ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Thanks! I worked another job last year and have my ROE at home, I can get my parents to scan it and send it to me, or mail it to me. How do I get that to EI? Or should I just wait to do anything until they mail me?

Thanks for the help!

After they mail you, you can fax all the information they need to them.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wait until they mail you. If you're out of country you can't do anything via email or the website except find out when you'll be paid (and eventually getting your T4E for taxes.) You'll end up calling a number, leaving a message, and they will call you back to get your statements (or you can mail them but that takes longer.) They will have the ROE since they can grab it online.

Also because you're K1 you'll have to fax or mail them a copy of your EAD once you get it to start getting payments. I suggest faxing if you can. You can use Hello Fax with Google mail for free.

Thanks for the HelloFax tip! Will be using this from now on whenever I need to fax over documents. Cheers!

ROC
18-Jul-2016: I-751 mailed via USPS
21-Jul-2016: Received at California Lockbox
21-Jul-2016: I-797 Notice of Action
25-Jul-2016: Cheque cashed
DONE with AOS! Journey took 241 days from US entry to the day I received my Green Card. goofy.gif
AOS
27-Feb-2014: US Entry
28-Feb-2014: Married
28-Feb-2014: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent via UPS
03-Mar-2014: Applied for SSN
07-Mar-2014: UPS package received by USCIS
11-Mar-2014: Received SSN
11-Mar-2014: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
12-Mar-2014: Cheque cashed
20-Mar-2014: Biometrics appointment (04-Apr) letter received
21-Mar-2014: Successful early walk-in for biometrics
21-Apr-2014: EAD & AP approved (email & text)
24-Apr-2014: Email notice received re: combo card mailed to my address
28-Apr-2014: EAD/AP combo card received
17-Oct-2014: Green card approved
25-Oct-2014: Green card received

Timeline

My experience with EI

- Entered the US 12/26/13

- Both my jobs were terminating my employment Jan/17/14

- I applied online the third week in January & contacted the Interstate Claims number (left a message and was called later that day) to make sure they received my ROEs and knew I was K1 applicant. The guy on the line told me they hadn't received my ROEs yet, and that if I receive copies, that I should fax it to them. He also said they would mail out a Out-of-Country Questionnaire that I needed to complete and return within 10 business day

- Received Questionnaire 2/10

- I received typical EI stubs via snail mail to fill out. I never did (didn't make sense to as I still don't have EAD and cannot receive benefit anyway)

- Mess up with BOTH of my jobs. They BOTH did not terminate my employment until mid-February. One corrected my termination date to 1/17 (as requested) and the other put my termination date as my last day worked which was 12/22/13. Both just listed my reason for leaving as "Quit".

- I returned the questionnaire, along with requested proof of legal entry/presence in the US on 3/5... clearly not within 10 business days. I contacted the Interstate Claims office (again, left a message and they called me back) to confirm they received it & if my claim was still a-ok. The lady was great and got up to go get the fax while I was on hold - then she said yea, everything looked fine with my claim (didn't say anything about taking so long to get my ROEs/Questionnaire). She then said when I receive my EAD, to fax over a copy (along with a copy of our marriage certificate as my EAD will have my married name) and that should complete the claim.

Now I wait... should be another 6-8weeks for my EAD. I mean, I suppose the claim could be rejected (not sure why it would). Sounds like the most important part of the process is to make sure to start a claim (whether online or otherwise) right after you terminate your employment. Timing after that doesn't really matter.

Although, the first gentleman explained to me that the max benefit out-of-country Canadians can receive is 9, instead of 12 months. And that you can only collect for the 12 months immediately following your EI claim date. So, as far as I understood... Because I claimed in Jan/14, but I won't get my EAD until (likely) May/14, I may not get all 9 months as my 12 month window will expire before the end of my benefits. This is incentive to file your AOS (for K1ers) very soon after you enter/marry or you may lose out on some EI time.

So far... rather smooth with EI.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This really helped when figuring out my own experience as laid out below.

• 26Feb2014 - last day of work
  • 26Feb2014 - work submitted my ROE online
  • 27Feb2014 - US entry
  • 28Feb2014 - last day for which paid
  • 28Feb2014 - wedding
  • 28Feb2014 - applied for EI online
  • 28Feb2014 - AOS, EAD, AP sent
  • 04Mar2014 - received questionnaire and EI access code
  • 05Mar2014 - mailed back questionnaire along with a copy of my passport and K-1 visa
  • 10Mar2014 - EI stubs received via snail mail (set aside for now)
  • 12Mar2014 - sent Service Canada a letter to request another access code as the one I received did not work

From my understanding, my next course of action is to send Service Canada my marriage certificate and EAD as soon as I receive it in order to start receiving benefits.

ROC
DONE with AOS! Journey took 241 days from US entry to the day I received my Green Card. goofy.gif
AOS

I am already confused with all this haha..ugh.. I got a letter from EI and it had my access code, and 2 slips of paper with questions on it? I tried to make a my service canada account...which I need to access one of my ROEs..and it says my information doesn't match with what they have..I tried a few times then it locked me out of the system. I guess I'll have to call them. The slips of papers are from 2 weeks asking if I worked or how many hours, if I was capable of work..etc. Obvs all the answers will be no on them. But that is the only questions they sent me. On top of all this one of my paper ROEs from a job I worked for a short amount of time was left at home and my parents can't find it... now Í'm going to have to contact my boss from that company to see about a copy.. will be glad to have this all done with!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just received two more EI forms to fill out (hours worked during the specified two-week period)... I have no received my EAD as of yet.

