ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, I had no idea that we canucks could do this! I moved at the end of September, and we got married November 2nd. Am I too late to apply? I worked until the week before I moved (in Canada).

Mark

Doesn't hurt to try!! And as a k1--its not as if you can collect it right now anyway--until u get ur EAD!! All they can do is say no---and even then u can redress it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

You can redress it? What does that mean?

If they initailly deny you.....you can appeal it.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

i came to the USA in Sept, applied in like October and was never "formally" denied. They still send me the reports every week, but I get a zero payment. I have not got my EAD yet. I have no idea what is going on. I sent them a copy of the EAD application. They told me they would let me know by Dec 22nd what was going on and I have heard nothing. I find it very confusing.

♥ Our K-1 Journey ♥
11/24/2012 - I-129F submitted via UPS (Vermont Service Center)
11/27/2012 - NOA1

06/05/2013- NOA2

06/10/2013-NVC received our case

06/14/2013-MTL case number assigned

06/17/2013-Case sent to Montreal

06/19/2013-Logged at Montreal

06/21/2013-Packet 3 sent out

06/27/2013- Packet 4 sent out

08/30/2013- Interview Montreal
09/09/2013-POE- Grand Portage, MN.

09/10/2013-at home in Kentucky

10/12/2013- we are MARRIED!

♥ Our AOS Journey ♥

11/21/2013 - submitted via USPS

11/27/2013-NOA1

12/23/2013-Biometrics appt. Louisville

01/24/2014-EAD/AP approved (65 days)

01/30/2014-EAD/AP mailed out, USPS 2 day tracking number assigned

02/01/2014-EAD/AP combo card arrived in the mail

03/04/2014- Used Advance Parole document to re-enter after a visit to Canada (without any issues)!

03/09/2014- checked USCIS website and saw update saying "Card/Document production" for I-485

03/13/2014-AOS approved. Received Welcome Letter (i-797)

03/17/2014-Green Card arrived in the mail

♥ Our ROC Journey ♥

12/17/2015-Mailed pkg. via USPS
12/22/2015 -NOA1

1/21/2016-Biometrics appt. Louisville

9/8/2016- INFOPass appt for I-551 stamp

3/3/2017-Filed online service request

3/3/2017- ROC approved. (Online status never changed)

3/9/2017- Rec'd approval letter in mail. 

3/21/2017- Text and emails stating card was mailed out

3/24/2017- Rec'd Greencard in the mail

The sun sets on this ocean, never once on my devotion - Eddie Vedder

Timeline

as a K1--you can NOT get EI until you can legally work---Just applying does not count, you have to be APPROVED for the EAD. 1 benefit of the CR-1/Ir-1, is that 1 can legally work right away.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I am confused. Can my husband get EI after we move? We will be moving to the US, I am being laid off from work and seeking new employment in the US he will be quitting his job to follow my new job.

Depends:

Is he the Cdn citizen? Will he have enough qualifying work hours to claim EI? You say husband, so I'm guessing a cr-1/ir-1 and if thats the case he could get Cdn Ei right from the start (k1'ers have to wait until they get work authorization)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone! So I was approved on Thursday. How do I get a waybill? My passport and visa is going to Regina loonies branch but how do I get a waybill and know when to pick it up?

Thanx! :)

as a K1--you can NOT get EI until you can legally work---Just applying does not count, you have to be APPROVED for the EAD. 1 benefit of the CR-1/Ir-1, is that 1 can legally work right away.

Will a K1 receive EI after EAD is approved (after 3 months or whatever)? Or how does this all work for a Canadian moving to the USA on a fiance VISA? I honestly didn't even know this was an option until browsing these forums.

I am planning on moving this summer - I am a teacher here in Canada.

Timeline

Will a K1 receive EI after EAD is approved (after 3 months or whatever)? Or how does this all work for a Canadian moving to the USA on a fiance VISA? I honestly didn't even know this was an option until browsing these forums.

I am planning on moving this summer - I am a teacher here in Canada.

