ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, Ptitchou said:

Is there an updated FAQ on this topic that would be valid for present year? (2021) I'm looking into this option but this thread is 1000s of posts long and spans years. 

Hey, I called Service Canada last week (2/16/21) to confirm that we are in fact eligible and the answer is yes.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Tofu said:

Hey, I called Service Canada last week (2/16/21) to confirm that we are in fact eligible and the answer is yes.  

Just to add my 2cents here - I just recently applied for it and it got approved. Applied Dec 2020 and approved Jan/Feb 2021. I quit my job Jan 2020 to migrate here but took my time to apply for the EI. Good thing that the evaluator still considered my application. I have to leave them a message and they called me back and explained to them my circumstances. Just a sound advise - please apply for it immediately so there will be no questions afterwards. 

In the application forms, you'll have a space there to explain why you quit your job because normally, you are not eligible for EI if you quit your work. For our cases, we quit because we needed to be with your spouse and you'll be able to explain it in the form as well. In my case, they required me to fill out another form to explain or provide information why I was out of Canada and mailed it back to them.

It's just tedious that we can't file our reports online. In my case, I receive the form on a regular mail and send it back to them. Long process but works. :)

7 hours ago, wingman23 said:

Just to add my 2cents here - I just recently applied for it and it got approved. Applied Dec 2020 and approved Jan/Feb 2021. I quit my job Jan 2020 to migrate here but took my time to apply for the EI. Good thing that the evaluator still considered my application. I have to leave them a message and they called me back and explained to them my circumstances. Just a sound advise - please apply for it immediately so there will be no questions afterwards. 

In the application forms, you'll have a space there to explain why you quit your job because normally, you are not eligible for EI if you quit your work. For our cases, we quit because we needed to be with your spouse and you'll be able to explain it in the form as well. In my case, they required me to fill out another form to explain or provide information why I was out of Canada and mailed it back to them.

It's just tedious that we can't file our reports online. In my case, I receive the form on a regular mail and send it back to them. Long process but works. :)

Hi there! What number did you call?

Timeline
9 hours ago, INF said:

Took about 2 hours but I just called the general service canada line :

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-telephone-reporting.html

Timeline
10 hours ago, INF said:

Ill look for the number later. It was in the letter that they sent out to me when they initially reviewed my application, together with my pin.

8 hours ago, Tofu said:

Took about 2 hours but I just called the general service canada line :

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-telephone-reporting.html

Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello, 

New to this thread. Just moved to US on March 6th to live with my spouse on a CR-1. Is there an FAQ or some document I can use that summarizes this? I am trying to file EI till I get a job here. I called Service Canada EI and they told me that their system says I can't claim Canadian EI when I have moved to US. I had to then tell her that it is on the Government of Canada website and she said that's completely different than the information they have in their system on EI benefits in US. So... now she is checking again because I directed her to the link on the canada.ca website...

Thanks!

Edited by A&RN

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/25/2021 at 4:40 PM, wingman23 said:

On 2/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, INF said:

Thank you!!!

On 3/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, A&RN said:

Hello, 

New to this thread. Just moved to US on March 6th to live with my spouse on a CR-1. Is there an FAQ or some document I can use that summarizes this? I am trying to file EI till I get a job here. I called Service Canada EI and they told me that their system says I can't claim Canadian EI when I have moved to US. I had to then tell her that it is on the Government of Canada website and she said that's completely different than the information they have in their system on EI benefits in US. So... now she is checking again because I directed her to the link on the canada.ca website...

Thanks!

I called the general EI office yesterday and they gave me this no. 1-877-486-1650. They called me back the next day after I left a voicemail. And they walked me through the necessary steps.

Btw, does anyone know if we are eligible to work as soon as we cross the border on CR1 visa? or do we have to wait till we get the SSN?  (see question below from the form)

I only crossed the border on March 14th and SSN office says wait at least 3 weeks after your Is the date the day I crossed the border or when I receive the SSN? Any advice from people who have already gone through this process would be super helpful as I don't want to wait around....

image.thumb.png.0972c1acf07ed048f01fd348a0ac04b4.png

Edited by 2Ps

Timeline
4 hours ago, 2Ps said:

I called the general EI office yesterday and they gave me this no. 1-877-486-1650. They called me back the next day after I left a voicemail. And they walked me through the necessary steps.

