Mdvivori

Visa denial due to New Minimum Income Requirements [merged threads]

166 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Mdvivori said:

Thank you Dashinka.

Well folks, today was a very good day.  My Wife received an Email from the Immigrant Visa Unit at the US Embassy in Manila saying she was APPROVED and then a few minutes later LBC delivered her Passport with her Visa.  My mother always said “Worrying Works” because everything she worried about didn’t happen.  Lol.  Well I worried plenty that my SS Benefit which is only slightly OVER the required minimum threshold by just under $500 wouldn’t be enough, but in the end it was.  No Joint Sponsor required!  

Now we have to rebook our flights.  I was certain we would make a departure on June 15th but I was off by a few days.  Now Summer fares are in force and trying to leave before September 12th would cost us an additional $4k so we will be here for the next 88 days.  

Thanks to everyone who along the way has reached out with great advice and encouragement.  A special thank you to Crazy Cat who has been there with his seemingly endless knowledge an sage advice as have so many others who took the time to help guide me along the way.  Thanks to all.

Great news! 

Are your stepchildren approved also?

Just make sure to leave a little bit of room to immigrate before their visas expire, but really happy for your family!

The children have their rescheduled interviews on Tuesday.  I’m not concerned at all about them now.  The CO knew they were included.

I do have one concern though.  My Wife’s Visa says it was issued June 14th which was the day after they received my new Income verification but it Expires on August 26th.  I thought we had 6 months to enter the USA.  We have inexpensive tickets that we can’t use until September 12, when Summer airfares drop.  If we must rebook now it will cost us another $4k.  Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Mdvivori said:

The children have their rescheduled interviews on Tuesday.  I’m not concerned at all about them now.  The CO knew they were included.

I do have one concern though.  My Wife’s Visa says it was issued June 14th which was the day after they received my new Income verification but it Expires on August 26th.  I thought we had 6 months to enter the USA.  We have inexpensive tickets that we can’t use until September 12, when Summer airfares drop.  If we must rebook now it will cost us another $4k.  Thoughts?

It's at most six months from the medical.

The US citizen (you) also has to enter the US before, or at the same time, as they do.

I know the extra expense is no fun, but the increase in income during that period might make up for it.  Accountant wife might enjoy doing comparing different options.

Her initial Medical was 03/29 but she had to have a Sputum Test which was negative and she didn’t complete her medical including Immunizations until 05/31.  Maybe they counted from day 1 of her medical but that would be the end of September.  Regardless we’ll have to do what they ask.

As to Lemonslice’s point, yes we will make up the additional ticket cost very quickly but it’s a cash flow or timing issue.  We have significant day 1 costs.  Apartment Deposit and 1st month, down payment on car, etc, etc.  We will manage if we need to.  Thanks.

Actually my wife just told me that it’s on her Medical that she must leave by August 26th.  They tested her for TB because she had it over 6 years ago.  She was hospitalized and underwent a 6 month drug protocol and was “Cured” but they tested her anyway.  That was a 2 month delay.  So we will plan to leave after the kids are interviewed next week.  We should have their Visas by Friday the 23rd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mdvivori said:

Thank you Dashinka.

Well folks, today was a very good day.  My Wife received an Email from the Immigrant Visa Unit at the US Embassy in Manila saying she was APPROVED and then a few minutes later LBC delivered her Passport with her Visa.  My mother always said “Worrying Works” because everything she worried about didn’t happen.  Lol.  Well I worried plenty that my SS Benefit which is only slightly OVER the required minimum threshold by just under $500 wouldn’t be enough, but in the end it was.  No Joint Sponsor required!  

Now we have to rebook our flights.  I was certain we would make a departure on June 15th but I was off by a few days.  Now Summer fares are in force and trying to leave before September 12th would cost us an additional $4k so we will be here for the next 88 days.  

Thanks to everyone who along the way has reached out with great advice and encouragement.  A special thank you to Crazy Cat who has been there with his seemingly endless knowledge an sage advice as have so many others who took the time to help guide me along the way.  Thanks to all.

Congratulations!!!!!  Thanks for the kind words.  I hope the rest of the journey is smooth. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mdvivori said:

Thank you Dashinka.

Congratulations!  It is good to hear the visa hurdle was overcome, now it is off to the next stage of the journey.  Good luck with the flights, and setting up shop back in the US, hopefully the adjustment for your family will go well!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

More00, I just went online to MySSA and printed my 2023 Benefits Letter.  I hadn’t realized that the Minimum Income increased on March 1, 2023 so they had my 2022 Letter which was no longer adequate.  There was an 8.7% increase starting with the January check.  I was fortunate to be able to just barely meet the requirement after they told my wife last week I needed a Joint Sponsor.  The Embassy received my new SS Letter on the 13th, approved the Visa on the 14th and notified us this morning and we received the Passport with the Visa shortly thereafter.  That’s the quickest anything has happened in 716 days.

