ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Hello Flames,

Thank you for the information you provided. I had found the guide you provided before but was having a hard time trying to figure out which category I was. I have reread it and thank you again for the help.

Thank you.

You are IR1/CR1. The only difference between the two is one is an immediate relative which grants a 10 yr green card to spouses who have been married 2 or more years upon entry and the other is a conditional relative 2 year green card that needs removal of conditions to be filed 90 days before the 2 year expiry date.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience with EI since I moved to the USA for anyone who has any questions about the process of getting EI:

1) Came to the USA last August 24, 2012 on an IR1 Visa - temporary Green Card was stamped in my passport and I received my Social Security Number card a little over a week after arriving here.

2) Applied for EI online on August 25th.

3) A couple weeks later I received a letter and questionnaire from EI with instructions on next steps. Once I received my SSN, I faxed my ROE (stating 'Quit To Relocate To Be With Spouse in the USA' for reason for quitting my job), a copy of my SSN, green card, etc. to the EI Interstate Office in Kingston, ON.

4) On September 21, 2012 I called the EI Interstate office to find out if a decision was made and I was informed that I was approved for 36 weeks of EI benefits effective September 9th.

5) Received my 1st EI payment on September 24th, exactly 1 month after moving here.

All in all a very positive experience with EI. I had to call in every 2nd Friday (always called early in the morning), leave a message on their voicemail with my SIN, telephone # and message that I was calling in my 2-week report, and I usually received a call back by 2:00 p.m. I'd do my report over the phone and my money would be in my Canadian bank account by Tuesday.

I had my ROE send to me and it was just "quit" written on it. there was an E but as it's a photocopy or print out and not the actual ROE, I can't see what E means. .... looked it up on an old one and it's just quit. I TOLD THEM i dunno how many times I needed it to say what I said!!

FFS

this better not screw me over.... if I have to I'll send a photocopy or email a scan of my visa in my passport to show why I quit.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My ROE from the Air Force didnt say anything on it, and it worked for me.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

mmk... I guess I will have to wait out the 28 days anyhow to get my access code. I wanted to update the banking information but can't without that code. When I filled out I put my US address so everything should be sent here I assume?

Timeline

I think you'll still be approved with just 'Quit' on it. They should know the reason you quit is to move to be with your spouse. If they do deny it because of that reason (which I highly doubt will happen) you could appeal. You can always call them too to find out if you've been approved. I was getting anxious just waiting around wondering if I'd be approved and so I called them just over 3 weeks after I applied and they were able to tell me I was approved. Good luck!

I think you'll still be approved with just 'Quit' on it. They should know the reason you quit is to move to be with your spouse. If they do deny it because of that reason (which I highly doubt will happen) you could appeal. You can always call them too to find out if you've been approved. I was getting anxious just waiting around wondering if I'd be approved and so I called them just over 3 weeks after I applied and they were able to tell me I was approved. Good luck!

I am hoping so because when you fill out the forms online you have to put previous addresses and I put down my US address even though I hadn't moved yet. I made sure to be descriptive when I put down quit to follow spouse. Technically I'm not following my spouse because he didn't move when I did, but I did to follow to where he was located...

I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much yet as it's only been a few weeks since I applied. I am just anxious, but also a little bored as I decided to stay home for the summer.

Quick question!

On the form EI send me, It has the question: Have you applied for Permanent Residence (Green Card)?

Yes - I applied on ____ & will forward a copy as soon as possible

Yes - Copy attached. Valid ______ and Expires on ________

I know my endorsed visa acts as a Green card but I'm unsure of how to answer this question as I don't yet have my actual green card, but the date applied on doesn't really apply either unless you go from my POE date?

Timeline

Coppy attached---the I-551 stamp in ur passport--with the ink stamp by the POE officer acts as your "green card" for lack of more legal terms. Copy(scan) and include that. And Prob should go from POE date as that was thew date it was endorsed and you moved to the USA and thats the date the "green card" going to expire on a few yrs down the road

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My EI agent told me they can't. He told me to hang on to my Canadian account.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

mmk well I talked to them, gave them my first report. Guy said that it was faster to do the calls vs mail in reports. I guess it's approved so they'll send me another letter with the information for me.

I gave them my RBC account so that I can transfer the money to US RBC.. :)

Timeline

I'm sure your approved..........In my case I did receive the IE cards, thought al was well...and they denied my application at first (I was in the Cdn Air force) they gave me some reason--I appealed and won

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello everyone,

I came to US in K1 Visa on may 2. I know i am entitle for a EI. I quit my job on April 26. Can I still apply?

K1 Visa.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-26

Interview Date : 2013-03-04

Visa Received : 2013-03-11

US Entry : 2013-05-02

Marriage : 2013-05-13

EAD/AP

May 24.2013 (Day 1 ) Mailed may 24, 2013

May 28 .2013(Day 4 ) Recieved: may 28 and 30, 2013( AOS,AP,EAD online and text)

June 27.2013(Day 34 ) Biometric: june 27 walked in ,(scheduled july 2.)

July 26.2013 (Day 58 ) EAD/AP approved Card in Production (july 26)

August 3.2013(Day 65 ) EAD/AP card recieved ( aug 3)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.