anxious

MENA BABIES

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I really like Riyadh, as someone stated above if it would bug you to have your kids name constantly mispronounced keep that in mind. My sons name is Elisha...like in the bible...didnt stop to think this being the good old USA not many people have read that lol..the worst was last year we signed up for football as usual and they called him for cheerleading based on the name....his coach got a kick out of it and bought him a pink helmet to tease him lol!!!

capture1-1.jpg

Picture114-1.jpg

Our Timeline

Sent I-129 f to csc on Dec 23,2006

Received Dec 26th

NOA1 Jan 3,2007

Check cashed Jan 5,2007

Touched Jan 13,2007

Touched May 15,2007

Touched July 17,2007

Touched July 18,2007

Touched July 20,2007

Touched July 22,2007

Touched Aug 12,2007

Touched Aug 13,2007

Touched Aug 14,2007

Touched Aug 15,2007

Touched Aug 22,2007

NOA2!!! Oct 31,2007

Case forwarded to Casa Nov 19, 2007

Interview Feb 6.2008

APPROVAL!!!

AP......now we wait

11-08-08 arrived in Atlanta

11-20-08 MARRIED!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The kid's going to grow up in the U.S., so it's not bad to pick something sort of pronounceable for all the boring Anglos, if having people mispronounce your kid's name would drive you crazy. (if it won't drive you nuts, go for whatever you like.) I like Zachariyah (or Zachariah) off of your list. It can nickname to 'Zach', useful when the boy is a moody American pre-teen.

Oh, and little 'Anas' will be '#######' on the playground very quickly.

:blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The only advice I can give you is to think of all of the names you like. Write them down, and then write beside them all of the possible "bad" names school kids could make out of them. The one with the least "bads" is the one you should choose. I was tormented by my name all through my school years and it really hurt me. I made sure my sons name couldn't be turned into something to make fun of (or at least i tried my best) Good luck on the name choosing!!

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The kid's going to grow up in the U.S., so it's not bad to pick something sort of pronounceable for all the boring Anglos, if having people mispronounce your kid's name would drive you crazy. (if it won't drive you nuts, go for whatever you like.) I like Zachariyah (or Zachariah) off of your list. It can nickname to 'Zach', useful when the boy is a moody American pre-teen.

My own name isn't that odd (it's Welsh) but due to the American accent in general people aren't able to pronounce it. I get called Sean most of the time. I love my name but I find having people unable to pronounce it properly very wearing.

I'm all for having a name that is easier to pronounce. It doesn't have to be a common name, it can be different, but if it is one that means your child doesn't have to say his/her name out loud five times every time someone asks about it, then I think that is a good idea.

I find it a pain and I'm 34! :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I like the names Hassan and Jibreel.......The reason why I like those names so much is because that is my husband's name Hassan Jibreel!! :lol:

We definitely have enough expectant and new moms to have it's own thread.

So here's my dilemna.

This baby is coming in 6 weeks or so and we don't have a name for him yet.

Hubby only likes Jamal and Noor, which don't strike me as keepers.

He also tries to convince me that the man mostly picks the names.....haven't heard that one yet.

Here's my list: Riyadh, Yasin, Hasan, Nasir, Sufiyan, Hafid, Hasan, Anas, Zachariyah....he says it's too long, Jibreel,

and Nasim. Aren't they great names? :thumbs:

We are on the verge of flipping a coin to choose the name. He may come home un named. I just dont

feel like he's a Jamal or a Noor...just doesn't feel..right.

Any suggestions?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My name gets mispronounced here lots of times... but it's pretty simple.

My favorite name is Malik/Malika (King/Queen) which is not bad and most of people can pronounce it. After that goes Hamid (short for Mohamed) but nobody has to know that...

I also like Samir/Samira, sounds nice

And all of these names are pretty easy to say

BTW, my son was nameless for 3 WEEKS since I got to pick his name but I love his name, it worked from where I'm from and it's popular here. I'm glad I took my time and nobody can tease him!

I heard about a neighbor picking a very unpopular name for an unborn yet boy... I hope they'd reconsider - too macho and there's no nickname for it.

That's my 2 cents

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

His first comment on naming was that the grandparents got to choose and then he recanted. Hmph. I understand

it's his first born but i dunno.

Ok here goes....NOOOOOOR, JAMAAAAAAALLLL, NOOOOOORRR, time to eat :P

Leila was almost my daughters name. I like the male version of Amira: Amir but my sister

has threatened a lost limb if I steal her FUTURE sons name.

