The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, she should be calling!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hey Rob and Mel!

YES, she should be calling! You have to call these guys are they'll just let your file fall to the wayside and then you have to go through the whole thing again. Get her to call ASAP. I call them once every two weeks at least as like I said, they really aren't great about sending the cards and stuff.

Get her to call, man... the sooner she does the sooner she'll see some cash in her account. You can see your file online but they cannot process out of state claim cards on line, you have to do these in hard copy or over the phone. The only thing you can do online is see your account and when cards are due and stuff like that.

PM me if you need a hand.

Good luck. Get Mel to call.

How long does it take to evaluate a case? Mel applied for EI over 2 months ago and received some paperwork and we sent back the requested info and a copy of her greencard. We still have not heard back anything in over 2 months. I keep telling her to call, but she tells me that it's done all online and we just have to wait. So I guess my question is, is 2 months a typical timeframe for them to decide on someone's claim? Is it all done online, or can you call a number to inquire about your status to get better information?

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Hurray! My EAD card arrived today! I am ecstatic! Just to verify, I just need to send them a copy of the front of my card, and a copy of my marriage certificate (to show name change, since EI is in my maiden name)... correct? I've already sent them everything else, like the I-94 and visa and what not.

How did you guys send it? Did you email? Or fax? Or snail mail?

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I faxed mine.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Timeline

I scanned and sent Donna a secured PDF.

she'll allow you to send your documents but is VERY clear about not using her email for anything else.

Congrats, Ashen, seems things are falling into place and that rocks.

Hurray! My EAD card arrived today! I am ecstatic! Just to verify, I just need to send them a copy of the front of my card, and a copy of my marriage certificate (to show name change, since EI is in my maiden name)... correct? I've already sent them everything else, like the I-94 and visa and what not.

How did you guys send it? Did you email? Or fax? Or snail mail?

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

I scanned and sent Donna a secured PDF.

she'll allow you to send your documents but is VERY clear about not using her email for anything else.

Congrats, Ashen, seems things are falling into place and that rocks.

Thanks LGG. :) Did you just give her the PDF password in the email or something? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to figure out the best (and fastest) way to do this. lol

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

I think I told her what the password for the PDFs were over the phone. I'm pretty sure anyway... as sdw said, you can fax the information over too...

:)

Thanks LGG. :) Did you just give her the PDF password in the email or something? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to figure out the best (and fastest) way to do this. lol

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

I think I told her what the password for the PDFs were over the phone. I'm pretty sure anyway... as sdw said, you can fax the information over too...

:)

Thanks :) I don't like faxing... lol! I'm going to try to call them today... Hopefully I can get through to someone! I'm so nervous for some reason. lol

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks :) I don't like faxing... lol! I'm going to try to call them today... Hopefully I can get through to someone! I'm so nervous for some reason. lol

Wouldn't faxing be faster in the end...I understand your concern, but you're faxing to a government office....no one there hasn't seen your Social before :) or couldn't find it out if they wanted to.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Wouldn't faxing be faster in the end...I understand your concern, but you're faxing to a government office....no one there hasn't seen your Social before :) or couldn't find it out if they wanted to.

It's taken care of. Last Monday I called them to verify everything, and emailed them the documents. Everything is fine, and right now I'm in my '2 week waiting period' and hopefully will start getting some payments next month! :)

I still just really don't like faxing. It wasn't my social I was sending. It was my marriage certificate and my EAD card with all that relevant info (and back in Jan it was my visa and passport). I don't really care that it's a government office. There are still stupid ppl there, lol... and I'd rather have someone have to log in with a password to access the email, rather than anyone just pick up a piece of paper off the floor.

Also, I don't have a fax machine anyways... and I know there are ways to do it online, but then you just subject yourself to more possible interference.

:ot: LOL

Anyways.... apparently it's personal preference, but I will never fax anything as important as personal documents and ID cards, no matter who I send them to.

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I have to say I am glad my fiance' had a whole day to deal with EI.

The office manager had been sick last week, so first my fiance' had to go back to his place of employment to get his Record of Employment. Thankfully the office manager was back in the office and she was able to prepare the ROE for him quickly.

He said in the previous times he had applied for EI (some 10 years ago) that a person had sat down with him and that person filled out the "forms" for him, but this time he was pointed to a kiosk to fill out the forms on the computer.

Well, the computer wouldn't take a U.S. address. The EI office person said, "Well, what are you doing applying for EI if you won't be in Canada?" My fiance' then told the EI office person about the fact that a Canadian can claim EI if the Canadian is residing in the states. The EI office person then conceded that yes, EI benefits could be claimed while residing in the U.S. but told my fiance' he would have to call a number to get his address as a U.S. address.

My fiance' went back to his now empty apartment to use his phone which was still in service luckily and spent the next 30 minutes waiting for someone to answer the phone, someone finally did, but said my fiance' would have to wait 5 minutes before they could deal with the issue but it took 10 minutes before the operator finally came back on the line and FINALLY updated my fiance's EI claim to have his U.S. address and phone number. To say the least my fiance' wasn't too impressed. He was just so tired of waiting on hold and didn't want to have to wait on hold again so just kept waiting. My fiance' is hoping that AOS goes quickly (once we get married and send the AOS package off) so that at least his EAD is received quickly. I think we will just have to wait and see. I guess this is one of the drawbacks of using the K-1 route --having to wait for the EAD.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi VJers, I was trying to look at the old EI thread and logging in with my current user ID but it said my user id cannot be found. Any idea why? may be i'm a new member? :help:

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've got a question on tax, but the search doesn't allow me to search 3 letter words and I read the first few pages in this thread... My question is, if I have my EI money direct deposited into my Canadian bank account, would I still have to pay the 25% tax because I am living in the USA? I need the money to pay off things in Canada anyhow, so its a PITA transferring it all around and losing money on taxes and exchange rates etc!

Timeline

the 25% tax is automatically deducted. Customhouse.com is a great free Money change service (now owned by Western Union)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.