Howy

I-129F: Error on Affidavit of Loss

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In June 2022, my fiance lost his USA-issued passport upon visiting me here in the Philippines. He filed for an affidavit of loss, and he received an emergency passport (to be used for him return to the States after his visit).

Now, we are using the affidavit of loss to explain the loss of earlier passport stamps on his visit in June 2022. My fiance is filing his I-129F petition.

However, this 2023, it is only coming to me that there is a clerical error on the affidavit: it mentions there that my fiance is "a holder of a USA passport, issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs (PH)" instead of the Department of State (US).

Should I file for an affidavit of correction now, or will this error be excused by the USCIS officer?

Will this be grounds for an RFE, or am I being delusional?

Edited by Howard L
Clarity

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Howard L said:

Now, we are using the affidavit of loss to explain the loss of earlier passport stamps on his visit in June 2022. My fiance is filing his I-129F petition.

Who is asking for entry stamps?

4 hours ago, Howard L said:

we are using the affidavit of loss to explain the loss of earlier passport stamps on his visit in June 2022.

Submitting the affidavit of loss would be pointless.  Passport stamps in a lost passport is not evidence.  Focus your time and energy on submitting evidence that you actually have.  Try boarding passes, receipts from the Philippines with the USC's name/card, credit card statements.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Submitting the affidavit of loss would be pointless

Assuming it was an actual affidavit signed in front of a U.S. consular officer, then that is proof OP’s petitioner was in the Philippines on the date the officer witnessed the signature.

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Assuming it was an actual affidavit signed in front of a U.S. consular officer, then that is proof OP’s petitioner was in the Philippines on the date the officer witnessed the signature.

I agree if that is the case.  Also, the emergency passport would have an exit stamp from Philippine immigration when the fiance left to fly back.  Not sure why there is a need to explain the missing earlier stamps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Chancy,

I read you and Mike E's posts and am considering to ge rid of the affidavit of loss now. Just to be clear though:

My fiance's lost passport might've had an entry stamp to the Philippines (as well as earlier stamps from other stops to get to the PH). Will the USCIS officer not wonder about this, and instead put two and two together with just the exit stamp on the emergency passport?

Sorry if I sound like a broken record 😅.

3 minutes ago, Howard L said:

Will the USCIS officer not wonder about this, and instead put two and two together with just the exit stamp on the emergency passport?

Support the exit stamp with boarding passes, receipts, photos of the two of you together.  The USCIS officer will not care about missing stamps or why they are missing.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Howard L said:

Will the USCIS officer not wonder about this, and instead put two and two together with just the exit stamp on the emergency passport?

I am in the minority of K-1 petitioners  on Visa Journey who:

* did not provide stamps (or boarding passes) in my evidence of having met in the last 2 years, 

* believes stamps are not necessary evidence,

* believes photos together are essential evidence, and

* hotel bookings and airline receipts are the most powerful evidence because who would spend all that money and not fly? 

My fiancee, now wife, is a U.S. citizen now, and she entered on a K-1. 

Read this blog post about one Consular Officer’s view on stamps as evidence:

http://theconsulsfiles.blogspot.com/2011/02/bienvenue-enfants.html?m=1

Do this," she told the officers.  "If you intend to refuse an applicant for any reason and if the passport is still pristine, tell him in exactly these words, 'I'm sorry but you don't qualify for a US visa.  After all, you've never traveled out of your own country before.  You've never even been to France.'"

The officers laughed and complied, because they liked her but still wanted to prove her wrong.

And guess what?

In less than a month, every single NIV applicant's passport showed a week's recent travel to France:  a visa, and Charles de Gaulle airport arrival and departure stamps.

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.