ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied for EI 2wks ago. I got 2 cards this past Saturday.

I am not a CR1 or a K-1, I came for a visit and got married spure of the moment. I filed for my AOS about 2wks ago, do I still qualify for EI? My last day working for my Canadian job was April 2, 2010.

Thanks for the advice.

Krys

AOS from Canadian Visitor....

02/22/2010 - Got Married.

04/24/2010 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

04/26/2010 - Package received in Chicago @ 10.16 AM by K Walker (Day 01)

04/30/2010 - Both cheques cashed / Entered in USCIS system (Day 05)

05/04/2010 - Received all 4 NOA's dated April 30, 2010 (Day 09)

05/24/2010 - Biometric letter received (FINALLY!!!)(Day 29)

06/02/2010 - Biometrics walk in DONE!!! (Day 38)

06/17/2010 - "Original" Biometrics appointment (Day 53)

06/21/2010 - Interview letter (dated June 17, 2010) (Day 57)

07/07/2010 - Approval AP (I-131) (Day 73)

07/09/2010 - 1st EAD (I-765) Card Production Order (Day 75)

07/14/2010 - 2nd EAD (I-765) Card Production Order (Day 80)

07/15/2010 - Received AP (where's my EAD??) (Day 81)

07/26/2010 - Received EAD (Day 92)

07/27/2010 - GC Interview @ 2.30pm APPROVED!!! (Day 93) (3 mths and 3 days)

07/27/2010 - Passport stamp received (I-551)

07/31/2010 - welcome letter and I-130 aproval (Day 97)

08/05/2010 - Received SSN card

08/07/2010 - RECEIVED GREEN CARD! (Day 104)

ROC

04/28/2012 - Removal of Condition window opens

07/02/2012 - Sent out ROC package

07/05/2012 - Package received @ VSC

07/06/2012 - NOA1 received

07/10/2012 - Chq cashed

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, from reading the thread, my K-1 visa holding fiance' should have his employer list "Relocated for spouse/getting married" as the reason for ending employment (I thought there was a sample form, but for the life of me, I can't find it anymore and I wanted to send the link to my fiance').

I am wondering if he actually can't file a claim until he gets to the U.S.? I know he can't get money until he gets his EAD after we get married and file AOS of paperwork, but starting the claim within a short period of his arrival in the U.S. is necessary? He would like to turn in the paperwork before he leaves Canada (aka after he quits but just a day or two before he moves). Can he do that?

Then he moves, marries me, then we wait for EAD, once he gets it, sends a copy to the ïnterstate claims office then start filling out the paper cards they send or do it over the phone? He is saying something about "NO, NO, YES, YES, NO" and then his check comes (it has been 10 years since he claimed EI) as I type this message.

Do I have process for a K-1 claiming EI correct?

Edited by lilacvioletiris

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey lady...

there is no sample form for the reason of leaving. Just tell the head of HR or whomever does that to put that as your reason for leaving. For both my jobs that I quit, I asked them to use the phrase, quit to relocate to be with US spouse as in order to collect EI spouse needs to be American and you have to be relocating and such.

I would start the claim as soon as he has his last day of work in canada. You're right, he won't get any money until the EAD stuff but at least the file is started and he's in the system adn then once he's in the US, he can file or send or whatever the forms that they need. The out of state claims people are very helpful. I much prefer Patty to Donna btw, she's been a saint to me. They are only okay with sending out the cards so you'll need to keep an eye on that and the pay days. I have found that if I'm within a day or two of sending the new cards and haven't got them yet, I'll call. and if it's a day or two before I'm due to get paid and no cards, I call and we do it over the phone. You are supposed to get cards but they aren't that super at it but they are very helpful when you call and such.

So good luck, hope it all works out, it's a very handy thing to have as a new USA person learning the rope and job searching and such. Having a bit of your own money coming in makes a huge difference.

Hope it works out for you.

So, from reading the thread, my K-1 visa holding fiance' should have his employer list "Relocated for spouse/getting married" as the reason for ending employment (I thought there was a sample form, but for the life of me, I can't find it anymore and I wanted to send the link to my fiance').

I am wondering if he actually can't file a claim until he gets to the U.S.? I know he can't get money until he gets his EAD after we get married and file AOS of paperwork, but starting the claim within a short period of his arrival in the U.S. is necessary? He would like to turn in the paperwork before he leaves Canada (aka after he quits but just a day or two before he moves). Can he do that?

Then he moves, marries me, then we wait for EAD, once he gets it, sends a copy to the ïnterstate claims office then start filling out the paper cards they send or do it over the phone? He is saying something about "NO, NO, YES, YES, NO" and then his check comes (it has been 10 years since he claimed EI) as I type this message.

Do I have process for a K-1 claiming EI correct?

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey lady...

there is no sample form for the reason of leaving. Just tell the head of HR or whomever does that to put that as your reason for leaving. For both my jobs that I quit, I asked them to use the phrase, quit to relocate to be with US spouse as in order to collect EI spouse needs to be American and you have to be relocating and such.

