devusr

IR-1 Entry: Visitors' or U.S. Line? [split & merged topic]

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A noncontributory post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Administrative action has been applied against a poster's account for spamming and other Terms of Service violations.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 6/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, Crazy Cat said:

What happened regarding the jewelry?  Did she have to pay a tax?  I know she entered the US yesterday....

She didn't get any customs form, they didn't check anything, immigration just took a photo and verified some details and let her go. She went through 2 checkpoints, 1 immigration and then through customs.

My wife came to US on Friday on IR1 visa but they did not stamp her passport. She came through IAD airport.

We went to the deferred inspection site at a different airport (BWI) and the CPB officer there said they do not stamp IR1. He said that the I-94 is for non immigrants and not IR1. He also said they cannot stamp as the stamp is from BWI and I would have to goto the IAD deferred site.

I told him there is no deferred inspection site at IAD and he was very rude. I told him I cannnot get insurance for my wife without the I-94 and he got very very angry and was very rude.

how do I fix this????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Apparently, there is a deferred inspection site at IAD:  I would call them.... or just hope her GC arrives soon.

Port of Washington-Dulles, Virginia - 5401 | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

image.png.01d07f776a67612ce967e1c7ede2784b.png

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 minutes ago, devusr said:

He said that the I-94 is for non immigrants and not IR1. He also said they cannot stamp as the stamp is from BWI and I would have to goto the IAD deferred site.

I told him there is no deferred inspection site at IAD and he was very rude. I told him I cannnot get insurance for my wife without the I-94

You asked for an I-94, and that got you on the wrong foot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You asked for an I-94, and that got you on the wrong foot.

Yep.  We had already explained that LPRs do not get I-94s. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program/requirements-immigrant-and-nonimmigrant-visas

An intending immigrant becomes a lawful permanent resident once the immigrant visa and accompanying paperwork is reviewed and endorsed by a CBP Officer.”

So, try again and request that “my immigration visa be endorsed as per CBP’s posted policy”

Edited by Mike E

I am confused.  I went to the CBP website, and there is deferred inspection at IAD.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/deferred-inspection-sites

Deferred Inspection Unit
Washington Dulles International Airport
1 Saarinen Circle, Main Terminal Lower Level, West End
Sterling, VA 20166

Phone: (703) 661-2800, ext. 7116
Fax: (703) 661-8394

This is what I would do:

1) fax a letter to the fax # - hopefully, you get someone who is going to read it and understand.

2) next, call them as well!

3) visit them

Forget BWI.  IAD.

Dear Sir/Mdm:

My wife entered the US on an IR1 visa XXX at IAD.

Her IMMIGRANT visa was not endorsed.  Please refer to attached copy of the visa.

I also refer you to instructions on the USCIS website:

"When a new immigrant first enters the U.S., U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will stamp the passport with an admission stamp that indicates the immigrant has permanent resident status and has the date the new immigrant entered the U.S. The employee’s foreign passport with the MRIV is evidence the employee has permanent residence status for 1 year from the date of admission."

We need her passport endorsed so that she can get her SSN, driver's license and be added to my health insurance.

Please call or email me (insert contact info) as to she can come to get her passport endorsed.

In addition, we will be stopping by at X date.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Edited by manyfudge

• TBoneTX changed the title to IR-1 Entry: Visitors' or U.S. Line? [split & merged topic]
Timeline

Multiple related threads have been merged.

devusr, please avoid starting any more threads regarding your wife's entry.  Post only in THIS thread, which is in the "Moving to the U.S." forum for good reason.  Thanks.

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

Timeline
On 6/10/2023 at 12:54 PM, Loren Y said:

Her passport should have been stamped. I just called my CBP friend in Calgary, she was working right now actually, and said as of today they are still stamping Immigrant visas. Ir-1/ CR1, etc. She was actually kinda shocked when I told her someone arrived and didn't get a stamp. It's really not optional. she said looks like some retraining is in order.

1 hour ago, devusr said:

My wife came to US on Friday on IR1 visa but they did not stamp her passport. She came through IAD airport.

We went to the deferred inspection site at a different airport (BWI) and the CPB officer there said they do not stamp IR1. He said that the I-94 is for non immigrants and not IR1. He also said they cannot stamp as the stamp is from BWI and I would have to goto the IAD deferred site.

I told him there is no deferred inspection site at IAD and he was very rude. I told him I cannnot get insurance for my wife without the I-94 and he got very very angry and was very rude.

how do I fix this????

@Loren Y it does indeed seem like retraining is needed amongst a wide swath of CBP. Looks like YYC is the only known safe port of entry until CBP gets its stuff together.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
4 minutes ago, devusr said:

Will this affect her green card or SSN?? Will those be automatically processed normally even without the cpb stamp?

There is no evidence the CBP officer processed her IR-1 properly. That is other reason why you need to get this taken care of.

You might end up doing a writ of mandamus to force CBP to stamp her. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.