Btw, does anyone know if we are eligible to work as soon as we cross the border on CR1 visa? or do we have to wait till we get the SSN?  (see question below from the form)

I only crossed the border on March 14th and SSN office says wait at least 3 weeks after your Is the date the day I crossed the border or when I receive the SSN? Any advice from people who have already gone through this process would be super helpful as I don't want to wait around....

image.thumb.png.0972c1acf07ed048f01fd348a0ac04b4.png

Thanks for the info, I will keep this in mind for when I apply! 

Yes, you are allowed to work as soon as you cross, the stamp in your visa works as temporary evidence until you receive your SSN -- the below reference is not from Canada, but works same for Canadian immigrants. 

https://www.siam-legal.com/US_Visa/cr1-visa-requirements.php

Timeline

Hey Guys,

Before exploring this thread I have no idea that one can apply EI after relocating to US.

I am a spouse visa applicant and expecting to move in July.

Kindly keep sharing your process. Thx

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
49 minutes ago, pooj97 said:

Hey guys I wanted to confirm, K1 applicants cannot do this, correct? Or is it still possible 

I did and was on a K1 but that was 2012

K1 Visa
2011-02-03 - I-129F NOA1
2011-06-16 - I-129F RFE
2011-09-01 - I-129F NOA2
2011-11-23 - Interview Date
2011-12-05 - Visa Received
2011-12-18 - US Entry
2012-02-11 - Marriage
AOS
2012-02-23 - NOA1 date for I-485 Petition (AOS), I-765 Petition (EAD), & I-131 Petition (AP)
2012-03-22 - Hard copy of transfer to CSC
2012-03-24 - Hard copy of biometrics appointment
2012-04-17 - Biometrics appointment in Norfolk, VA
2012-04-26 - Received EAD/AP combo card via USPS
2012-09-08 - Received hard copy of RFE #1(missing medical information)
2012-10-20 - Hard copy of RFE #2(Requires another copy of hubby's divorce decree)
2012-11-10 - Email Card/ Document Production
2012-11-14 - Email registered permanent resident status
2012-11-16 - Email card mailed
2012-11-19 - Card Received... whoohooo!!

ROC

2014-08-14 - Mailed I-751 petition to VSC via priority mail

2014-08-22 - Rcvd NOA1 dated 2014-08-18

2014-09-19 - Biometrics apt @9am

2015-02-21 - Received RFE dated 2015-02-17 (more evidence over the 2 years)

2015-04-09 - RFE response mailed, took awhile we were in the process of moving

2015-04-24 - Card Production email and text received at 2pm

2015-05-02 - Card Received via priority mail, left in mailbox

N-400

2023-02-16 - Filed online

2023-02-16 - Receipt Notice

2023-02-18 - Biometric Notification

2023-03-09 - Biometric Appointment

2023-07-11 - Interview @ 10am APPROVED

2023-08-17 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled Notification Received

2023-09-18 - Oath Ceremony @ 1pm, Siegel Center in Richmond!

2023-09-21 - Registered to vote

2023-09-28 - Updated records with Social Security

2023-10-03 - Applied for passport

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rayoflight said:

I did and was on a K1 but that was 2012

Can you elaborate a little? Did you apply for EI in Canada or for EI in the US and then they gave you unemployment until you got your work permit and were  able to find a job in the US?

Timeline

Hey all - update from the EI claim after moving here. Once we leave Canada and have eligibility to work in USA (which you would with Spousal visa, not sure about Fiance), we get 'transferred' to Interstate Claims Department. They are the ones who look at our application, approve us and where we have to submit reports etc. The number to call is +1 877 486 1650, as someone stated above. Whenever you move here and call them, you have to leave a voicemail, that's how they call you back. If you don't leave a voicemail and keep trying, you won't get a call back... that's my understanding. 

I was told that I am eligible and I have to submit a report every 2 weeks, as you would in Canada. Ideally, they ask you to submit paper reports unlike internet report that you can send in Canada. However, because of postal delays right now, they have asked everybody to call in every 2 weeks to submit the reports. You are eligible to receive EI from Canada as long as you have work authorization here in US and you are available to work. 

Let me know if you all have any questions!

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, I'm reading, and scrolling through all the latest posts but I'm having trouble finding out...

1) How do you apply for this?

2) When do you need to apply for this?

3) Who can apply for this?

Can anyone advise or give me a quick breakdown?

Also any links to the EI websites where I apply or can read up on this?

My husband and I are F3 family visa moving to be with our parents and will be quitting our jobs in Canada and looking for new jobs after we move to the US.

Thank you for any help! I'm so lost 😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.