Nacafagno

K-1 vs CR-1, which route is better for me?

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Recently I've been assembling my K-1 packet to petition my Filipina fiancé. Upon further research, it seems that the CR-1 seems to be the faster option of the two. Just wanted to get some insight on people who have knowledge on this subject. My current situation is I can file the I-129F for the K-1 this month and get it started. My other option, is to travel back to the Philippines in either August or September and marry my fiancé and file a CR-1. My goal is to get my fiancé to America as fast as possible and I'm not entirely sure which route would be best for me. I know CR-1 recently have shorter processing times but I've always heard K-1 processing time is starting to shorten soon as well. Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

See the comparison, as compiled by our fine member Crazy Cat:
K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
    CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

----

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the "What Visa" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

@Crazy Cat’s overview is a good resource. In terms of timelines there isn’t a big difference at the moment. But don’t just look at the ‘fastest’ way, also look at what is best for the foreign partner.

Do you want your spouse to be stuck in the US without being able to work, integrate and build their own life for many months? Is that a fair start of a life in a new country? If the answer is no, the CR1 would be the way to go and not the K1.

Talk with your partner and make a decision with your head, not your heart. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

2 hours ago, Nacafagno said:

Hello all,

Recently I've been assembling my K-1 packet to petition my Filipina fiancé. Upon further research, it seems that the CR-1 seems to be the faster option of the two. Just wanted to get some insight on people who have knowledge on this subject. My current situation is I can file the I-129F for the K-1 this month and get it started. My other option, is to travel back to the Philippines in either August or September and marry my fiancé and file a CR-1. My goal is to get my fiancé to America as fast as possible and I'm not entirely sure which route would be best for me. I know CR-1 recently have shorter processing times but I've always heard K-1 processing time is starting to shorten soon as well. Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

@Crazy Cat’s overview is a good resource. In terms of timelines there isn’t a big difference at the moment. But don’t just look at the ‘fastest’ way, also look at what is best for the foreign partner.

Do you want your spouse to be stuck in the US without being able to work, integrate and build their own life for many months? Is that a fair start of a life in a new country? If the answer is no, the CR1 would be the way to go and not the K1.

Talk with your partner and make a decision with your head, not your heart. 

Adding to this… depending on where you currently live your partner might not be able to drive or go to school until they receive their EAD (permission to work)… and they might have issues getting health insurance through your job or through the exchange.  You should research what your partner will be able to do and what you can afford if you live in the US together but you are the only one working and driving for up to one year. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Also add the new proposed fee for adjusting status once married in  USA is suppose to go up from $1225 to $2820  when u do a K1

13 hours ago, Nacafagno said:

Hello all,

As others have said, there are many factors than just the "what's the faster way".  In the end, it is your decision, which you have to make with your partner together and consider everything that is involved.

We are K1-ers from when K1 was "faster".  However, we still considered the CR1 route.  At the time, we just went with the K1 because we had other factors that it just made sense for him to get here sooner, and we had things he could be doing/I needed help with while waiting on the AOS approval, etc.  However, as others have pointed out, you have to consider your partner's current life there versus the waiting time here without being able to move on with his/her life if you go with a K1.  In my opinion, the K1 and CR1 are taking about the same to get approved nowadays, so it just makes sense to go the CR1 route for them to get the GC and enter the US ready to just start a new life without the "I am in the USA but I am stuck and I cannot do much".  For many people and marriages, this season is the most challenging because not a lot of people can handle the inactivity as far as productivity goes, the loneliness of being by themselves while the USC has to go to work, the having to be so dependent on another person to maneuver around this new country, the USC having someone that is so dependent on them, etc.

We were blessed that none of these were as challenging to us (and we had the pandemic six months into our marriage), but it was mainly because we talked about it and being aware of it allowed us to just plan for it or handle it better.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed
June 2024 - Biometrics Reused
July 2024 - Approved (NO INTERVIEW) and GC received.

20 hours ago, Nacafagno said:

Hello all,

CR-1 is the best option.   Neither is “fast,” and it will be at least two years before she has a visa, regardless of which one you choose.

17 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Also add the new proposed fee for adjusting status once married in  USA is suppose to go up from $1225 to $2820  when u do a K1

Great point.

Unfortunately we did not have a choice and had to go the K1 route but as it turned out, my spouse had to return to their country before the AOS was completed and we had to do the CR1, but, I still believe the CR1 is far better because the process these days for AOS tales for ever and having to stay home bored and nothing to do is quite a challenge.  With the CR1 once they arrive in the USA in a matter of a few weeks they have their green card and life is much easier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

As a Jan 2023 K1 filer, I'm eternally kicking myself for me and my fiancee being stupid and not getting married and doing the CR-1. As others have posted above, think with your *head* and not with your heart, and with USCIS its better to ignore your emotions and focus solely on the cold hard facts (something my fiancee is terrible at). Yes, Utah online marriages are a thing, but again my fiancee values having even just a small in-person ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 5/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, JeanneAdil said:

Or rather, EAD and AP stop being free with AOS from a K1 (the fee for just AOS actually goes down very slightly because there's no biometrics fee anymore). Strictly speaking, you don't have to apply for either (though it's probably a bad idea not to).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/11/2023 at 7:33 PM, Nacafagno said:

Hello all,

If you decide to go with the CR-1 approach, then by doing the Utah online wedding you will save many months. This is because the Philippines process to get a marriage license and then wait for the PSA marriage certificate to file the I-130 is very slow.

2 hours ago, W199 said:

If you decide to go with the CR-1 approach, then by doing the Utah online wedding you will save many months. This is because the Philippines process to get a marriage license and then wait for the PSA marriage certificate to file the I-130 is very slow.

Is the PSA certificate required? Would a certified true copy from the city or municipal hall not work?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.