ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving job. I put down my US address.

They send everything via snail mail, but you can call to do the reports vs mailing them. You can check online for how much you're getting etc but calling or faxing the international office once you're in the USA is faster than snail mail.

They will end up needing a copy of your endorsed visa (I faxed it) and will send you a questionnaire

Thanks NLR - you always have the straight goods on this process! :)

- I was wondering about applying before my actual last day of work - You don't think EI will be immediately looking for my ROE? I'm not sure if my employer will issue it till after my last day?

I figured to be in BC for 2-3 weeks after my last day of work, just to finish up packing and shipping and all the other things one has to get done before leaving for my POE.

When you say you can call in to do your bi weekly reports (I assume they're still bi weekly, it's been over 30 years since I last claimed what was then called "UIC"....LOL) do you mean it's an automated system, press 1 press 2 kind of thing?? Just curious.

Namaste.

No you call, and leave a message for a call back and wait for them to call you back. Then they ask you, were you ready wiling and able to work? etc... Takes them 2 days to put the deposit in, but it has to be in a Canadian bank account (as far as I understand.) Opening cross country bank accounts is a good idea (either RBC or TD does them) so that you can move the money easily. Depositing a Canadian Cheque in the USA is a royal PITA. Both my banks, neither of which has a branch in my area, require me to send the cheque to their main office and then wait 2 weeks for it to be cashed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks NLR - which bank did you prefer?? And were you able to access your funds through a bank machine in the US?

I have a Bank of America account already set up in Michigan, but should probably look into the cross border account.

I used RBC because at the time people had some issues with TD, both those seem to be cleared up now. Because you transfer the funds to the USA, you can access them from a bank machine, but generally I pay everything with debit. My husband and I also share a USAA account. I transfer money back to Canada once a month so it works pretty slick. Just takes a few days for the transfer to go through. Transferring money within Canada is so much easier than the USA because there is no interact e-mail transfers down here. You have to register accounts with each other, which can be a PITA. But depositing checks here is easy (unless they're foreign.) You just sign and scan them with your phone! Crazy!

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

NLR - thanks again for that info. Ironically I work for one of the big Canadian banks - just not the ones you've referenced.

We have mobile banking, first of the big 5 to offer it, but no cross border accounts.

I may just leave my existing account open there and have money wired down to my BoA account as I need it. One of the advantages of having worked for this same company for 28 years is that I just have to phone one of my buddies and have them do it, no fancy hoops or paperwork to go through. And as I'm sadly not leaving Canada debt free (are ANY of us debt free?) The EI will give me a bridge to service my remaining debt up here and some cash while I get settled in and am looking for work.

I feel like things are going to start moving rather quickly now, so trying not to freak out about all the stuff I have to figure out before the big move.....

Peace to you.

:)

I left Canada debt free. :) But we were broke as heck when I got here. The only debt my husband and I have at the moment is our Jeep.

If you want to leave that money in Canada and to pay those outstanding debts, that's a great idea. I left my BMO account open because it was joint with my mother. I transfer money into it for gifts etc... I wish they had cross border banking. I've been with BMO since 1999.

Timeline

NLR - thanks again for that info. Ironically I work for one of the big Canadian banks - just not the ones you've referenced.

We have mobile banking, first of the big 5 to offer it, but no cross border accounts.

I may just leave my existing account open there and have money wired down to my BoA account as I need it. One of the advantages of having worked for this same company for 28 years is that I just have to phone one of my buddies and have them do it, no fancy hoops or paperwork to go through. And as I'm sadly not leaving Canada debt free (are ANY of us debt free?) The EI will give me a bridge to service my remaining debt up here and some cash while I get settled in and am looking for work.

I feel like things are going to start moving rather quickly now, so trying not to freak out about all the stuff I have to figure out before the big move.....

Peace to you.

:)

We are in a similar situation - husband has some debt in Canada and we will be using EI to make those payments from his Canadian account. Works out well with the exchange rate being the way it is. The EI will go further paying debt there than it would be paying bills here.

That is pretty sweet you have a super easy way of transferring money! We have done money transfers from RBC to Chase bank - super fast.

