mauf09@gmail.com

Citizen evidence for petitioner-need consular letter, birth certificate?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello dear forum users,

I am a US citizen naturalized through adoption from the Philippines who is petitioning my husband from Peru through the CR1 visa. I saw on the USCIS website they stated 

• An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport; 

Will the original statement from the consular office be necessary since I was naturalized? I have a valid US passport and a US naturalization certificate. 

Many websites state I need to provide my birth certificate for the CR1. The Philippines lost my birth certificate, and I only have a certified copy of it. Will USCIS accept this?

Thank you for your time!

Best

Mahajoy

23 hours ago, mauf09@gmail.com said:

I have a valid US passport and a US naturalization certificate.

Submit a copy of either your valid US passport bio page or your US naturalization certificate.  No need for any statement from a CO.  The requirement is to provide one evidence of US citizenship, not to provide as many as you can from the list of examples.

Also, ignore what non-official websites say.  Your Philippine birth certificate would be useless as proof of your US citizenship.  Do not submit a copy of your PH BC for the I-130 petition.

Btw, are you sure you have a naturalization certificate, not a certificate of citizenship (CoC)?  Those are two different documents.  In any case, a copy of the US CoC is also acceptable for the I-130.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Chancy said:

Btw, are you sure you have a naturalization certificate, not a certificate of citizenship (CoC)?  Those are two different documents.  In any case, a copy of the US CoC is also acceptable for the I-130.

Excellent question.  If you are the adopted child of a US Citizen, you would have a certificate of Citizenship, not a Naturalization Certificate.  Does your certificate title contain the word Naturalization?

As you go forward studying instructions, pay attention to little words like and, or & if, and take them literally.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello Chancy,

Yes, I am definitely sure. In some cases of adopted children to US citizen parents they indeed do issue a certificate of naturalization, which is what I have. Yes, indeed it contains the word naturalization, and definitely not a certificate of citizenship. 

Thanks,

Mahajoy

On 5/19/2023 at 9:08 AM, mauf09@gmail.com said:

Yes, I am definitely sure. In some cases of adopted children to US citizen parents they indeed do issue a certificate of naturalization, which is what I have. Yes, indeed it contains the word naturalization, and definitely not a certificate of citizenship. 

That's fine then.  A copy of either your valid US passport bio page or your US naturalization certificate will be acceptable as proof of your US citizenship.

Was your name changed when you were adopted?  If so, make sure to list your birth name in the section for Other Name(s) Used.  You will also need to submit evidence of your legal name change -- ie, your adoption papers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.