ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all, I moved to Florida on k1, about to send in my aos, applied for Canada ui day after I got here, got the package in the mail, faxed in my documents, just got 3 more packages in the mail. First two are statements for money not collected, third is a statement decision that says k1 is not entitled to work, which is obvious and what I wrote in a statement to them. It says I have 30 days to appeal, but then there is a note statement that says please send your ead immediately upon receipt so they can review my availability. I won't have the card prob for two months yet probably,

what does everyone make of it? Thanks in advance

I got that letter as well. Freaked me out. Said something about cancelling my EI case?! I called and told them my circumstance (same as yours) and they said "That's fine, you just have to forward us your EAD and the Questionnaire and required documents".

I had faxed them ALL of that information months ago (minus EAD) and even called to confirm they had received it. The lady on the phone confirmed that she, personally, had just picked up my info off the fax machine. But alas... they "never received anything." Eyeroll.

In the end, they sent me another questionnaire and told me to forward everything to them AGAIN once I received my EAD. I should get it tomorrow or Saturday. I would still call them to just 'touch base' and let them know the nature of the letter you received and that you are still waiting on EAD approval.

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much...I interpreted the letter as you did but needed to make sure. Ill give them a call asap and hope they respond. I've left messages but never have gotten a call back.

Timeline

Ok new minor problem, in the letter I got I was told to call 1-800-206-7218 - which I've done. But, it's an endless loop of useless automated prompts. How do I talk to a live person? The number I usually call is the voicemail one at 1-877-486-1650 but they have NEVER phoned me back.

Timeline

UPDATE - woo hoo I got a call back. Turns out the reason they didn't call me back was that I use an ooma home phone and for some reason their phones don't like an internet based voip phone :P gave them my cell and all is good now. I apparently have to call every two weeks to tell them I can't work but would like to and then as soon as my EAD arrives fax it to them and I'm all set.

About a tonne of weight is off my shoulders.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

UPDATE - woo hoo I got a call back. Turns out the reason they didn't call me back was that I use an ooma home phone and for some reason their phones don't like an internet based voip phone :P gave them my cell and all is good now. I apparently have to call every two weeks to tell them I can't work but would like to and then as soon as my EAD arrives fax it to them and I'm all set.

About a tonne of weight is off my shoulders.

That is great news!

My canadian is moving here next month and we will navigating through this - thank you everyone for sharing your experiences

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Timeline

That is great news!

My canadian is moving here next month and we will navigating through this - thank you everyone for sharing your experiences

As a cr-1/ir-1....he can claim EI right away (if he has enough qualifying hrs), as he can work right away....

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

As a cr-1/ir-1....he can claim EI right away (if he has enough qualifying hrs), as he can work right away....

Oh yeah for sure - but whether someone is applying for EI right or after POE or waiting for the their EAD card, it is kind of the same process with getting all the right paperwork in and phoning in and all those things. Our cr-1 visa took forever, but yeah, at least when he gets here he can work/apply for EI. My husband had no idea that he would be elgible - I just happened across this forum a couple months ago and was like What?! Canada is an amazing country - unemployment even if you are moving to the states! Blew my mind. lol

s-event.png s-event.png

Case Complete 2014-03-21

POE 2014-06-21

Timeline

Oh yeah for sure - but whether someone is applying for EI right or after POE or waiting for the their EAD card, it is kind of the same process with getting all the right paperwork in and phoning in and all those things. Our cr-1 visa took forever, but yeah, at least when he gets here he can work/apply for EI. My husband had no idea that he would be elgible - I just happened across this forum a couple months ago and was like What?! Canada is an amazing country - unemployment even if you are moving to the states! Blew my mind. lol

No--as a cr-1--it already has work authorization...u won't be filing for EAD!! One he crosses the border into the USA and the Immigtarion dude at te POE endorses (activates) the visa..that acts as your temporary greencard until the actual card arrives! He can start work that day, thus be elgible for EI right away! Totally different for k1'ers--they have to wait for that EAD document.....So ensure he Applies right away...there is a 2 week period where he does not get any $$$ as thats sort of like a deductible.....Bt apply right away.....And he will have to send in certain documents.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

No--as a cr-1--it already has work authorization...u won't be filing for EAD!! One he crosses the border into the USA and the Immigtarion dude at te POE endorses (activates) the visa..that acts as your temporary greencard until the actual card arrives! He can start work that day, thus be elgible for EI right away! Totally different for k1'ers--they have to wait for that EAD document.....So ensure he Applies right away...there is a 2 week period where he does not get any $$$ as thats sort of like a deductible.....Bt apply right away.....And he will have to send in certain documents.

I know he has work authorization as soon as he enters the states - maybe I didn't word my earlier post very well oops! Anyhow, as soon as we get home and have access to send the required documents we will so it will kick in as soon as possible.

s-event.png s-event.png

Case Complete 2014-03-21

POE 2014-06-21

I got the same letter, after I got a letter of approval and how much money I would get. It said I couldn't get payment because I don't have EAD (obvs) and to forward them the EAD when I get that. I just assumed I wait till I get the EAD and fax a copy then and I will (hopefully) get EI payments then.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

So question - I will be entering with an IR1 visa. I assume I just apply for EI online as soon as I get into the US and am home with hubby. Do they send documents via email or snail mail?? I think they'll have my ROE electronically from my employer of 28 years, but are there documents that have to be printed off and mailed in when you apply online??

Just curious = so many things to get sorted out over the next few months before I finally move!

Peace all.

So question - I will be entering with an IR1 visa. I assume I just apply for EI online as soon as I get into the US and am home with hubby. Do they send documents via email or snail mail?? I think they'll have my ROE electronically from my employer of 28 years, but are there documents that have to be printed off and mailed in when you apply online??

Just curious = so many things to get sorted out over the next few months before I finally move!

Peace all.

Apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving job. I put down my US address.

They send everything via snail mail, but you can call to do the reports vs mailing them. You can check online for how much you're getting etc but calling or faxing the international office once you're in the USA is faster than snail mail.

They will end up needing a copy of your endorsed visa (I faxed it) and will send you a questionnaire

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok! So I faxed the Questionnaire, copies of the ID required and my EAD card on Monday. After calling/leaving a message with the GOV, I received a voicemail (because I NEVER get their call backs... ever haha) confirming that they received my docs and that I would be contacted by a case worker with my next steps.

Anyone know what these 'next steps' are. I tried login in to their online system to no avail - once again. I received a letter saying I was eligible for 36 (?) weeks of benefits but no $$ amount. So... what am I in for here?!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Just double checking with what I do when I get my EAD card, I got a notification it was in production, so do I just fax it to them and write my SIN number on the paper? Anything else I should fax with it? Also I am guessing my EAD will be in my married name and I have been applying for EI in my maiden name. Should I write my maiden name on the paper as well? Do I wait until they mail me? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure it goes well!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.