Am I required to fill these out and return them? I mean... they know I cannot receive benefits yet, do I need to confirm that I am not working when I can't work in the first place?

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Yes you should confirm that you're not working. I would call them vs filling out the forms. It's much faster. You have to leave a message and they call you back but that is your best bet.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 4 weeks later...

Well good news I think I am approved for it..I got a questionaire in the mail asking me about EAD and whatnot, and I sent it back and just got a letter today saying I am able to get payments for 38 weeks. So I am assuming once I fax my EAD when I get it (soon hopefully!) my payments will start?? It would be so nice to have some money coming in if I am unable to find a job right away!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

Timeline

Well good news I think I am approved for it..I got a questionaire in the mail asking me about EAD and whatnot, and I sent it back and just got a letter today saying I am able to get payments for 38 weeks. So I am assuming once I fax my EAD when I get it (soon hopefully!) my payments will start?? It would be so nice to have some money coming in if I am unable to find a job right away!

Congrats! :dancing:

If I'm not mistaken, there's a two-week waiting period before you start receiving EI benefits. I think Service Canada refers to it as "a deductible similar to most insurance policies."

When did you get the EAD questionnaire? And I'm curious about the letter that you got today. I think we have the same timeline but I haven't received a letter discussing payments for a certain number of weeks. The only letter I've received so far was the initial questionnaire about US status, date of entry, EAD, etc.

ROC
AOS

Congrats! :dancing:

If I'm not mistaken, there's a two-week waiting period before you start receiving EI benefits. I think Service Canada refers to it as "a deductible similar to most insurance policies."

When did you get the EAD questionnaire? And I'm curious about the letter that you got today. I think we have the same timeline but I haven't received a letter discussing payments for a certain number of weeks. The only letter I've received so far was the initial questionnaire about US status, date of entry, EAD, etc.

I got the questionnaire around the end of March I think, the letter I got today said April 7th on it. It just said they reviewed the ROE I submitted, & that my weekly benefit rate has changed (I was working 2 jobs last year at one point) to 38 weeks, and said my weekly benefit rate. That's about all it said. I am hoping it means I am approved.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay!!! We are gonna be applying for that for my husband when he gets here - he will eligible as soon as he gets in the states, but I do remember that it mentions that there is a 2 week waiting period.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm planning my POE in June. I have my interview next week. I'm starting to think and plan about the next phase... assuming I'm approved. AOS and all that stuff. I know I won't be able to be eligible for EI until I get my EAD, which I will be applying for ASAP. My fiance and I will do a quick court wedding days after my POE and plan our wedding for the following year.

For EI, I have so many questions. I have never in my life applied or even looked into EI, even though I pay into it. How do they calculate what you should be able to earn? Are the only requirement is that you are approved for EAD and you can send them that confirmation?

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

They do the calculations etc... don't worry about that. It's based on how many hours you've worked in the last year. You must still apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving your job, but you won't receive any money until you get the EAD. I suggest faxing everything once you get to the USA (you can't do anything online besides apply, and you can do that before you move) and then you make calls, they call you back, and give your report (have you looked for a job? etc...) You can mail in the reports but it takes a great deal longer to get paid.

Edited by NLR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They do the calculations etc... don't worry about that. It's based on how many hours you've worked in the last year. You must still apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving your job, but you won't receive any money until you get the EAD. I suggest faxing everything once you get to the USA (you can't do anything online besides apply, and you can do that before you move) and then you make calls, they call you back, and give your report (have you looked for a job? etc...) You can mail in the reports but it takes a great deal longer to get paid.

Thanks! I'll definitely do it within the first 2 weeks. I've definitely worked a standard 40 hours (usually doing overtime that doesn't get counted since I'm salaried) a week for the last 5 years! lol

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm glad I found this thread!!

I was unaware of the whole EI benefits after you leave the country.

I just filed today. I left work in Aug 2013 so, I could see my fiance and stay there for longer visits (months at a time). I told work I was going to school so, I knew I wouldn't be eligible for EI anyways and never bothered with it.

But we ended up getting pregnant and I am due in June. I'm back in Canada now, waiting for my passport to arrive, hopefully it should be here any day. I called to assure that I was eligible even though I am moving and they said I can apply.

I applied here in Canada and I am dropping my ROE off at the office today. Will I have any problems in the next few weeks when I leave? Everything is connected to my Canadian account as well, I was just going to paypal everything over to our US account.

I see that there is a 25% tax, she never mentioned anything about that to me. If someone can chime in and enlighten me about the subject a little and taxs that are being deducted, I would really appreciate it!

Also what happens when tax return time comes around? I spoke to my accountant and she said just to call when it's time? And she informed me to stop HST cheques through Service Ontario. Any other tips on that subject?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all, I moved to Florida on k1, about to send in my aos, applied for Canada ui day after I got here, got the package in the mail, faxed in my documents, just got 3 more packages in the mail. First two are statements for money not collected, third is a statement decision that says k1 is not entitled to work, which is obvious and what I wrote in a statement to them. It says I have 30 days to appeal, but then there is a note statement that says please send your ead immediately upon receipt so they can review my availability. I won't have the card prob for two months yet probably,

what does everyone make of it? Thanks in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.