Stevephoto

Travelling to the Philippines as a dual citizen

10 posts in this topic

Mabuhay Everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn’t find anything in the archives. Joan and I are going to the Philippines in June. This will be her first time returning as a dual US-Filipino citizen. We booked the flight using her US passport. Are there any special things we need to do? Does she present both passports at each step (TSA, security and the gate in the US, immigration in the Philippines, security and immigration leaving the Philippines and immigration when we return to the US?) I reached out to Philippine Airlines, but they could not answer my question. Salamat!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

If Philippines requires her to enter with their passport then she should simply present it at their immigration checkpoint. It doesn't matter which passport she used to reserve the ticket. Otherwise it's recommended by the Department of State to use the US passport, so that you can receive proper help if need be. 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

1 hour ago, Stevephoto said:

Mabuhay Everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn’t find anything in the archives. Joan and I are going to the Philippines in June. This will be her first time returning as a dual US-Filipino citizen. We booked the flight using her US passport. Are there any special things we need to do? Does she present both passports at each step (TSA, security and the gate in the US, immigration in the Philippines, security and immigration leaving the Philippines and immigration when we return to the US?) I reached out to Philippine Airlines, but they could not answer my question. Salamat!

She will present both upon departure when coming home 

Edited by IWander

31 minutes ago, Stevephoto said:

Mabuhay Everyone!

I've been reading posts about other travelers with dual passports, including US-Philippines.

Oddly enough, it is the airlines that give the most hassles.

I've come to the conclusion that it is best to give the airlines both passports information on booking.

Airlines are financially responsible for any travelers who can not be cleared to travel to the destination, and suck up the cost returning the traveler to the departure country.

US or Philippines don't care if you have passport from the other country as long as you have valid entry.

And it is often the gate agent or the boarding agent who makes the decision to allow a traveler to board or not.

So the more information you provide the airlines before the flight, the more information that the gate agent can pull up to avoid any confusion.

One post that reported a problem was that they booked with a US passport ONLY, but entered the Philippines with the Philippines passport.

So when it was time to depart the Philippines, the airline flagged that the traveler's US passport had an irregularity and would not allow the traveler to board even though the Philippines immigration was cleared.

The airline referred the traveler to contact the US embassy to clear the US passport irregularity, but the US embassy had no record of the US passport entry since the entry was with the Philippines passport.

I think it took a missed flight to clarify everything, but it could be a hassle that could be avoided if you provide the airlines with both passports when getting boarding passes, or if the airline portal allows it to upload all visa or relevant traveling documents information before travel.

2 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

I've been reading posts about other travelers with dual passports, including US-Philippines.

Oddly enough, it is the airlines that give the most hassles.

I've come to the conclusion that it is best to give the airlines both passports information on booking.

Airlines are financially responsible for any travelers who can not be cleared to travel to the destination, and suck up the cost returning the traveler to the departure country.

US or Philippines don't care if you have passport from the other country as long as you have valid entry.

And it is often the gate agent or the boarding agent who makes the decision to allow a traveler to board or not.

So the more information you provide the airlines before the flight, the more information that the gate agent can pull up to avoid any confusion.

One post that reported a problem was that they booked with a US passport ONLY, but entered the Philippines with the Philippines passport.

So when it was time to depart the Philippines, the airline flagged that the traveler's US passport had an irregularity and would not allow the traveler to board even though the Philippines immigration was cleared.

The airline referred the traveler to contact the US embassy to clear the US passport irregularity, but the US embassy had no record of the US passport entry since the entry was with the Philippines passport.

I think it took a missed flight to clarify everything, but it could be a hassle that could be avoided if you provide the airlines with both passports when getting boarding passes, or if the airline portal allows it to upload all visa or relevant traveling documents information before travel.

Why not just use the US passport alone, if Philippines is okay with it? 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

17 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

Why not just use the US passport alone, if Philippines is okay with it? 

Yes. If you travel with US passport only-entry to Philippines and exit Philippines with US passport would have cleared that situation. 

But that eliminates the advantage of the dual passport, which include unlimited stay without visa, etc.

For the problem case, because the airline only had the US passport info since the flight was booked with US passport ONLY, but the entry was with the Philippines passport.

If the US passport did not show Philippines entry and US embassy does not have a record of the US passport entry, the airline assumes a US passport irregularity to maybe even a fake passport which the US may not accept on entry.

And in which case, the airline assumes the cost to fly the traveler back to the departure country.

So to avoid such cases, it is probably best to include both passports to all the connecting airlines for your international travel.

Edited by EatBulaga

1 hour ago, Stevephoto said:

Does she present both passports at each step (TSA, security and the gate in the US, immigration in the Philippines, security and immigration leaving the Philippines and immigration when we return to the US?)

Present both passports to the BI officer at the PH airport.  Just the US passport everywhere else, like for airline check-in and security checks.

Salamat as always everyone! You "Da Bestest!"

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Mary Just went for her birthday trip and entered via Manila.  Booked tickets using her US Passport and flew Philippine Airlines. She has dual passports.   Landed Manila Terminal 1 and was sent to the foreign passport area. Leaving showed both passports.  Entered Honolulu using her US passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

20 hours ago, Chancy said:

Present both passports to the BI officer at the PH airport.  Just the US passport everywhere else, like for airline check-in and security checks.

Just follow this advice.  Keep it simple and no reason to over complicate the process.  There are many dual citizens enter and exiting the Philippines each day.

12 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Mary Just went for her birthday trip and entered via Manila.  Booked tickets using her US Passport and flew Philippine Airlines. She has dual passports.   Landed Manila Terminal 1 and was sent to the foreign passport area. Leaving showed both passports.  Entered Honolulu using her US passport.

I would assume her stay was for 30 days or less?  If it wasnt, if entering on a US passport, then an extension would have had to be done for any days over 30 days and its essentially wasting money and time.  Over the years I have acquired 5 nationalities.  If Im entering a country that I am a citizen of, I always enter with that countries passport........  Chancy put it in the simplest terms on what should be done.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.