FONA

Get selected later? Should I keep confirmation number?

18 posts in this topic

Hi.

Today is the day many of us have been waiting for, some hours left now to see if you that had applied for the Diversity Visa Program got selceted or not.

I don't really know if this was the prior years before, like a decade before or so. But if you logged in with your confirmation number and you didn't get selected the first day of results or maybe the first month, you got an information box on the Departmen of state/USCIS website that you may keep your confirmation number and check in later, because there might be a chance that you could get selected later in the process. 

I don't know if this is the case today? When looking back at some screenshots from Google, this is indeed the case, but those are from 2011 and 2016 I think.

Is this scenario also true today? Because today is the day that folks can check if they got selected, but if they didn't, can they get selected later?

How long should one wait and check? Should I check continuously for some months?

Or did the Department of State simply remove that option, i.e, if you ain't selected, you won't be selected for that fiscal year?

Edited by FONA

Just now, FONA said:

Hi.

Today is the day many of us have been waiting for, some hours left now to see if you that applied for Diversity Visa program got selceted or not.

I don't really know if this was the prior years before, like a decade before or so. But if you logged in with your confirmation number and you didn't get selected the first day of results or maybe the first month, you got an information box on the Departmen of state/USCIS website that you may keep your confirmation number and check in later, because there might be a chance that you could get selected later in the process. 

I don't know if this is the case today? When looking back at some screenshots from Google, this is indeed the case, but those are from 2011 and 2016 I think.

Is this scenario also true today? Because today is the day that folks can check if they got selected, but if they didn't, can they get selected later?

How long should one wait and check? Should I check continuously for some months?

Or did the Department of State simply remove that option, i.e, if you ain't selected, you won't be selected for that fiscal year?

The results are published at noon EDT.

When you login with your confirmation number you’ll have a selection letter or a “not selected” letter. 

DOS does not usually run another draw unless something crazy happens, like a malfunction.

Just now, throwitaway said:

The results are published at noon EDT.

When you login with your confirmation number you’ll have a selection letter or a “not selected” letter. 

DOS does not usually run another draw unless something crazy happens, like a malfunction.

Ok!

But they used to do that from what I know? They used to tell the applicants to save their number and see if they got selected later.

So that is not the case nowdays then?

Just now, FONA said:

Ok!

But they used to do that from what I know? They used to tell the applicants to save their number and see if they got selected later.

So that is not the case nowdays then?

I don’t know, but it’s good practice to save it until at least Sept 30. You can follow the news maybe, set an alert for “Diversity Lottery,” but if you’re not selected today it’s usually over. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They usually select enough to cover no shows

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OP  there is no need for a 2nd drawing as per Boiler comment

the following  for 2023 explains what USCIS does

they give out 55,000 DV lottery visas but many of the people that are drawn do not qualify when they interview or they fail to follow thru by actually applying for the visa 

2. The main draw

Candidates will be distributed among the six geographic regions. The quota for each country is no more than 7% of the winners. The computer will randomly select a certain number of winners from the general base of the region. A total of 100,000 to 150,000 winners worldwide will be chosen at this stage. However, no more than half of them will have access to the prize. Each of the selected entries will undergo a thorough screening process to filter out trash and rule violations.

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

OP  there is no need for a 2nd drawing as per Boiler comment

the following  for 2023 explains what USCIS does

they give out 55,000 DV lottery visas but many of the people that are drawn do not qualify when they interview or they fail to follow thru by actually applying for the visa 

2. The main draw

Candidates will be distributed among the six geographic regions. The quota for each country is no more than 7% of the winners. The computer will randomly select a certain number of winners from the general base of the region. A total of 100,000 to 150,000 winners worldwide will be chosen at this stage. However, no more than half of them will have access to the prize. Each of the selected entries will undergo a thorough screening process to filter out trash and rule violations.

First of all, USCIS has nothing to do with the DVD program.  It's a State Department operation.

Second, I find it always better to go to an official information source versus other sites.  The cited information (copIed from the link?) is an okay summary of the process, but doesn't give official, complete information.  In the FAQ section of the DV Instructions, Question 22, (there's a link to the FAQs on page 3 of the instructions at this site: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions.pdf) it says to keep your confirmation number until September 30, 2024, in case of any  updates.

Edited by jan22

Timeline
1 hour ago, jan22 said:

First of all, USCIS has nothing to do with the DVD program.  It's a State Department operation.

Second, I find it always better to go to an official information source versus other sites.  The cited information (copIed from the link?) is an okay summary of the process, but doesn't give official, complete information.  In the FAQ section of the DV Instructions, Question 22, (there's a link to the FAQs on page 3 of the instructions at this site: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions.pdf) it says to keep your confirmation number until September 30, 2024, in case of any  updates.

sorry i knew it was DOS/  just trying  to cut and paste as it hurts these days to type while i wait for  my 3rd shoulder surgery

From https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected.html

It is important to remember that selection does not guarantee you will receive a visa. In order to receive a DV to immigrate to the United States, selectees must still meet all eligibility requirements under U.S. law.

Filed: Timeline
9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

sorry i knew it was DOS/  just trying  to cut and paste as it hurts these days to type while i wait for  my 3rd shoulder surgery

From https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected.html

It is important to remember that selection does not guarantee you will receive a visa. In order to receive a DV to immigrate to the United States, selectees must still meet all eligibility requirements under U.S. law.

Sorry about the shoulder -- I know they can be painful.  Just wanted to be sure people would be going to the correct agency site for information.

Your quoted section is true of any visa any time!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Sorry about the shoulder -- I know they can be painful.  Just wanted to be sure people would be going to the correct agency site for information

Your quoted section is true of any visa any time!

yes, i find it strange that some think a visa is guaranteed just because they do a petition /t there seem to be a lot of USC or LPR who do not know this although it is in writing on the receipt 

and sorry for typing so darn slow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected/diversity-visa-confirm-your-qualifications.html

If you do not have either the required education or qualifying work experience, you are not eligible for a diversity visa. (Only you, as the principal applicant, must meet this requirement. Your spouse and children do not have to meet this requirement.) You should consider not pursuing a DV application if you do not meet the qualifying education or work experience requirements explained below as you may not be eligible for a diversity visa and any fees you pay for the visa application will not be refunded.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected/diversity-visa-submit-your-iv-and-alien-registration-application.html

Please be aware that KCC can only tell you if your form has been processed. KCC cannot tell you whether or not you or your family members are eligible for diversity visas. Only the consular officer who interviews you can make that decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.