ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh no... you're available for EI because you moved and your job wasn't available where you were moving for family.

Yep I figured as much! Tried to tell my ex-boss that but he wouldn't believe me. Oh well. :/

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Timeline

Well, just called the EI Service Canada 'Out of Canada' hotline and they received my application as well as the antedate form I faxed! They said they're going to mail me a questionnaire and asked that I forward a photocopy of the NOA I get for the EAD when I send the questionnaire back.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

6 hours ago, zilchfox said:

Well, just called the EI Service Canada 'Out of Canada' hotline and they received my application as well as the antedate form I faxed! They said they're going to mail me a questionnaire and asked that I forward a photocopy of the NOA I get for the EAD when I send the questionnaire back.

sounds right on track!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question hopefully someone can help me. I would like to do the online application for EI. My last payday from work was December 23, 2016. I noticed on the question they ask if I'm pregnant which I am. However I'm not looking to receive maternity benefits just regular benefits. I believe the regular benefit is better. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, a.ali28 said:

I have a question hopefully someone can help me. I would like to do the online application for EI. My last payday from work was December 23, 2016. I noticed on the question they ask if I'm pregnant which I am. However I'm not looking to receive maternity benefits just regular benefits. I believe the regular benefit is better. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

Oh by the way I move next week and I wouldn't be giving birth until the end of June. 

26 minutes ago, a.ali28 said:

Maternity benefits are generally the same and you're eligible for longer without looking for work.  As long as you qualify in hours you should get 55% of your pay up to $543 weekly.  To be honest, I'd go that route over regular benefits with the requirement to be looking for a job.  

However,I don't think you're elgible for maternity yet because you're due in June so you can use regular benefits and look for a job, then as long as less than 6 months have passed I think you can get maternity as well.  I know they said I could reopen or reapply within a certain time frame when I ended mine in sept.  I thought it was may...  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Maternity benefits are generally the same and you're eligible for longer without looking for work.  As long as you qualify in hours you should get 55% of your pay up to $543 weekly.  To be honest, I'd go that route over regular benefits with the requirement to be looking for a job.  

However,I don't think you're elgible for maternity yet because you're due in June so you can use regular benefits and look for a job, then as long as less than 6 months have passed I think you can get maternity as well.  I know they said I could reopen or reapply within a certain time frame when I ended mine in sept.  I thought it was may...  

Thank you so much. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there anyway to get EI on a CR-1 visa?  My partner will interview in mid-January and quit his job in preparation of moving in the middle of December.  Just wondering if there's any way for him to get EI upon initially moving to the US with his green card to join me.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

20 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

Is there anyway to get EI on a CR-1 visa?  My partner will interview in mid-January and quit his job in preparation of moving in the middle of December.  Just wondering if there's any way for him to get EI upon initially moving to the US with his green card to join me.

Yes, CR1 can get EI.  I did.  I applied while still in Canada after my visa was returned to me, and put my US address.  Then once you're in the USA, he'll have to fill out a form and fax that and his endorsed visa as proof of his ability to work in the USA.   It's really not advisable to quit before getting the visa.  You don't know how long it will take to get it back.  Hopefully you won't have issues.  

Edited by NikLR

Timeline

Small update for me:

Called yesterday to let them know that the questionnaire I've sent back along with copies of my documents might be late because USPS told me it'll take 10 business days to send back by regular international mail, and Patrick was fine with it and said he'd leave a note. He also informed me that my antedate form was approved! So this means that should I and once I receive benefits, they'll treat the application as if I filed it on time instead of late. Whew! :) 

21 hours ago, zilchfox said:

Small update for me:

Called yesterday to let them know that the questionnaire I've sent back along with copies of my documents might be late because USPS told me it'll take 10 business days to send back by regular international mail, and Patrick was fine with it and said he'd leave a note. He also informed me that my antedate form was approved! So this means that should I and once I receive benefits, they'll treat the application as if I filed it on time instead of late. Whew! :) 

I like Patrick. He handled my case too.  I think he does most people's.  Lol. 

If you guys ever want to fax them, its way quicker.  I use hello fax through gmail.  Scan the form with a printer/scanner and fax online with your email address.  That way you're not waiting on the mail. 

Timeline

EI claim approved! They're just waiting for my EAD card now and then they'll start issuing direct deposit payments to my bank account in Canada. I would have never known this was possible if it wasn't for this thread. Thank you guys!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there any place I can read about this EI business? I was completely unaware of what it was, and I'm not sure if it'd be useful for me to know for my husband. I've gone through a few pages of this thread, but it's hard to gather info from context sometimes. D:

(L) Married: April 23, 2016 (L)

CR-1 Timeline

Spoiler

USCIS Timeline
2016-04-30     Filed I-130
2016-05-02     Received NOA1
2016-08-31     Received NOA2
2016-09-27     Case sent to the NVC (151 days at USCIS)

NVC Timeline
2016-10-03     NVC Received Case
2016-10-14     Received Welcome Letter and Case Number via Email
2016-10-14     AOS Fee Invoiced, Paid AOS Fee
2016-10-14     Submitted Choice of Agent (DS-261)
2016-10-22     IV Fee Invoiced, Paid IV Fee
2016-10-25     Emailed AOS Package
2016-10-26     Submitted IV Application (DS-260)
2016-10-27     Scan Date
2016-12-07     Received Checklist via Phone, Emailed Checklist Documents
2016-12-08     Case Entered Supervisor Review
2016-12-13     Case Complete Received via Phone
2016-12-15     Interview Date Received via Phone
2016-12-16     Received Interview Letter via Email (Packet 4)
2016-12-16     Case sent to Embassy (75 days at NVC)

Montreal Embassy Timeline
2016-12-19     Embassy Received Case
2017-01-03     Medical
2017-01-26     Interview! (272 days from filing date)
2017-01-26     Interview Results - Approved!
2017-01-27     Visa Issued
2017-01-30     Visa Received

USA Timeline
2017-02-09     POE

2017-02-21     Received SSN
0000-00-00     Received Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, thank-you for the great outline, it was very helpful!! Unfortunately, I don't think it will be applicable in my husband's case. He's been unemployed for quite some time.

(L) Married: April 23, 2016 (L)

CR-1 Timeline

Spoiler

USCIS Timeline
2016-04-30     Filed I-130
2016-05-02     Received NOA1
2016-08-31     Received NOA2
2016-09-27     Case sent to the NVC (151 days at USCIS)

NVC Timeline
2016-10-03     NVC Received Case
2016-10-14     Received Welcome Letter and Case Number via Email
2016-10-14     AOS Fee Invoiced, Paid AOS Fee
2016-10-14     Submitted Choice of Agent (DS-261)
2016-10-22     IV Fee Invoiced, Paid IV Fee
2016-10-25     Emailed AOS Package
2016-10-26     Submitted IV Application (DS-260)
2016-10-27     Scan Date
2016-12-07     Received Checklist via Phone, Emailed Checklist Documents
2016-12-08     Case Entered Supervisor Review
2016-12-13     Case Complete Received via Phone
2016-12-15     Interview Date Received via Phone
2016-12-16     Received Interview Letter via Email (Packet 4)
2016-12-16     Case sent to Embassy (75 days at NVC)

Montreal Embassy Timeline
2016-12-19     Embassy Received Case
2017-01-03     Medical
2017-01-26     Interview! (272 days from filing date)
2017-01-26     Interview Results - Approved!
2017-01-27     Visa Issued
2017-01-30     Visa Received

USA Timeline
2017-02-09     POE

2017-02-21     Received SSN
0000-00-00     Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.