ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just applied, I didn't know how to apply really though, as I've never done it before. I put my Canadian address, as you could not put a US address. This is confusing, I don't understand it at all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just applied, I didn't know how to apply really though, as I've never done it before. I put my Canadian address, as you could not put a US address. This is confusing, I don't understand it at all.

Was back in 2005 when I applied, so things prob have changed, and my memory sucks,lol I recall calling the International dept and they emailed me a link.....And In that email it gave me instructions on how to fill out the online form!! But Like I stated, things have prob changed....sorry

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I was in this same situation of thinking that I was going to get the full 36 weeks of pay. It is indeed true that they start counting your weeks when you apply for EI, but they don't pay you until your EAD is approved. I ended up only getting a couple months worth of payments because it took so long for my EAD to be approved.

My advice to everyone that has been approved for EI is to log in to their Service Canada account and check the info provided there. As soon as I faxed them my EAD and was approved, they updated the info including how much I was to be paid, and the date that my EI ran out was clearly stated there.

Note: When I called them to ask how many weeks I had left, they quoted me the amount BEGINNING when my EAD was approved. This was NOT TRUE. I asked again and mentioned that online it said it runs out much sooner. They double checked and told me I was actually correct! (unfortunately!)

Wish I knew this when I applied so that I could estimate the real amount of weeks I would get paid. But at least I planned ahead and had a job lined up for when my EI really ran out!

So I'm confused, my EI apparently ran out today but it's 8 weeks short of the 36 weeks they told me it would last for. I'm short 8 weeks. I read somewhere in this thread some people were losing benefits weeks because they started counting your benefits weeks when your case gets approved and if you don't have your EAD yet while your EI case is approved then you just don't get paid for those weeks. My EAD took a while for approval (4 months total, approx 3 months after I applied for EI), is this why I'm losing some weeks of benefits? This kind of throws me for a loop because I was initially told 36 weeks when I started getting paid. When I asked how much longer I had, I was told beginning of January (4 weeks short). Now I'm pretty much out all of a sudden. What's going on?

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-26
Interview Date : 2011-12-16 - approved!!
---------------------------------------
POE Niagara Falls : 2012-01-01
Married in our house, Winthrop, MA : 2012-03-04
AOS/AP/EAD sent : 2012-05-10
AOS approved : 2013-03-29

Removal of Conditions approved: 2016-01-15

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was in this same situation of thinking that I was going to get the full 36 weeks of pay. It is indeed true that they start counting your weeks when you apply for EI, but they don't pay you until your EAD is approved. I ended up only getting a couple months worth of payments because it took so long for my EAD to be approved.

My advice to everyone that has been approved for EI is to log in to their Service Canada account and check the info provided there. As soon as I faxed them my EAD and was approved, they updated the info including how much I was to be paid, and the date that my EI ran out was clearly stated there.

Note: When I called them to ask how many weeks I had left, they quoted me the amount BEGINNING when my EAD was approved. This was NOT TRUE. I asked again and mentioned that online it said it runs out much sooner. They double checked and told me I was actually correct! (unfortunately!)

Wish I knew this when I applied so that I could estimate the real amount of weeks I would get paid. But at least I planned ahead and had a job lined up for when my EI really ran out!

Thanks for sharing your story, Holly&Frank. I wasn't able to get online for the duration of my claim. The system kept telling me I had no case file in there so I had to just rely on what they were telling me over the phone. Thankfully, I finally found work a couple of months after EI ran out. Does anyone know when I can expect them to send our tax sheets for 2012?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So what is their explanation as to why you got only X amount of weeks? I'm curious because I'll be applying for EI also. Do I apply before I leave Canada, or is it best to wait til I enter the USA. Will I get less weeks if I choose a certain option?

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

So what is their explanation as to why you got only X amount of weeks? I'm curious because I'll be applying for EI also. Do I apply before I leave Canada, or is it best to wait til I enter the USA. Will I get less weeks if I choose a certain option?

The rule is that you have to apply within 4 weeks from your last day worked. It's up to you when/from where you want to apply, but better safe than sorry because it's not the easiest system to deal with. I left my job in Canada and then two weeks later was in the U.S. so I applied as soon as I got to Boston. I'm pretty sure you can apply from wherever, just make sure to update your mailing address when you move... and I think they ask you the address that you're going to be living at in the States. As long as you know that, you're ok.

***They start counting your weeks as soon as you apply. This doesn't mean you get paid for these weeks. If you're not legal to work (aka, don't have your EAD), you won't get paid until you show them proof of your EAD when you get it.***

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-26
Interview Date : 2011-12-16 - approved!!
POE Niagara Falls : 2012-01-01
Married in our house, Winthrop, MA : 2012-03-04
AOS/AP/EAD sent : 2012-05-10
AOS approved : 2013-03-29

Removal of Conditions approved: 2016-01-15

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

You have no idea how much of a releif it is to know I can get EI once I have EAD. I had no idea it was possible. I know it will be a wait but atleast I will know it is there.

K1 - Complete
05/01/2011 - Met online
09/15/2011 - Met in person
11/12/2011 - Became engaged
07/09/2012 - Finally got to put His Ring on my finger
02/04/2013 - Mailed off my documents to my fiance
02/13/2013 - Fiance received my documents
03/30/2013 - I-129F sent
04/05/2013 - NOA 1
07/10/2013 - File Transferred to Texas
07/24/2013 - NOA 2
08/23/2013 - USCIS-NVC - Case number received
08/27/2013 - NVC-Consulate
09/03/2013 - Packet 3
09/04/2013 - Packet 4
09/10/2013 - Medical (Passed)
09/12/2013 - Interview (Approved)
09/17/2013 - Visa in hand
11/02/2013 - Border crossing at Sweetgrass completed
11/05/2013 - Arrived in San Antonio
11/16/2013 - Married in San Antonio

Adjustment of Status

04/25/2014 - AOS packaged mailed to Chicago Lock Box.

