Lyrati

2 Marriage certificates

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lyrati said:

I actually just knew this, thanks! In my point of view as a foreign spouse who live abroad, if there is no such thing as registerimg marriage in the US, then the US system will show the US spouse status as always as single, rigjt? Unless it is asked, and it’s never been asked if foreign spouse is not living in the US. 

NO.  There is no "US spouse status".  It doesn't exist, because each state controls marriage in the state.  Still, married is married.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

33 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I find this a tough one.  I don't know how USCIS will respond to an explanation OR to a voiding or annulment.  If you had never mentioned the Houston Marriage, there would be no problem.  Now that they know about it, what will they do if you just explain your mistake?  I think you actually WERE qualified at the time of filing.  You were legally and lawfully married in Indonesia.  If the second marriage is deemed reason for denial, then annulment or voiding of it, AFTER filing should have the same result.

if we never mentioned the houston marriage, won’t they find it in the system there? Cos there is a marriage record for marriage there, isn’t it? It’s been telling that we always have  to be truthful with immigration. If you are in our shoes, what do you think it’s the best to deal with the RFE

Edited by Lyrati

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lyrati said:

if we never mentioned the houston marriage, won’t they find it in the system there? Cos there is a marriage record for marriage there, isn’t it? It’s bern telling that we always havr to be truthful with immigration. If you are in our shoes, what do you think it’s the best to deal with the RFE

No, they won't find it in a "system" that doesn't exist.  My best "guess" is to try to void the marriage in Texas before the RFE deadline.  If you can they provide both an explanation and documentation the marriage is void.  If you can't, then provide the explanation only, and see what happens.  (It won't "hurt" as the damage, if any, has already been done.)

My "guess" is not legal advice.  It's just an opinion, based on the information available and comments from other senior/knowledgeable members.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I'll just add that the USA, may be the only country in the world that has no National registry of marriages.  Since other countries do, it's understandable that people get confused, even Americans.  However, since the US Citizen would have needed to go to a US Consulate to get a notarized affidavit of they are free to marry, THAT would have been a big CLUE.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

No, they won't find it in a "system" that doesn't exist.  My best "guess" is to try to void the marriage in Texas before the RFE deadline.  If you can they provide both an explanation and documentation the marriage is void.  If you can't, then provide the explanation only, and see what happens.  (It won't "hurt" as the damage, if any, has already been done.)

My "guess" is not legal advice.  It's just an opinion, based on the information available and comments from other senior/knowledgeable members.

Thank you for your opinion! Really appreciate it! i’m thankful for this community and for everyone’s here who’s willing to share their knowledges, input and opinions  which will we take for consideration and gives us the strength we need to deal with our tough situation. 

I'll just add that the USA, may be the only country in the world that has no National registry of marriages.  Since other countries do, it's understandable that people get confused, even Americans.  However, since the US Citizen would have needed to go to a US Consulate to get a notarized affidavit of they are free to marry, THAT would have been a big CLUE.

it’s answered our confusion. In my country, we have to register our abroad marriage to be recognized here. Although bigamy is illegal here without other spouse consent. I think the registration is needed anywhere else to avoid people from easily practicing bigamy specially in US. Yes, we need the notarized affidavit from embassy before we got married here. How we suppose to know if it was a big clue? I thought it was the law here that require the single and free to marry status before getting married here, as its applied to local marriage as well, just not from embassy. 

Edited by Lyrati

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lyrati said:

it’s answered our confusion. In my country, we have to register our abroad marriage to be recognized here. Although bigamy is illegal here without other spouse consent. I think the registration is needed anywhere else to avoid people from easily practicing bigamy specially in US. Yes, we need the notarized affidavit from embassy before we got married here. How we suppose to know if it was a big clue? I thought it was the law here that require the single and free to marry status before getting married here, as its applied to local marriage as well, just not from embassy. 

Yes, the clue is that there is no certificate to obtain from the US Government.  You get the notarized affidavit instead, because a government certificate marital status does not exist.  The affidavit you got was just a statement from your spouse, that the Consulate notarized.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.