HUGOC9999

N600 Request for Initial Evidence

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I’m a derived US citizen. My parents applied for my passport at a local post office after I had became a permanent resident at age 14. My father was a naturalized US citizen and was and still is married to my mother. I fall under the child citizenship act of 2000 INA 320. I have been using US passports so far as proof of citizenship and am now 31 years old. My parents never applied for my certificate of citizenship and I want proof other than my passport of my US citizenship. So I decided to apply form N600 in January, had a biometrics appointment in March and today I received an RFE requesting evidence of my dads physical custody of me from age 14 till 18. I have a few questions because I am really freaking out:

1. I can’t find any sort of records that would allow me demostrare I was living with my father during that time. I left my house and started living with an aunt right before turning 17. Would that be an issue ? Even though I was already a U.S. citizen at that time. My parents and sister were still living together. 

2. What would happen if my N600 be denied? Would I “lose” my citizenship or would I still be able to use my us passport. I also got my daughter a CRBA and US passport while living abroad, what would happen to her status? 

3. I am also petitioning for my wife a CR1 visa who lives abroad and we just got the interview letter. We were really happy until I saw the N600 RFE. The only reason I applied for it was because I heard it might be needed during my wife’s visa process. Would this be an issue? If the consular officer were to ask for it during the interview, would I be able to submit some sort of explanation letter stating how I obtained my citizenship and that the N600 is in progress ? 

i would really appreciate any advice. Thank you!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. No, because if you were in his physical custody any time between the day you became an LPR and the day you left for your aunt, you met the requirement.

2. You are still a U.S. citizen, but heaven help you if you attempt to renew a passport with a lost or damaged passport. You do have a passport card right? Once N-600 is denied it is over; no second chance. N-600 this many years after the fact is not DIY

3.Might be an issue. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.