Another question... what is the expectations of caring for the newborn are present?

He gave me the ole macho.."I'll change diapers only when necessary"....

and also he wants to wait to have him circumsized...apparently Moroccans do a huge party for the newly cut boy and

I guess it can't really happen with a 2 day old, but if we wait I think it will hurt him more...

Again, I know it's his first so I am trying to go with the flow...

Sounds like a good question to ask your husband. You know, the actual father of the baby. Fathers being individuals and all that.

My name gets mispronounced here lots of times... but it's pretty simple.

My favorite name is Malik/Malika (King/Queen) which is not bad and most of people can pronounce it. After that goes Hamid (short for Mohamed) but nobody has to know that...

I also like Samir/Samira, sounds nice

And all of these names are pretty easy to say

BTW, my son was nameless for 3 WEEKS since I got to pick his name but I love his name, it worked from where I'm from and it's popular here. I'm glad I took my time and nobody can tease him!

I heard about a neighbor picking a very unpopular name for an unborn yet boy... I hope they'd reconsider - too macho and there's no nickname for it.

That's my 2 cents

It's something to be hidden? Why exactly?

I like the name Jacob.

I also like the name Cameron.

Stop having your own opinion, your own mind. It doesn't mesh well here.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

:blink:

/

Didn't mean anything more than 'English-speaking', charles. (Hence, Anglo. Like Hispanic, but for English.) Or solely English-speaking and likely to say, 'I'm sorry, what was your name? What is that, ethnic? You're not from around here. How do you spell that? That's different!' over and over. Like Samir in Office Space. It doesn't have to be an English name, just easily pronounceable.

Isn't 'Riyadh' just a city name? Even if it isn't, I think the associations with the city would provoke a lot of 'so why did you name your baby after the Saudi capital' discussions.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

My husband and I had a tough time naming our son. His family wanted an arabic name, my family wanted a latin name, and I wanted a name you can easily pronounce in english :wacko: So after a couple of fights and 3 months later, we picked the name Adam and everyone was happy.... :dance:

adamnb3.jpgadamemx5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I didn't take into consideration the mean kids that could his name and turn it ugly LOL.

I definitely want to keep a muslim name. I know alot of baby Adam's so that's the only reason that

name was off the list. Riyadh means "garden" and I forgot its a city name too but I stilll like it!

I find it's hard to concentrate lately too.

I have so much to do....finishing up ultrasound school, my kids start school soon...give birth (sigh) :hehe:

I'll let everyone know what the final verdict is, thanx all for the suggestions.

On another note: I did make the decision to try a waterbirth, which is offered at the hospital I chose. They say it takes the edge

off. Has anyone tried waterbirths here?

1/10/05 Filed I-129f

1/12/05 NOA1

2/9/05 NOA2

2/25/05 Case forwarded to Casablanca

(Marrakech postal issues)

5/2/05 Fiance picks up Packet 3/4

5/6/05 Medical

5/23/05 Interview (recieved 221g)

5/31/05 VISA IN HAND! ALHAMDULLILAH!!

Truly I am blessed

7/6/05 Rachid arrives in USA (POE Philly) with my family

7/8/05 Rachid arrives to Atlanta (home to me)

7/8/05 Wedding!!! (ceremonial)

7/22/05 Recieve SSN Card

9/26/05 Married

12/31/05 AOS/EAD/AP sent off

1/4/06 Package arrives at Chicago Lockbox

1/18/06 Checks cashed all NOA's recvd :)

3/31/06 Recv'd AOS appointment letter for May 23rd

MAY 23RD AOS APPROVED (now waiting for prints to clear)

6/7/06 RECEIVED WELCOME LETTER :)

6/14/06 GREENCARD HATH ARRIVED!!! :))))

05/31/08 Filed Removal of Conditions

06/22/08 Biometrics done

APRROVVED JUNE 1ST 2009

Greencard Recieved 6/7/09 :D

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i like yasin (or yassine) and zachariyah out of the ones you mentioned. zach is easiest to mix into the american culture. zach for short! my nephew is named zachary and we love to call him zachy (he's a baby. lol)

:thumbs:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I like Zane. It's not difficult to pronounce and it sounds cool. Zayd (pronounced Zade not Zayed, most ppl want to pronounce it Zayed) is a cute one, too. My oldest son is a Zayd.

I love this name for a boy. Never heard it before but it is kind of sticking with me. We are expecting in early March and have Olivia and Rana picked out for a girl but couldn't come up with a boy name. I am liking Zayd!!!!! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.