Jimmyzr1

I-864 Income tax transcript question?

22 posts in this topic

My current annual income is over $73,000. My income is comprised of VA and social security. VA is not taxable.

On lines 24a, 24b and 24c, I'm having problems figuring out what to use as my income? I've seen others have said to use the Total income on the 2nd page but that make zero sense to me. 

2022 says my social security income is $23,340, but it says total income is only $502.

2021 says my S.S. income is $22,032, but Total income is $10,613.

2020 says my S.S. income is $23,592, but Total Income is $5,222.

The tax transcript makes no sense.

The way this looks, I can show almost no income. I also have no available Co-sponsor.

I would have a question about if they would require using savings as well.

Edited by Jimmyzr1

Another problem I have is I had previously sponsored an ex-wife on a fiancé' visa 12 years ago, we got divorced in 2015 and she has worked on and off since then, but I don't think close to the 40 quarter requirement, so I know I have to add her on this. She was unemployed because having 2 brain surgeries with a stage 3 or 4 cancerous tumor. I thought she had gotten married years ago, but found out she's only been using his last name but living with him.

I just found out all of this recently after not talking with her and living out of the US for 2.5 of the last 5 years.

So, I have to list myself, my wife, her son and my ex-wife for a total of 4. Am I going to have problems with the I-864 and USCIS?

9 hours ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

Another problem I have is I had previously sponsored an ex-wife on a fiancé' visa 12 years ago, we got divorced in 2015 and she has worked on and off since then, but I don't think close to the 40 quarter requirement, so I know I have to add her on this. She was unemployed because having 2 brain surgeries with a stage 3 or 4 cancerous tumor. I thought she had gotten married years ago, but found out she's only been using his last name but living with him.

I just found out all of this recently after not talking with her and living out of the US for 2.5 of the last 5 years.

So, I have to list myself, my wife, her son and my ex-wife for a total of 4. Am I going to have problems with the I-864 and USCIS?

And you can confirm she hasn't naturalized? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

To calculate current annual income, use the gross amount listed on both the Social Security Benefit letter and the VA awards letter.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Family said:

they often miss

Any insight why that is? NVC seems to botch I-864 reviews most of the time.

32 minutes ago, Mike E said:
54 minutes ago, Family said:

they often miss

Any insight why that is? NVC seems to botch I-864 reviews most of the time.

I believe NVC works off a checklist and anything other than a W-2 ends up with an 80 page submission that resembles a Where Waldo hunt…plus listing the formula / docs you are using on last page of I-864 insures they look at it…cause they mostly ignore “cover letters”

17 hours ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

My current annual income is over $73,000. My income is comprised of VA and social security. VA is not taxable.

On lines 24a, 24b and 24c, I'm having problems figuring out what to use as my income? I've seen others have said to use the Total income on the 2nd page but that make zero sense to me.

Follow the I-864 form instructions.  For part 6, items 24.a to c on form I-864, copy the Total Income figures exactly as they are listed on your tax return transcripts for the 3 most recent tax years.  As in, the actual number on the line that says "TOTAL INCOME".

Your current annual income should be listed on part 6, item 7.  This is where you list the income following the calculation advised by @Crazy Cat above.  Note that item 24a = PAST income, while item 7 = CURRENT income, so those two items do not have to be equal.

14 hours ago, Redro said:

And you can confirm she hasn't naturalized? 

yes, she has close to 31 credits by my estimation.

14 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

To calculate current annual income, use the gross amount listed on both the Social Security Benefit letter and the VA awards letter.  

Yes, I already listed over $73k on that answer, my problem is answering 24a,b,c.

7 hours ago, Chancy said:

Follow the I-864 form instructions.  For part 6, items 24.a to c on form I-864, copy the Total Income figures exactly as they are listed on your tax return transcripts for the 3 most recent tax years.  As in, the actual number on the line that says "TOTAL INCOME".

Your current annual income should be listed on part 6, item 7.  This is where you list the income following the calculation advised by @Crazy Cat above.  Note that item 24a = PAST income, while item 7 = CURRENT income, so those two items do not have to be equal.

Ok, thank you for this answer, which is what I read, but makes no sense to me since it shows my Total income in 2022 is only $502!

13 hours ago, Family said:

Spell out the non taxable nature of your qualifying income on last page of I-864 ..they often miss it. Write “ My qualifying SS & VA income is non taxable and both are lifetime awards, see attached documentation.” 

Thanks for your answers, I will add this.

9 minutes ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

Ok, thank you for this answer, which is what I read, but makes no sense to me since it shows my Total income in 2022 is only $502

That is the question that asks you to enter the figures as reflected in your Tax Return..( the taxable income) but remember your return also has a line that shows your non taxable income ..

Hope it clarifies a bit.

6 minutes ago, Family said:

That is the question that asks you to enter the figures as reflected in your Tax Return..( the taxable income) but remember your return also has a line that shows your non taxable income ..

Hope it clarifies a bit.

Thanks, I only have my tax transcripts and I see only the $502 in the Total income as Chancy stated. @3,340 in SS benefits, $12,950 in standard deduction, and $501 as Taxable Interest Income. Also AGI is $502.

Edited by Jimmyzr1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.