Go back a few pages and read and u will find more info. Yes a k1 will get Ei once they get their EAD! One still has to apply ASAP once they are in the USA, but won't receive any $$$ until they get Work authorization

Edited by Flames9_RN

I am a bit confused about this.. I did the online application for EI yesterday. I don't have my ROE from my last job yet, they told me I had to get it online. I went on the service Canada site and tried to make a my service canada account, & it said I needed some sort of code to make an account, which I don't have, then I read some more and it seemed like I got a code...after I apply for EI? So I did the application & for the ROE section I said I would add it later. I haven't received any sort of email from them with any code? Or any confirmation they got my application? Do I just wait?

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

I literally just thought about this today....I am stoked to find this thread!!! Thanks everyone :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

I am a bit confused about this.. I did the online application for EI yesterday. I don't have my ROE from my last job yet, they told me I had to get it online. I went on the service Canada site and tried to make a my service canada account, & it said I needed some sort of code to make an account, which I don't have, then I read some more and it seemed like I got a code...after I apply for EI? So I did the application & for the ROE section I said I would add it later. I haven't received any sort of email from them with any code? Or any confirmation they got my application? Do I just wait?

Just wait until they mail you. If you're out of country you can't do anything via email or the website except find out when you'll be paid (and eventually getting your T4E for taxes.) You'll end up calling a number, leaving a message, and they will call you back to get your statements (or you can mail them but that takes longer.) They will have the ROE since they can grab it online.

Also because you're K1 you'll have to fax or mail them a copy of your EAD once you get it to start getting payments. I suggest faxing if you can. You can use Hello Fax with Google mail for free.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My experience with EI

- Entered the US 12/26/13

- Both my jobs were terminating my employment Jan/17/14

- I applied online the third week in January & contacted the Interstate Claims number (left a message and was called later that day) to make sure they received my ROEs and knew I was K1 applicant. The guy on the line told me they hadn't received my ROEs yet, and that if I receive copies, that I should fax it to them. He also said they would mail out a Out-of-Country Questionnaire that I needed to complete and return within 10 business day

- Received Questionnaire 2/10

- I received typical EI stubs via snail mail to fill out. I never did (didn't make sense to as I still don't have EAD and cannot receive benefit anyway)

- Mess up with BOTH of my jobs. They BOTH did not terminate my employment until mid-February. One corrected my termination date to 1/17 (as requested) and the other put my termination date as my last day worked which was 12/22/13. Both just listed my reason for leaving as "Quit".

- I returned the questionnaire, along with requested proof of legal entry/presence in the US on 3/5... clearly not within 10 business days. I contacted the Interstate Claims office (again, left a message and they called me back) to confirm they received it & if my claim was still a-ok. The lady was great and got up to go get the fax while I was on hold - then she said yea, everything looked fine with my claim (didn't say anything about taking so long to get my ROEs/Questionnaire). She then said when I receive my EAD, to fax over a copy (along with a copy of our marriage certificate as my EAD will have my married name) and that should complete the claim.

Now I wait... should be another 6-8weeks for my EAD. I mean, I suppose the claim could be rejected (not sure why it would). Sounds like the most important part of the process is to make sure to start a claim (whether online or otherwise) right after you terminate your employment. Timing after that doesn't really matter.

Although, the first gentleman explained to me that the max benefit out-of-country Canadians can receive is 9, instead of 12 months. And that you can only collect for the 12 months immediately following your EI claim date. So, as far as I understood... Because I claimed in Jan/14, but I won't get my EAD until (likely) May/14, I may not get all 9 months as my 12 month window will expire before the end of my benefits. This is incentive to file your AOS (for K1ers) very soon after you enter/marry or you may lose out on some EI time.

So far... rather smooth with EI.

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Just wait until they mail you. If you're out of country you can't do anything via email or the website except find out when you'll be paid (and eventually getting your T4E for taxes.) You'll end up calling a number, leaving a message, and they will call you back to get your statements (or you can mail them but that takes longer.) They will have the ROE since they can grab it online.

Also because you're K1 you'll have to fax or mail them a copy of your EAD once you get it to start getting payments. I suggest faxing if you can. You can use Hello Fax with Google mail for free.

Thanks! I worked another job last year and have my ROE at home, I can get my parents to scan it and send it to me, or mail it to me. How do I get that to EI? Or should I just wait to do anything until they mail me?

Thanks for the help!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.