Anyway, on my latest I-864 I remitted on the 13th it showed 2020, 21 and 22 SSA 1099’s, my 2021, 1040 and my 2022 Tax extension along with my 2023 SS Benefits Letter.

My SS Income is $37,848, just slightly more than the $37,500 minimum required for a family of 4.  My experience tells me if you’re short you will need a Joint Sponsor.

Good luck.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, Mdvivori said:

I don’t have a Joint Sponsor.  My wife said the CO just looked at the income on the I-864 and said I needed a Joint Sponsor.  She believes that if she had presented my Current Benefit Letter he would have accepted it.  

My only choices are to return and get a job or leave one child behind with the family for a month or two.  Shoot she could make $40 or $50k a year as a temp Accountant on day one.  I can make more.  One child’s SS Benefit would be $15k beginning in 6 weeks after arrival.

She is praying the Benefit letter is enough, I’m looking at all options. 

Why would the children get $1250 each per month benefits? What is that for?

Minor children and stepchildren of SS Recipients are eligible for Children’s Benefits of 80% of the FRA Benefits.  In my case that’s $2,500 total or $1,250 each until they graduate from HS in 9 and 11 years respectively.  Google SS Children’s Benefits and look up SS Form SSA-4-BK.  It’s a great benefit for families with an older father or mother.  The Benefit is calculated on the FRA Benefit even if the recipient filed at 62.  It’s huge.  30k a year goes a long way to support kids.

Greetings to all who have followed this Journey.

My Wife received her IR1, 1 yr temporary Permanent Visa on June 14th.  This was a week after being told I needed a Joint Sponsor.  She took the Children for their Embassy Interview today and was yet again told I needed a Joint Sponsor.  She was also told that on June 7th at her interview but they accepted my 2023 SS Benefits Letter which we sent to the Embassy via LBC Courier which shows a few hundred more than the minimum requirement of $37,500 for a family of 4.  We don’t know, but don’t believe that the CO today was aware of the new I-864 and SS Benefits Letter we submitted for my wife which she uploaded to hers and the children’s Immigration file.  The CEAC Site shows “Submitted” but not yet “Accepted” for the new I-864 and the new Benefits Letter.  Is it possible the Embassy would approve my wife but not the children?  My wife said the CO was polite but not interested in any feedback.  We’re still a family of 4 so it makes no sense to approve my wife but not the kids.  This doesn’t make sense.

I just wrote another cover letter explaining how I didn’t realize that my income dipped below the current Minimum Requirement that increased on March 1, 2023, but my current income exceeded the Immigration Guideline.  Just for fun I added that they would also have SS Children’s Benefits of $1,250 each for the next 9 and 11 year’s respectively.  I realize it’s not my income but if their concern is the Children not becoming dependent on the Government this should logically alleviate any concern.   Most people can take care of their children for $1,250 each tax free.

1 hour ago, Mdvivori said:

Minor children and stepchildren of SS Recipients are eligible for Children’s Benefits of 80% of the FRA Benefits.  In my case that’s $2,500 total or $1,250 each until they graduate from HS in 9 and 11 years respectively.  Google SS Children’s Benefits and look up SS Form SSA-4-BK.  It’s a great benefit for families with an older father or mother.  The Benefit is calculated on the FRA Benefit even if the recipient filed at 62.  It’s huge.  30k a year goes a long way to support kids.

Wow, I guess so.

1 hour ago, Mdvivori said:

Greetings to all who have followed this Journey.

My Wife received her IR1, 1 yr temporary Permanent Visa on June 14th.  This was a week after being told I needed a Joint Sponsor.  She took the Children for their Embassy Interview today and was yet again told I needed a Joint Sponsor.  She was also told that on June 7th at her interview but they accepted my 2023 SS Benefits Letter which we sent to the Embassy via LBC Courier which shows a few hundred more than the minimum requirement of $37,500 for a family of 4.  We don’t know, but don’t believe that the CO today was aware of the new I-864 and SS Benefits Letter we submitted for my wife which she uploaded to hers and the children’s Immigration file.  The CEAC Site shows “Submitted” but not yet “Accepted” for the new I-864 and the new Benefits Letter.  Is it possible the Embassy would approve my wife but not the children?  My wife said the CO was polite but not interested in any feedback.  We’re still a family of 4 so it makes no sense to approve my wife but not the kids.  This doesn’t make sense.

I just wrote another cover letter explaining how I didn’t realize that my income dipped below the current Minimum Requirement that increased on March 1, 2023, but my current income exceeded the Immigration Guideline.  Just for fun I added that they would also have SS Children’s Benefits of $1,250 each for the next 9 and 11 year’s respectively.  I realize it’s not my income but if their concern is the Children not becoming dependent on the Government this should logically alleviate any concern.   Most people can take care of their children for $1,250 each tax free.

Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm still at the NVC stage waiting now and will be going a similar situation using my SSDI, luckily I have extra income and everything will be accepted.

I'm just curious, If you've been going to the embassy interview's with your wife? 

Edited by Jimmyzr1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.