24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Another duplicate thread has been merged. Let me be crystal clear. You are not to make, start or post this or any other related questions about this topic in a new thread or in other member's threads. Any further threads or post will result in suspension.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My spouse has NO LAST NAME, NO SURNAME, NO NO MIDLE NAME since her birth, she has just her first name in all her documents like Passport, Educational Certificate, birth certificate, Marriage Certificate etc....
when I fill her i130 form online what do I need to write in the box of "Last Name"?
if I write "No LAST NAME" in the Last Name box will USCIS reject the petition?
please advise, how should I proceed with this?
Thank a lot in advance.

example.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Herndon said:

My spouse has NO LAST NAME, NO SURNAME, NO NO MIDLE NAME since her birth, she has just her first name in all her documents like Passport, Educational Certificate, birth certificate, Marriage Certificate etc....
when I fill her i130 form online what do I need to write in the box of "Last Name"?
if I write "No LAST NAME" in the Last Name box will USCIS reject the petition?
please advise, how should I proceed with this?
Thank a lot in advance.

example.jpeg

Does her family have a name? In some countries, a person's first name is tagged along with their entire father's name. I just noticed your country is Pakistan. My family is from there as well, and typically their NICOP ids, etc, all have father's name on the ID. From memory, I believe that translates into being a person's last name there.

Edited by AJ2019

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

her family have last name. but she has only 1st name name in each and every documents even in passport too. if we go into the name change process, it will be a mess. if i put her last name as "last name unknown" or "FNU" does it going to work? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 6/6/2023 at 10:44 AM, Herndon said:

you saying i shuld keep the first and middle name boxes blank . just put her first name in Last name Box?

Sorry after the thread was merged, it seems my Follow was cleared, so I did not see your comment.

Yes that is what you should do. 

if i do so, system will indicate the error for the "first name"  Box"

If so, enter FNU for the first name. But hopefully not.

Try.

Edited by Mike E

Common in my country. I will leave it blank to avoid any issue following the birth certificate / passport. So many variation “no name given” “FNU” etc. for example : friend did consular processing, her name in passport just 1 name. But on the immigrant visa it stated “BLABLA FNU”, US visa can’t have single name. So it’s automatic added that FNU. already there’s discrepancy. And when she made state ID, it become “BLABLA No name given” literally that’s on her state ID

are u guys doing AOS or Consular processing ? If AOS and u already got married, my suggestion add ur last name on her AOS application. The marriage certificate will be the legal document for that. I helped couple of people with same issue during AOS, easier in the future for them to do anything in the US with last name. So now at least 3 friends without last name now all their documentation in the US had last name on it and only their home country passport is different “ one name “  and file I-130 paper instead so u can leave the surname blank if it’s consular processing 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Remember the Consulate will be very familiar with local naming practices

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 6/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, Herndon said:

Thank you for your valuable reply.
 the system is not accepting blank in the last name box. at the end of application it says you have an error to fix. and the error it shows for thelast name.

Edited by ZAMA

On 6/8/2023 at 7:12 PM, Herndon said:

her family have last name. but she has only 1st name name in each and every documents even in passport too. if we go into the name change process, it will be a mess. if i put her last name as "last name unknown" or "FNU" does it going to work? 

@HerndonI'm in same situation, my spouse has only one name, what end up doing with first name  and last name? Thanks in advance for help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.