Mahalko808

Joint Sponsor Qualifications because I got laid off ...

11 posts in this topic

I got laid off from my job and it seems really difficult to land another job in time for the immigration process if I'm being realistic.

My wife's cousin is a green card holder who has lived in America for about 7 months now with just 1 tax return so far. Does she qualify to be joint sponsor? Her cousin doesn't live with me, so she's not considered part of my household.

From what I've read, it seems that a "join sponsor" would need 3 years worth of tax returns and be in the same household as me? When I asked Emma and spoke with a live agent, they pointed me to these links:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864a.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864ainstr.pdf

Anyone applying to be a permanent resident through a family member must have a sponsor. A sponsor is also required for a family member coming to work for a relative, or for a company in which a relative owns 5 percent or more of the company. If the petitioner does not meet the financial qualifications, the income of certain other household members can be added into the income level of the petitioner if that household member signs a contract on Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, agreeing to make their income and/or assets available for the support of the petitioner’s relative applying for permanent residence. If the petitioner still cannot meet the financial qualifications, another person will need to complete a separate Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to become a joint financial sponsor of the petitioner’s relative. If you choose to become the joint sponsor, you must meet all sponsorship requirements separately, including the minimum income requirements for your household, and must be willing to assume, along with the petitioner, financial liability for the sponsored immigrant. All sponsors must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, be at least 18, and be living in the United States (including territories and possessions) when they file the affidavit of support.

Edited by Mahalko808

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mahalko808 said:

Does she qualify to be join sponsor?

Not even close 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Employed or self employed?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mahalko808 said:

My wife's cousin is employed as a nurse for a hospital.

It depends on her income.

She only needs to submit the previous year's tax return.  Years 2 and 3 are optional.  She does need to have filed 3 years of taxes or explain why she did not.  In her case, 2020 and 2021 taxes were not filed because she immigrated in 2022.

Joint sponsors do not need to leave in the same household.

Timeline

I would be very surprised if she does not meet the requirements all the nurses I have met are very well paid 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I would be very surprised if she does not meet the requirements all the nurses I have met are very well paid 

the income definitely qualifies her. I'm just worried about if she has to live in my household address to qualify. Talking to USCIS agents so far, they say the "joint sponsor" needs to live in the same household as me, so it has me worried.

Timeline

She does not have to live in the same State

~~ Topic moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures ~~

13 hours ago, Mahalko808 said:

I'm just worried about if she has to live in my household address to qualify

She does not have to live in the same household. 

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

41 minutes ago, Mahalko808 said:

My wife's cousin is looking to be our joint sponsor, but she's lived in America for less than a year. We're told we need to make a letter to explain that situation because we may need 3 years worth of tax documents. 

I'm not sure what talking points to include, but here's my try at it and I would appreciate any feedback:

To the National Visa Center,

My name is ___, I'm the cousin of the intending immigrant ___. I am currently a US Permanent citizen Resident looking to be her joint sponsor. According to the requirements of the Affidavit of Support, form I-864, I need to report my taxes. I'd like to clarify that I've only lived in America for a few months and have filed my taxes for the previous year. Therefore I can't provide tax documents pertaining to the past 3 years.

Attached you'll find my most recent w-2, 1040, and tax transcript.

Thank you for your understanding,

That's fine.  Or instead of a letter, just add a note in the Additional Information section (part 11) of the I-864 form.  Say that the sponsor was not required to file taxes for year 2020 & 2021 because they were not yet a US resident at the time.

[EDIT]  Note correction in red in quoted text.

Edited by Chancy
correction in quote

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, Chancy said:

but she's lived in America for less than a year

To the OP, evidence of current income for the joint sponsor is key in this case.  A letter from the  employer stating current income, and a few recent  pay stubs would suffice.  On the I864, current annual income is the recent month''s pay x 12.  The officer will make a decision based on the totality of the circumstances.  There is no guarantee that even if the joint sponsor's current income is enough, that it will be approved.  They may be concerned about the brief income history in the US, maybe not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.