th 

Moroc is 11 hours ahead of Hawaii in time / u don't want to  get there too early because of time difference

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A hijack post and reply to it were split into a new thread in this subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

What about if someone is married online, say in December 2021, consummates marriage in March 2022, gets gets approved Visa, then enters the US in say, January 2024. Would this be considered a 10-year GC or a 2-year?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.