I would start the claim as soon as he has his last day of work in canada. You're right, he won't get any money until the EAD stuff but at least the file is started and he's in the system adn then once he's in the US, he can file or send or whatever the forms that they need. The out of state claims people are very helpful. I much prefer Patty to Donna btw, she's been a saint to me. They are only okay with sending out the cards so you'll need to keep an eye on that and the pay days. I have found that if I'm within a day or two of sending the new cards and haven't got them yet, I'll call. and if it's a day or two before I'm due to get paid and no cards, I call and we do it over the phone. You are supposed to get cards but they aren't that super at it but they are very helpful when you call and such.

So good luck, hope it all works out, it's a very handy thing to have as a new USA person learning the rope and job searching and such. Having a bit of your own money coming in makes a huge difference.

Hope it works out for you.

Did the HR office use reason K - other in box 16 and then in box 18 - quit to relocate to be with U.S. spouse? That would be easy enough to explain to my fiance' (even though we aren't "spouses" yet when he turns in his paperwork since according to you, he can do that before he leaves Canada). Excellent. I still think I saw somewhere on the Canada forum a "sample ROE" but I may be mistaken. There is an explanation form on serviceCanada which was helpful since as the US citizen, I have never seen a Record of Employment (ROE).

Edited by lilacvioletiris

My ROE said that I stated I was moving to the US. I did have any problems getting unemployment. When I applied I put in that I moved with spouse.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Timeline

My ROE said nothing with regards to moving to the USA! So it doesnt have to be a huge deal if they dont put anything there!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I still haven't received any approvals for EAD or AOS yet, but I'm wondering... in order to get my EI payments started will I need to send them a copy of the actual card or will they accept a copy of the approval notice? There seems to be quite a lengthy delay in the actual cards being sent to people, so I'm feeling like on top of everything else I'll have to wait another month after my approval before I actually get a card in the mail. If that's the case, I need to try to plan for this delay since my husband still hasn't found a job and his unemployment runs out soon...

edited to clarify: by 'cards' I mean the AOS green card or the EAD card... not the little 'cards' we fill out and send back to EI. lol

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, I still haven't received any approvals for EAD or AOS yet, but I'm wondering... in order to get my EI payments started will I need to send them a copy of the actual card or will they accept a copy of the approval notice? There seems to be quite a lengthy delay in the actual cards being sent to people, so I'm feeling like on top of everything else I'll have to wait another month after my approval before I actually get a card in the mail. If that's the case, I need to try to plan for this delay since my husband still hasn't found a job and his unemployment runs out soon...

edited to clarify: by 'cards' I mean the AOS green card or the EAD card... not the little 'cards' we fill out and send back to EI. lol

They need to see a copy of the actual card. Unfortunately.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

They need to see a copy of the actual card. Unfortunately.

#@%&*^#)$*^%&@)$*&!#)%!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh this is really bothering me. I havent gotten my EI cards in a bit now which is really wierd and any time I call I can't get ahold of anyone. I've left a message but no one has called me back yet and this morning when I try to call I can't even leave another message as their voice box is full!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Hi Danu...

I find that they are the WORST at sending out those damn cards! It's so rare that i get them without calling first or soemthing. Most times, I've ahd to fill out my cards over the phone. Call Donna at the out of state claims office number and she'll do it for you. I find that she's not so good at getting stuff done, I have found a woman named Patty is awesome. She's on vacation though til the end of the month. But i you can reach patty, do so, she's way better and getting it all done and stuff.

Good luck.

Ugh this is really bothering me. I havent gotten my EI cards in a bit now which is really wierd and any time I call I can't get ahold of anyone. I've left a message but no one has called me back yet and this morning when I try to call I can't even leave another message as their voice box is full!

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Danu...

I find that they are the WORST at sending out those damn cards! It's so rare that i get them without calling first or soemthing. Most times, I've ahd to fill out my cards over the phone. Call Donna at the out of state claims office number and she'll do it for you. I find that she's not so good at getting stuff done, I have found a woman named Patty is awesome. She's on vacation though til the end of the month. But i you can reach patty, do so, she's way better and getting it all done and stuff.

Good luck.

Thanks Lgg, I just finally got through. Apparently whoever I talked to the last time I called to get a fax # didn't put any notes or requests to have my cards send out again and they were returned so they put a fail to report on my account. Now I have to email them to beg that they pay me. *sigh*

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I replied in the vent thread but I will here too... I NEVER let them not pay me every two weeks. If cards or updates are missing, I call and get them to straighten it out. I mean, I/you/we have paid into this and I think that they should be sending you your money. Like I said in the vent thread, I call them to ensure that my payments go through every two weeks. I'm polite and such and am always told, oh yes, call us if you don't get your stuff or get paid and whatnot .So... I do.

Hope it works out. PM me if you need.

Thanks Lgg, I just finally got through. Apparently whoever I talked to the last time I called to get a fax # didn't put any notes or requests to have my cards send out again and they were returned so they put a fail to report on my account. Now I have to email them to beg that they pay me. *sigh*

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

Can't seem to find this information through searching, this thread is just too big! I am currently self-employed and not paying into EI benefits. I did previously...can I still collect EI when I leave Canada!?

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

How long does it take to evaluate a case? Mel applied for EI over 2 months ago and received some paperwork and we sent back the requested info and a copy of her greencard. We still have not heard back anything in over 2 months. I keep telling her to call, but she tells me that it's done all online and we just have to wait. So I guess my question is, is 2 months a typical timeframe for them to decide on someone's claim? Is it all done online, or can you call a number to inquire about your status to get better information?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.