05/15/2014 - NoA1 received for Aos and EA. AP rejected.

06/16/2014 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/2014 - EA card now in production.

07/10/2014 - EA Card received. YAY JOB HUNTING

08/13/2014 - Letter received staging possible interview waiver and no action for antoher 6 months

03/03/2015 - Apparently we are still within normal processing times and need to wait 87 days

04/27/2015 - RFE - Renew medical, Send some other documents

05/04/2015 - Medical redone

05/07/2015 - RFE request sent back to USCIS

05/08/2015 - RFE request received at USCIS

05/11/2015 - Green card IN PRODUCTION!!!!

05/11/2015 - Welcome letter Mailed!

05/14/2015 - Welcome Letter Received

05/18/2015 - Green Card Received!! FINALLY!!!!

Timeline

I'm hoping that there is someone who knows a lot more about this than I do on here! :)

My husband CDN citizen has been issued his green card and has his social security card - we have them both in hand. We've been stalling on actually making out move since he hasn't been able to find work down there, but time is ticking and we now need to move or risk losing the green card. My question is if we are moving as a family(we have a 1 year old daughter) is he still eligible for EI? I read that the reason code that makes you eligible for this was family reunification, but if we are all living together in Canada and making the move to the USA does it count? Do we need to move myself and our daughter down a couple of weeks before him just so that it is for family reunification? I have not been working since our daughter was born, so I know there is no EI for me.

Also any pointers on exactly what to tell the HR department at his work as far as the ROE goes? I've been trying to read through this thread diligently, but it is REALLY long!!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi everyone, two questions:

1. I'm a little confused as to when I should start applying for EI? I know i'm really early but I'd rather get everything ready to go. We are still waiting for case complete and my interview date. My husband and I are both living in Canada ATM, but once I get approval we plan on moving within a month or so from approval date.

2. Can both myself AND my husband apply for EI? He is the USC and has been living in Canada as a PR for 1 1/2 years and has been working full-time since he's been here.

Many thanks!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I am the BENEFICIARY

May 08: Met online via PS3/Call of Duty Multiplayer game; began chatting and playing regularly.
06/10/09: We become a couple <3
11/06/10: Engaged!!! (Technically we've been engaged for months, but he never had a chance to put a ring on me until Nov 6)
10/10/10: Married in Toronto!
03/2011: Filed for hubby's Canadian Permanent Residence.
10/11: Hubby's PR approved and moved to Toronto! (He just didn't like living here)

I-130
12/15/12: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
12/21/12: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to NBC
01/29/13: Received NOA2 via email (40 days since filing I-130)

NVC - ELECTRONIC PROCESSING FROM CANADA
02/06/2013: NVC Received
02/25/2013: Received IIN and BIN numbers
03/05/2013: Received Opt-in Confirmation email
03/26/2013: Received DS-260 / I-864 Bill
03/26/2013: Pay I-864 Bill
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed I-864
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-261
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-260
03/26/2013: Receive IV Bill
03/26/2013: IV Bill PAID
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed IV Packet
04/17/2013: AOS RFE Received sad.png
04/17/2013: Return RFE
04/30/2013: Case Completed at NVC

POST NVC

05/27/2013: Medical

06/17/2013: Interview/APPROVED!!!

06/19/2013: Visa ready for Pickup

xx/xx/xxxx: POE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you should still be able to collect until your end date.

I have to look into this as well.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/outside_canada.shtml#file

There’s a 1-800 number in their for the non-Canadian resident people. They’d be the best ones to ask.

Timeline

I was laid off and am collecting EI. I will still be on EI when I get my visa. Will I still be able to collect it after I move to the U.S.?

You might temporarily not get benefits as part of the requirements to receiving EI is that you are ready and able to work. Unless you have a work permit right away then you are not able to work and therefore are ineligible for benefits until you receive your EAD.

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

Timeline

You might temporarily not get benefits as part of the requirements to receiving EI is that you are ready and able to work. Unless you have a work permit right away then you are not able to work and therefore are ineligible for benefits until you receive your EAD.

She is a cr-1/ir-1----Which for lack of better terms--already is work eligible right from day one--unlike the k1'ers.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

She is a cr-1/ir-1----Which for lack of better terms--already is work eligible right from day one--unlike the k1'ers.

My apologies, thank you for correcting me...nothing like misinformation being thrown about.

as an aside, and an update,

I applied for EI just before leaving Canada on April 1st. EI now has (after a bit of a struggle) all my ROE's so now I just wait for my work permit to come through ( I just sent off my application yesterday, so I'm looking at probably at least a 2 month wait). Brad said it was no problem, and just to fax it to them as soon as it arrives. Even though you have to call and leave a voicemail, they always get back to me the same day, often within the hour and have been super helpful.

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

Quick question.

Should I apply from within Canada or wait until I'm in the USA?

Last day of work is the 24th. Last pay cheque from them will be the 30th. Interview is the 3rd, passport back by the 7th, I hope and moving by the 10th or so. I have to get an inspection done on my appt before I go otherwise I don't get my damage deposit back. They way I see, from last day of work to 4 weeks after is the 21st.

So I should have until the 21st to apply for EI? Or would be be counted from my last pay cheque? I would think that would probably when they'll send the ROE. I know my ROE from Zellers is in there electronically,

I was trying to figure out hours and I haven't not been working from April 2006 to now. I'd assume I'd get the full benefits and time. I'm just unsure how much the benefits will be.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.