Sha-Lee88

Bringing Prescription Medicine into the US

54 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Medications should always be in your carry on, you don't want the airline to lose them.  Unless she's taking a second flight, TSA won't see a thing.  I travel with medications+ice packs, TSA sometimes ask to check, it takes 30 seconds. 

I think she’ll have a hard time finding a doc in the US willing to prescribe like that for fibromyalgia.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Sha-Lee88 said:

I actually saw that same article and called the number earlier today.  I got a lady who said 90 days, bring a doctor's letter with letterhead explaining the prescription amounts and what they are for.  Then, bring a copy of the prescription and copies of the visa and bio page from the passport.  Put the meds on the declaration, put them in the carry-on (which I thought was surprising because now TSA has to check them), and present it all to the CBP officer at customs.

That seems really extreme.   I don't see anything on the CBP about needing to declare  a personal supply prescription medications. I wouldn't do it unless the CBP declaration form asks you to declare it. 

This is all I found.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1160?language=en_US

In my experience, they really don't look or care at your personal meds, They are not doctors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sha-Lee88 said:

One of the meds she has is a Schedule IV opioid, Tramadol. Her prescription for a 90 day supply would entail over 300 of these pills. As you can imagine, I am deeply concerned that showing up with that many Schedule IV pills may lead Customs to not allow her into the country

She needs to tell CBP she is bringing narcotics, as per https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items . And as per that link, CBP might confiscate all but 50 pills.

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I think she’ll have a hard time finding a doc in the US willing to prescribe like that for fibromyalgia.

I don't want to say it will be impossible, but they might refer her to a pain management clinic to transition to other meds/options. 

At least, she'll have a couple of months to figure it out before she's out of meds.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

At least, she'll have a couple of months to figure it out before she's out of meds

Think in terms of a couple of weeks so that proper expectations are set. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sha-Lee88 said:

Greetings,

My fiancée will be arriving in the states under our K-1, hopefully this summer. When she arrives, she will need to take medications with her. Some of them are prescribed, others are over the counter, sans a prescription.

One of the meds she has is a Schedule IV opioid, Tramadol. Her prescription for a 90 day supply would entail over 300 of these pills. As you can imagine, I am deeply concerned that showing up with that many Schedule IV pills may lead Customs to not allow her into the country.

My initial thought is to tell her to not bring any, despite how she needs them for pain. She can get letters from her doctors and the prescriptions, but I'm still worried that she would be denied entry.

Has anyone else ever dealt with a similar situation? How was it handled? What amount is reasonable?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I have lupus and I take 2 different types of schedule II opioids and I wear a pain patch that is also schedule II (all to control severe, debilitating, chronic pain) and I travel domestically and internationally with my meds several times a year, in fact I am flying domestically tomorrow, and I have never once had any problems whatsoever. As long as the scripts are in their original bottles and the number of pills match the number on the bottle, I can't see her having a problem. I have traveled back and forth internationally with more than that number of pills. In fact, now that I think of it, I have never even been questioned about them. I go to Jordan for at least 2 months every year and , have layovers and travel to different countries often, London, Paris, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona, Dubai, Chile, Italy, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Aruba and on and on and on. Never any questions. The only time I have ever pulled aside going through security was in Vienna, I had a broken leg with a cast and they checked my cast with a chemical that detects residue for explosives. If you are truly that concerned, have her get a note from her doctor. I have never notified anyone I was traveling with meds, I didn't even know that was a thing. 

Edited by Cathi

Timeline
1 hour ago, SalishSea said:

No doctor in the US would ever prescribe that many Tramadol.

The only patients who can get long-term PO narcotics are cancer patients, and even then it would likely not be Tramadol, which is general used in the short-term for surgical pain.

Not true, there are many different diseases that people take long term pain meds for, I am one of those people. I have lupus(SLE) and I have been on schedule II opioids for 2 decades and my pain management doctor has prescribed more than that to me when I travel to Jordan, sometimes I go for 2, 3 or even 4 months at a time. I take schedule II meds, 3 different types, a patch and 2 different prescriptions. As pain meds go, Tramadol is not very strong at all, it's only a schedule IV. I inform my pharmacist in advance that I will be filling more than the normal amount when I travel for more than a month, that's just because I've been using the same pharmacy and pharmacist for 30 years and I do it to make sure he has the amount that I need. Pain meds are not easy to get in this country and there are very strict federal guidelines that both doctor and patient have to follow. But for people like me, who suffer from soul crushing, debilitating pain, pain meds are a necessary part of life and I make no apologies for taking them. Without them I would live my entire life in bed.

Timeline
2 hours ago, W199 said:

Yes. Class IV are really mild, and even Valium, one of the most widely prescribed drugs is class 4.

The class 3 narcotics are far more serious, such as Oxycodone, ...

I know you will read everywhere that Tramadol is a narcotic, but I have had extensive experience with is, with the top Harvard medical doctors etc.. and they all say its really not a narcotic or addictive.  As I said I was on it daily for many months. Never got addicted at all.  

Since it is a 90-day supply which is allowed by the FDA, and its not a class 3 drug, it should be fine as long as it has the prescription label and in the prescription bottle.  They are not even going to look at it.

Oxycodone is schedule II

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

She needs to tell CBP she is bringing narcotics, as per https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items . And as per that link, CBP might confiscate all but 50 pills.

I travel with narcotics every time I travel, which is often, and I have never done this, didn't even know it was a thing. I have on many occasions had more then 50 and never once have I been questioned about it, let alone had them taken away. 

6 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Oxycodone is schedule II

Just be careful with some destinations, such as Dubai.  

https://www.aetnainternational.com/en/individuals/destination-guides/expat-guide-to-dubai/medication-dubai.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the "Moving to the US" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Just now, Lemonslice said:

I've been to Dubai 3 times, the last time 2 years ago without any problems. When I go again, I'll definitely take a look at that link, thank you.

16 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Not true, there are many different diseases that people take long term pain meds for, I am one of those people. I have lupus(SLE) and I have been on schedule II opioids for 2 decades and my pain management doctor has prescribed more than that to me when I travel to Jordan, sometimes I go for 2, 3 or even 4 months at a time. I take schedule II meds, 3 different types, a patch and 2 different prescriptions. As pain meds go, Tramadol is not very strong at all, it's only a schedule IV. I inform my pharmacist in advance that I will be filling more than the normal amount when I travel for more than a month, that's just because I've been using the same pharmacy and pharmacist for 30 years and I do it to make sure he has the amount that I need. Pain meds are not easy to get in this country and there are very strict federal guidelines that both doctor and patient have to follow. But for people like me, who suffer from soul crushing, debilitating pain, pain meds are a necessary part of life and I make no apologies for taking them. Without them I would live my entire life in bed.

It is true here in Washington state.  I'm speaking from a position of many years as an RN.

Reputable providers in our state don't practice that way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Cathi said:

I travel with narcotics every time I travel, which is often, and I have never done this, didn't even know it was a thing. I have on many occasions had more then 50 and never once have I been questioned about it, let alone had them taken away. 

Same, I've taken a fair amount of class 2 such as dilaudid  and lots of syringes and stuff with steroids and stuff, all in a big bag  to very strict Asian countries and back to USA ..  they didn't care at all ...  Thats not to say I won't get the death penalty one day, but  in countless trips,  over decade, never had any issue.

Only issue was transferring in Korea, they took away my pen because it was one of those with a hard tip that could be used for self-defense.  In Boston, they just asked me, :"is that sharp, and I said "no""and they were fine.

Edited by W199

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.