I know there are lots of things to get sorted before moving - I am finally feeling like we have everything in order. Whew! Just tackle all the things one at a time and soon enough it will all fall into place :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

I just kept my TD account, didn't bother with a cross border account. I use my TD debit with no problem here. I make my student loan payments using that account, & just kept money in it when I moved.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

Thanks Gwenstar and kc247 - of course I've had free banking for 28 years, courtesy my employer, so once I quit my job I have no reason to leave my accounts there. The RBC account looks really good as the US bank they connect with is the same as where my husband banks, so makes sense to me to move over to them. Will probably look into setting that up soon and start putting some money in it as a precursor to EI rolling in.

And yes, SO many things to consider - 53 years in Canada, and honestly, if I hadn't met my total soulmate, I never would have entertained a single thought of moving stateside. But, it's exciting and scary and wonderful, so here I go!!

On another note, does anyone know if there's a thread for us Canucks regarding moving companies?? I am going to be shipping using a moving company and would love to get some referrals....

Peace all. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got a phone call from a case worker who told me the copy of my EAD was not legible (originally faxed from FedEx store). So, I made a copy and signed up for HelloFax and sent another from my computer and again... not legible. I don't understand because all of my other docs (passport, marriage licence) turned out fine in the faxes.

Anyone else have this issue?!?! I'm trying again tomorrow from a third fax source... then I'll just have to mail it in (which I was warned will take extra time).

Just getting stressful because I've still got a mortgage in Canada that needs to be paid until I can find work!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Timeline

Got a phone call from a case worker who told me the copy of my EAD was not legible (originally faxed from FedEx store). So, I made a copy and signed up for HelloFax and sent another from my computer and again... not legible. I don't understand because all of my other docs (passport, marriage licence) turned out fine in the faxes.

Anyone else have this issue?!?! I'm trying again tomorrow from a third fax source... then I'll just have to mail it in (which I was warned will take extra time).

Just getting stressful because I've still got a mortgage in Canada that needs to be paid until I can find work!

Performed another scan-to-fax at home** and just lightened the image of my EAD and it worked! Finally... My EI case is complete!

**If anyone is looking for a way to fax documents at home - if you have a Gmail account you can sign up for HelloFax. New users get free outgoing faxes for 6 months. I used it to send 5 faxes today to 2 different Canadian Fax numbers without transmission issue! Highly recommended! Especially after spending $30 to send two faces from Fedex (one that was never received)

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

K1

10.22.13 Medical

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

Performed another scan-to-fax at home** and just lightened the image of my EAD and it worked! Finally... My EI case is complete!

**If anyone is looking for a way to fax documents at home - if you have a Gmail account you can sign up for HelloFax. New users get free outgoing faxes for 6 months. I used it to send 5 faxes today to 2 different Canadian Fax numbers without transmission issue! Highly recommended! Especially after spending $30 to send two faces from Fedex (one that was never received)

I faxed my EAD on Monday, my husband just got a call at work from a case worker asking me to call her back. Just tried but I think he gave me the wrong number! Just waiting for the right number now. I am assuming that is the problem since I just faxed it on Monday, if it is I will have to try that Gmail thing you are talking about! I faxed mine from stables, when I printed it it was very clear but who knows.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

Ok, im the USC and i had no idea my husband could receive EI after he came to the US. Our situation is a little different though. My husband is currently on EI due to the closure of the company he was employeed with. We expect our interview to be in August. Will he be able to continue with his current EI case once he moves or will he have to close this one and open a different one?

Timeline

Ok, im the USC and i had no idea my husband could receive EI after he came to the US. Our situation is a little different though. My husband is currently on EI due to the closure of the company he was employeed with. We expect our interview to be in August. Will he be able to continue with his current EI case once he moves or will he have to close this one and open a different one?

Sounds like that's worth a call to EI to discuss it.

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this!!

Any restrictions with EI when receiving benefits but traveling home to Canada?

Would you have to declare "not available for work"? During the time you were home? And would this affect benefits?

Thanks!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

K1

10.22.13 Medical

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.