ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It might be a stupid question;p The EI payment will be direct deposited to your CAN bank or they will send you a cheque to your US address. Wondering if I need to keep one of my chequing account in Canada. 

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, CAKIK said:

It might be a stupid question;p The EI payment will be direct deposited to your CAN bank or they will send you a cheque to your US address. Wondering if I need to keep one of my chequing account in Canada. 

I think when you apply you have to provide banking information for direct deposit. Not sure if it has to be a Canadian bank account or not. Maybe call and ask?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I used my Canadian banking account for direct deposit. They were sending me the weekly report card though via the regular mail to the US so if you don't have the CA bank account, they might be able send you a cheque. However, it might be difficult for you to deposit it here, with the conversion plus bank policies with foreign currencies. So better keep one CA account open. Online banks are free such as Tangerine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes most keep the Canadian account to avoid foreign transaction fees on top of everything else.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 5/12/2021 at 2:18 PM, wingman23 said:

I used my Canadian banking account for direct deposit. They were sending me the weekly report card though via the regular mail to the US so if you don't have the CA bank account, they might be able send you a cheque. However, it might be difficult for you to deposit it here, with the conversion plus bank policies with foreign currencies. So better keep one CA account open. Online banks are free such as Tangerine.

Thank you for your info! I do have Tangerine as well, so I will keep it too:)

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi there, I have been reading through the comments here and want to apply for EI. Our last day of work here will be July 16th and moving on July 17th. We are F3 Family visa so we can work right away as soon as our social security cards come in the mail. 

What is an EAD I keep seeing? It looks like that might be for fiance visas?

Can I put in our applications now? Do I just go to the regular EI site to apply and select somewhere that we're moving out of country?

When will be be able to get paid and for how long if we're approved? Do I need a US bank account for direct deposit info?

Thanks for any help!

Timeline
On 6/18/2021 at 7:07 AM, MovingToFlorida said:

Hi there, I have been reading through the comments here and want to apply for EI. Our last day of work here will be July 16th and moving on July 17th. We are F3 Family visa so we can work right away as soon as our social security cards come in the mail. 

What is an EAD I keep seeing? It looks like that might be for fiance visas?

Can I put in our applications now? Do I just go to the regular EI site to apply and select somewhere that we're moving out of country?

When will be be able to get paid and for how long if we're approved? Do I need a US bank account for direct deposit info?

Thanks for any help!

EAD is work authorization when applying for adjustment of status in the US.  It applies to a good number of application types, not just fiance visas. It essentially applies to anyone requiring permission to work in the US.  If you have a green card, you are already authorized and do not require EAD.

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mam521 said:

EAD is work authorization when applying for adjustment of status in the US.  It applies to a good number of application types, not just fiance visas. It essentially applies to anyone requiring permission to work in the US.  If you have a green card, you are already authorized and do not require EAD.

Great thank you! Do you know if we require a record of employment from our employer for the EI application?

Timeline
Just now, MovingToFlorida said:

Great thank you! Do you know if we require a record of employment from our employer for the EI application?

Sorry, I can't help you with that.  I've not filed for EI while in the US.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

No worries. I thought it was Canada we filed EI in not the US?

Yes, you do file in Canada.  But many Canucks on this thread filed in Canada while living in the US.  I've not filed for EI. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Yes, you do file in Canada.  But many Canucks on this thread filed in Canada while living in the US.  I've not filed for EI. 

Oh ok, well thank you for your answer 🙂

• 5 months later...
Timeline
On 8/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, NikLR said:

The hard part is you should apply within 4 weeks of quitting too

@NikLR I am surprised and pleased to learn that one can be eligible for EI when moving to the states on IR1/CR1. Could you please help me understand:

1. You mentioned one needs to apply within 4 weeks of quitting your job in Canada. So if you apply after 4 weeks, you will not be approved?

2. When you say quitting, do you mean your last day at work in Canada, or the day you submit your resignation letter?

2. Can one apply before leaving for the US?

3. What if one does not receive their SSN within 4 weeks of "quitting" are they forever ineligible or can they apply after getting the SSN.

@Tofu @A&RN Would appreciate your thoughts too....

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I called the overseas EI office number - 1 (877) 486 1650 on Tuesday, Dec 14 and left a message. It is Thursday now. How long do they take to call you back?

Timeline
On 11/22/2021 at 11:31 AM, From_CAN_2_US said:

@NikLR I am surprised and pleased to learn that one can be eligible for EI when moving to the states on IR1/CR1. Could you please help me understand:

1. You mentioned one needs to apply within 4 weeks of quitting your job in Canada. So if you apply after 4 weeks, you will not be approved?

2. When you say quitting, do you mean your last day at work in Canada, or the day you submit your resignation letter?

2. Can one apply before leaving for the US?

3. What if one does not receive their SSN within 4 weeks of "quitting" are they forever ineligible or can they apply after getting the SSN.

@Tofu @A&RN Would appreciate your thoughts too....

Hi there, 

I had called the number in Canada and was told I was eligible. In the end, I didn’t end up applying because I was hired in the US very quickly after crossing the border. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.