ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So some people actually got EI payments before the EAD? Levi was told he didn't qualify until he had work authorization. He faxed his EAD in as soon as he got it and they told him how much he'd be receiving but still hasn't gotten an actual payment. He started this process back in September 08 as soon as he moved down.

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes - I came as a K1 - they paid me until the first 3 months ended and then restarted once I faxed them the EAD.

The lady I spoke to was Donna most of the time and she said that 'technically' they consider K1's elgible to work - of course you and I both know - who would bother trying to get a job during that tiny 3 month period. Who would hire you honestly....

But hey - it made them happy to tell me I could work, so I went along with it :) I say why confuse the EI person. I even tried to explain that really I couldn't quite work yet and she wouldn't take no for an answer.

I think Ei doesn't know their right hand from their left...and sometimes Donna changes the rules - I don't even know which is the correct rule

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes - I came as a K1 - they paid me until the first 3 months ended and then restarted once I faxed them the EAD.

The lady I spoke to was Donna most of the time and she said that 'technically' they consider K1's elgible to work - of course you and I both know - who would bother trying to get a job during that tiny 3 month period. Who would hire you honestly....

But hey - it made them happy to tell me I could work, so I went along with it :) I say why confuse the EI person. I even tried to explain that really I couldn't quite work yet and she wouldn't take no for an answer.

I think Ei doesn't know their right hand from their left...and sometimes Donna changes the rules - I don't even know which is the correct rule

Go figure lol.... Well hopefully they'll get around to Levi's. He's sure it'll be soon as he just sent in another one of those cards. I'll believe it when I see it lol. Maybe about the time he already has a job..................

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So...

I went on the Service Canada site to see if I could find info about the I-94 being proof of Work authorization and it looks like the "Employment Insurance Act" for inter-states claims was Updated on April 18th and 22nd of 2009.

Maybe this is why it took them 3 months to deny me...they knew the change was coming.

I'm still going to call Donna and see what she has to say, but this may have been something.

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

the EI "world" is a bit different. Like i stated I had to appeal my case, and the lady I talked to said, my appeal had been denied, the "judge" stated that since I had a contract with the military and broke it, i wasn't entitled to EI, BUT she said she over ruled it, and I got my EI!! Wiered,but I wasn't going to complain. But honestly--as I wasn't a k1'ers, CAN a k1 LEGALLY work without an EAD??? If one can PROVE than you can legally work without an EAD,then you have a case to appeal. Just because other k1'ers have gotten it without an EAD, isnt factual proof. Maybe someone at EI actually looked into the case, as people were complaining (like k3'ers,lol) Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
the EI "world" is a bit different. Like i stated I had to appeal my case, and the lady I talked to said, my appeal had been denied, the "judge" stated that since I had a contract with the military and broke it, i wasn't entitled to EI, BUT she said she over ruled it, and I got my EI!! Wiered,but I wasn't going to complain. But honestly--as I wasn't a k1'ers, CAN a k1 LEGALLY work without an EAD??? If one can PROVE than you can legally work without an EAD,then you have a case to appeal. Just because other k1'ers have gotten it without an EAD, isnt factual proof. Maybe someone at EI actually looked into the case, as people were complaining (like k3'ers,lol) Best of luck

I know - that's the thing, of course we can't - no one gets a work authorization stamp at the border anymore....

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I know - that's the thing, of course we can't - no one gets a work authorization stamp at the border anymore....

have just read that some say you don't need the EAD to work as a k1????? I have no clue as i didnt go that route. But if one can prove that ya don't need that EAD, then one should have a case

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So some people actually got EI payments before the EAD? Levi was told he didn't qualify until he had work authorization. He faxed his EAD in as soon as he got it and they told him how much he'd be receiving but still hasn't gotten an actual payment. He started this process back in September 08 as soon as he moved down.

Looking at your timeline, everything looks to be in order. You got your EAD on March 25th. Faxed it in to EI. It takes EI a week or two to do anything. Once you're approved to start collecting, they will (oh this is rich) hit you with a 14 day waiting period before you start receiving benefits. So that means your start date for collecting EI becomes April 8th.

Figure it on being a month between the time your unemployed week goes by and the time you receive the cheque for that week. They send out 2 or 4 week cards. So if April 8th is your first week of collecting, that means you'll probably receive the cheque sometime around May 8th.

I don't know if it's the same for everybody. But my cards came in cycles. 2 week cards...4 week cards...2 week cards....4 week cards...So sometimes a month would go by before I'd receive a payment. Sometimes it was a couple weeks. Regardless, by the time they mail you the cards and you send them back (even if sending them the day after you receive them), you can count on it being 3-4 weeks for that week's payment.

I'd say another week and you'll get your first payment.

So...

I went on the Service Canada site to see if I could find info about the I-94 being proof of Work authorization and it looks like the "Employment Insurance Act" for inter-states claims was Updated on April 18th and 22nd of 2009.

Maybe this is why it took them 3 months to deny me...they knew the change was coming.

I'm still going to call Donna and see what she has to say, but this may have been something.

