Damirga

How to change interview location before DS 260 form submission?

6 posts in this topic

Hi! How can I change the interview location in form DS 260 (dv lottery) before submission? I'm filling this for a friend,  and due to war in Sudan, he won't be able to have his interview in Khartoum, Sudan. So, I suggested a couple of countries that require a counter visa only for Sudanese citizens; So I put Malaysia as starters and proceeded with filling the rest of the form thinking I can go back and change the embassy location once we made a final decision. The problem is that when I went back to change the interview location, this section was no longer active and grey color. I can't change it anymore no matter what, even though I haven't submitted the form yet. Does this mean I have to email KCC to unlock it for me? Help, please!

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20230507_025154_Chrome.jpg

27 minutes ago, Damirga said:

Hi! How can I change the interview location in form DS 260 (dv lottery) before submission? I'm filling this for a friend,  and due to war in Sudan, he won't be able to have his interview in Khartoum, Sudan. So, I suggested a couple of countries that require a counter visa only for Sudanese citizens; So I put Malaysia as starters and proceeded with filling the rest of the form thinking I can go back and change the embassy location once we made a final decision. The problem is that when I went back to change the interview location, this section was no longer active and grey color. I can't change it anymore no matter what, even though I haven't submitted the form yet. Does this mean I have to email KCC to unlock it for me? Help, please!

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20230507_025154_Chrome.jpg

Is this DV2023? And to clarify, the DS260 has not ever been submitted?

35 minutes ago, Damirga said:

It's a 2024 winner, and the form isn't submitted yet, That's why I was perplexed!

At the beginning of the form, you select the location for your interview, and this choice cannot be changed later.

KCC, when processing the DS260 and determining interview location, considers your selection and compares it to your present address.

When they differ, the present address is the preferred input.

If the present address does not have a US consulate or embassy, they assign those nationals elsewhere, usually in a country that is relatively accessible. For example, Somalian applicants are assigned to Nairobi, Afghan applicants to Islamabad, Chad applicants to Yaounde, etc; The events in Sudan are too recent though and as such DOS has not yet announced what embassy will process Sudanese nationals.

To change your interview location, your current address must be within the jurisdiction of your desired embassy. KCC will see the difference and will base the location on the address.

After submitting the DS260 you can also email

them at kccdv@state.gov and clarify that the selection is inaccurate and you should be interviewed at embassy X, but it’s important the present address matches or they may not honor it. 

Edited by throwitaway

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, throwitaway said:

At the beginning of the form, you select the location for your interview, and this choice cannot be changed later.

KCC, when processing the DS260 and determining interview location, considers your selection and compares it to your present address.

When they differ, the present address is the preferred input.

If the present address does not have a US consulate or embassy, they assign those nationals elsewhere, usually in a country that is relatively accessible. For example, Somalian applicants are assigned to Nairobi, Afghan applicants to Islamabad, Chad applicants to Yaounde, etc; The events in Sudan are too recent though and as such DOS has not yet announced what embassy will process Sudanese nationals.

To change your interview location, your current address must be within the jurisdiction of your desired embassy. KCC will see the difference and will base the location on the address.

After submitting the DS260 you can also email

them at kccdv@state.gov and clarify that the selection is inaccurate and you should be interviewed at embassy X, but it’s important the present address matches or they may not honor it. 

Do you know if they provide visa’s to get to these countries for their interview since the embassy’s are closed in their country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.