ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed over the internet to start my EI. First i talked to a dude over the phone. He emailed me on the steps and link to the site!1 Was very simple to do. In a few places one has to "trick" the pages, ie for ur current addy (or something liek that) one had to puit in an ontario address, etc etc

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Yeah, I filed over the internet too, but that was after I spoke to a person who gave me the internet address. I don't remember the process, but it was pretty simple - I was able to put in my US address and everything.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

just filed online.

I made a bo-bo and added one of my jobs twice (woopsie) b/c it wasn't showing in the list at first til I "checked out".

I'll call in the am to talk to a rep.

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Couple q's....

1) what did you EI cover letter look like? What did you discuss? I'm trying to write it right now and it is coming off very awkward.

2) did you fill out the 14 Highest Wks of Insurable Earnings? I do have wavering employment but it seems like such a pain to get those old schedules from management... does it really make a difference?

3) How long did it take for you to get your access code in the mail?

that's all I've got for right now =)

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

been awhile for me, I'm sure others will pop in!! The ROE has to be the original (make a copy for urself) They will calculate how much $$$ get. They will automatically deduct 25% for taxes.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Cover letter??

I think I just wrote in better words why I had move here and why I was asking for EI. Copies of everythnig, but ROE has to be original.

I think I received my access code fairly quick after they approved my claim, but that itself took 3 months.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline

I guess i did do a short letter. More or less just stated why I was moving to the USA, nothing long winded.

I didn't even do a cover letter. Maybe that's why I got rejected :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Couple q's....

1) what did you EI cover letter look like? What did you discuss? I'm trying to write it right now and it is coming off very awkward.

2) did you fill out the 14 Highest Wks of Insurable Earnings? I do have wavering employment but it seems like such a pain to get those old schedules from management... does it really make a difference?

3) How long did it take for you to get your access code in the mail?

that's all I've got for right now =)

EI cover letter just listed what i was sending to them - and noted that i had relocated for marriage - don't think i put anything else in there - except my US address and my SIN number.

The best 14 weeks are to be filled on the ROE by the employer no? And it only applies to specific areas of the country.. so if they are not filled out by your employer perhaps you are not in those EI prone areas? Just thinking outloud here..

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/ei/empl...on14weeks.shtml

It took until i received my first set of cards to get my access code. They told me to look at the bottom of the cover letter with the cards and it's printed there :)

Hope it helps! :thumbs:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I didn't even do a cover letter. Maybe that's why I got rejected :lol:

HAHAHA..

I didn't either but I applied initially for regular benefits but I didn't get my ROE in on time and the denied it then Right after ai had our son so they sent me a form for parental.. sent that in with my ROe and few days later got a payment.. Don't be fooled you do not get 55% of what you made.. Well you do up to $464 a week I think.. Here I was hoping I was gonna get like 3500-4000 a month boy was I wrong hahaha..

also with parental I dont have to fill out the report cards.

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is certainly some good advice in here.

I filed online with my US address. Unfortunately I didn't file it immediately after crossing the border (Aug 2007), but instead just filed online last week and mailed my ROE in a few days later.

The best 14 weeks are not on the ROE. The ROE simply shows your last sets of gross pay. My area (south BC) isn't included in the 14 best weeks according to EI's website, but I filled them in on the application anyways. Can't hurt I figure.

By not sending this stuff off earlier, I may lose out on some benefits. I'm not sure though. My ROE had almost 2200 insurable hours. Even counting 52 weeks backwards from today's date, I still have something like 1400 hours of time. I think the difference would be that I would only get something like 22 weeks eligibility rather than 36.

Yeah, the 25% non resident tax off the top is a fairly good chunk of change. But I'd rather them take it off the top and then not have to deal with it later on.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I do actually qualify for EI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.