I just looked over the April 18th and April 22nd updated section. I don't see any difference from the way things have always been. It simply says you must be work authorized in the US to collect from Canada. Been that way for years.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Borderdriver, yes the CBP I-94A is the I-94 I was referring to. Little square card in the passport.

Does the I94 card let me work?

I got a letter from EI stating if I can work. I know I'm K3 but the border told me I can work w/ that card... hmmmm.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Does the I94 card let me work?

I got a letter from EI stating if I can work. I know I'm K3 but the border told me I can work w/ that card... hmmmm.

Yes, no, maybe, probably not, who knows.....

That I-94 card is the most tricky part of the employment thing. EI considers the I-94 to be work authorization for K-1's. They don't seem to for K-3's. Social Security considers the I-94 to be work authorization, but US companies who hire don't. But then again they may hire you anyways since you're following proper legal channels and the I-94 is considered work authorization in a sense.

The Canada EI website says nothing, zero, zilch about the I-94 qualifying as work authorization (which is why I never filed for EI immediately after getting to the US, but instead filed after I'd submitted for my EAD.....and no they wouldn't backdate my application when I filed a dispute with them.)

The I-94 card itself says you can't work using it. The border officers at the BC/WA Peach Arch crossing say you can't work with it while the BC/WA truck crossing apparently say you can work with it.

The I-94 allows SS to issue you a SS card that says you can work.....providing that you have authorization to work (which the I-94 doesn't qualify as).

On the flip side, there have been many who did work with the I-94 and kept working right through day 91 and on since the EAD forgives them of work between the time the I-94 ends and when EAD day 1 starts. Although technically you're not supposed to work on day 91.

My personal opinion is that the I-94 DOES allow you to work since we (used to) in theory got 90 day work stamps. Some still do get 90 day stamps. And you can't have different laws depending on which border crossing you use. I don't encourage people to work on their 90 day window, but I don't tell them not to either. On the grand scale of things, we ARE following proper steps of immigration, so I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to work. The 90 day I-94 originally was probably though of as a temporary measure that would end at the same time our EAD starts. But who gets an EAD within 90 days of entering the country?

Getting back to your original question, I would say YES, the I-94 allows you to work. Let EI deal with the debate about if it is or isn't. What have you got to lose?

Edited by Texanadian

Filed: Other Country: Aruba
Timeline

According to my phone conversation with EI on tuesday .. I am work authorized as far as they are concerned i am a K-1 but i believe that comes from the type of visa you have and not the I-94 card .. every visa type comes with an I-94 it is a departure record and used to mark the day you have entered the USA with your visa i could be wrong but that is my understanding from talking to different sources ... but you can also make 5 different phone calls to the same place get 5 different people and recieve 5 different answers .. like the 2 i made to social security and 1 said i had to have an EAD to get my number and the other said i didn't....

Timeline
According to my phone conversation with EI on tuesday .. I am work authorized as far as they are concerned i am a K-1 but i believe that comes from the type of visa you have and not the I-94 card .. every visa type comes with an I-94 it is a departure record and used to mark the day you have entered the USA with your visa i could be wrong but that is my understanding from talking to different sources ... but you can also make 5 different phone calls to the same place get 5 different people and recieve 5 different answers .. like the 2 i made to social security and 1 said i had to have an EAD to get my number and the other said i didn't....

no, cr-1, or ir-1 do not get an I-94 card--in case anyone is wondering,lol

Timeline

Today I received a letter from EI Canada. i got 2 claimant reports dated from april 29 - May 16. what are those? I have no instruction letter. But there's a bunch of questions at the back of the report.

I also have a letter with a benefit statement date and personal access code.

Do they reply this fast? i faxed my copy of visa and i94 card (keep in mind im K3) and i also sent them a copy again a couple days ago (maybe 4 days ago).

at the bottom of the letter, a bunch of stuff about i have direct deposit and reporting electronically, they will stop sending me statements. I want to send my bank # now since I didnt have it at the time of application. Can i still do that? what happens if i send these reports? do they send me a cheque?

I'm worried that if i send my claimant report, i would screw myself later and have to back pay b/c I'm K3 and i dont have my EAD yet but I have I-94 card. I wonder if they sent this to me b/c I have I -94 card.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

Timeline

Send in the reports asap, because that is how you get paid through EI. You have up to 3 weeks to return them in the mail. Unfortunately out-of-country filers cannot report by phone or on the internet you so you have to manually file.

Before they send out any cheques, they will have to determine whether or not you're eligible for EI benefits. Meaning, they'll determine whether your status as K3 qualifies you for benefits. You will just keep sending in reports until they make this determination. I think it will be a ####### shoot at which adjudicator you get in the EI office and whether they know the office policy regarding K3 visa holders.

As for your banking information, if I am not mistaken you can sign-in online and provide your banking information there, so that they can set up direct deposit. Its much safer and easier than waiting for a cheque in the mail. I know being in HI, sometimes it was 3-4 weeks before I got the mail from EI.

Timeline

im trying to confirm my epass account and its telling me my info is not matching their records. :angry: I put my SIN, bday, access code, and im outside canada plus my epass password and its not going through...

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.